ADVERTISEMENT

So much for the Fat Slobs Rumors

well that's my point, his whole career was saying stuff in poor taste. he once told me on the radio that he wishes i go outside, slip on ice, hit my head on the ground and die lol. not even kidding.

but to get back on subject, he's said a million things that were poor taste, it's his thing. just weird that the kennedy thing was it, since most people probably felt the same.
I'm not sure "most people" want to see anyone murdered but at the end of the day, it was the station's call. Is what it is.

Yeah, exactly. If he were any kind of real reporter or journalist, if someone tells him something like that he contacts his sources and tries to determine if it's true or not. But Madden is neither of those, he's a bomb thrower, so he hears something juicy that he likes and that happens to play into the story he's been trying to sell and he runs with it. He doesn't care if it's true, because it brings him attention. And attention is the goal, not the truth.

And then he can use the old line, "well I'm just repeating what someone told me." As if that excuses what he did.

My biggest issue with Madden is not reporting what he heard in the first place, but after Kenny came out and denied it, Madden verbatim said Kenny was lying.

It's horse crap. Madden doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Gotta be honest here, I think many people here are overly sensitive when it comes to the local media and Pitt. But now I have a slight beef:

Was listening to Poni and Mueller this week. Poni is no longer than Kenny cheerleader he once was. Fair enough, as there are plenty of questions with Kenny. But Mueller is a major basher. I’ve always had a problem with that because while there are questions, nothing regarding Picketts play is a closed case.

So back to my beef. They talked about the locker room and specifically how the wide receiver room prefers Rudolph and used Johnson’s quotes as proof of that. But as I recall, Johnson’s quotes where he indicated that he backed Rudolph over Kenny were out of context and if the entire interview were replayed it would show that. Am I remembering that correctly? And if so it irks me that they run with those quotes as fact, then it cements a narrative when they know, or should know that the quotes are not fact.

Gotta be honest here, I think many people here are overly sensitive when it comes to the local media and Pitt. But now I have a slight beef:

Was listening to Poni and Mueller this week. Poni is no longer than Kenny cheerleader he once was. Fair enough, as there are plenty of questions with Kenny. But Mueller is a major basher. I’ve always had a problem with that because while there are questions, nothing regarding Picketts play is a closed case.

So back to my beef. They talked about the locker room and specifically how the wide receiver room prefers Rudolph and used Johnson’s quotes as proof of that. But as I recall, Johnson’s quotes where he indicated that he backed Rudolph over Kenny were out of context and if the entire interview were replayed it would show that. Am I remembering that correctly? And if so it irks me that they run with those quotes as fact, then it cements a narrative when they know, or should know that the quotes are not fact.
I think you are correct. I would argue he probably preferred Mason simply because he had success with him as QB but I don’t think he was trying to divide the room.

Let’s face it there is nothing positive to talk about in Pittsburgh pro sports and the landscape of terrestrial radio is struggling. So you need controversey to gain ratings or clicks.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

Dionte has been pretty outspoken about being in mason's corner and not Pickett's. cant say i blame him either.

Johnson hasn't exactly played like someone whose opinion should matter.

Johnson hasn't exactly played like someone whose opinion should matter.
sounds like he's actively trying to get traded with pickett being the expected starter. think that might be best for both sides.. really got to get a decent guy in FA though if we get rid of dionte..

Cant go into ths year with Pickens, Calvin Austin and a 3rd or 4th Rd wide receiver in the draft, that would be a disaster.. Tee higgins is off the books as is Mike evans. we all love tyler boyd but could you get away with him and pckens? Not sure that puts much fear in defenses to be honest..

Could we afford a PIttman?

sounds like he's actively trying to get traded with pickett being the expected starter. think that might be best for both sides.. really got to get a decent guy in FA though if we get rid of dionte..

Cant go into ths year with Pickens, Calvin Austin and a 3rd or 4th Rd wide receiver in the draft, that would be a disaster.. Tee higgins is off the books as is Mike evans. we all love tyler boyd but could you get away with him and pckens? Not sure that puts much fear in defenses to be honest..

Could we afford a PIttman?

Yeah, it's a precarious spot to be in. I think the ideal situation is to ride it out with Johnson (there's a joke in there, I think) and then take a receiver in the first round next season. But it's pretty obvious he doesn't want to play with Pickett.

Reactions: pittdan77
Yeah, it's a precarious spot to be in. I think the ideal situation is to ride it out with Johnson (there's a joke in there, I think) and then take a receiver in the first round next season. But it's pretty obvious he doesn't want to play with Pickett.
not sure what his market value is, can you get a 3rd Rd pick for him? IF so, do it, use it for a WR, possibly even use the 2nd rd pick for a WR and get a decent WR in free agent..

IF you pick the right rookie WR in the draft, and pick up someone like a Boyd, you could get away with Pickens, Free Agent, decent Rookie WR and a CA 3. of course you really NEED Pickens to just have that consistent year that we know he can do. almost like a top 10 WR production..

I've actually been a DIonte supporter believe it or not but man, dude just wants no parts of pickett or the steelers anymore and will quit in mid game and not only quit but be vocal about it. We have enough headaches on this roster.

Pickens isnt a fan of Pickett either but at least if you prioritize him, get an OC that can actually utilize him and come up with a decent passing scheme, i think Pickens could come around a bit on playing with Pickett.

I think the idea of going into the season with no real competition for Pickett as QB1 is ridiculous. I’d at the very least be making sure Rudolph sticks around and having a true qb competition. I don’t like the idea of Tannehill. Wilson would be good but I doubt he wants to go somewhere where it would be an uphill battle to be the starter.

The reports last week that the Steelers want Wilson as a backup are hilarious if true.

not sure what his market value is, can you get a 3rd Rd pick for him? IF so, do it, use it for a WR, possibly even use the 2nd rd pick for a WR and get a decent WR in free agent..

IF you pick the right rookie WR in the draft, and pick up someone like a Boyd, you could get away with Pickens, Free Agent, decent Rookie WR and a CA 3. of course you really NEED Pickens to just have that consistent year that we know he can do. almost like a top 10 WR production..

I can't imagine getting higher than a 3, but I guess it's possible to get a 2 if a team is desperate enough. I mean if you hold onto him until free agency you'd probably get a compensation pick anyway (or at least he would factor into the overall calculation). I don't think that would be until the 2026 draft, but still. Just makes more sense to keep him, in my opinion. He may pout now, but he has every incentive to expend max effort once camp begins, because it's a contract season. Still sucks, though.

I think the idea of going into the season with no real competition for Pickett as QB1 is ridiculous. I’d at the very least be making sure Rudolph sticks around and having a true qb competition. I don’t like the idea of Tannehill. Wilson would be good but I doubt he wants to go somewhere where it would be an uphill battle to be the starter.

The reports last week that the Steelers want Wilson as a backup are hilarious if true.

Feels like we're in limbo as a team. Instead of sewing a bunch of patches on, I wish we would commit to a soft rebuild. I would trade Watt, make a few other moves, and have a goal of competing for championships as early as 2026. But we won't do that.

Can you provide that interview? I’ve seen out of context quotes.
Steelers’ receiver Diontae Johnson didn’t shy away when asked about Rudolph, singing the praises of his quarterback.

“I’ve been on the Mason plane, so it wasn’t nothing I wasn’t expecting for him not to do,” Johnson said about Rudolph’s play. “I kind of had high hopes of him doing what he’s been doing when he became the starter. I hope he gets the job next year, and do what he’s got to do. But he did a great job, in my opinion.”

I think Mason deserves a chance to start, be it here or elsewhere. He’s not getting any younger and he showed a lot last year. Yes, small sample size. But also not easy to come in like he did and have success pretty much straight away. He seems like a good guy who doesn’t whine/complain and is also a good leader.

A few things....

I agree with FK on Pickett. I don't know why people have just completely written him off without seeing how he performs in a new offense with new coaching. The game after Canada was fired, he was fine.

I do have my doubts on Pickett. He has two flaws, both of them likely fatal in becoming a good NFL QB. He is not reading the defenses fast enough. And he bails on the pocket too much and does that ridiculous spin a rama which just is death. When Ben was scrambling, you watch him, his eyes were always focused down the field. Kenny is looking at the rushing linemen and linebackers, Ben was looking for WR;s to get open. That's huge. It is akin to a pitcher who is afraid to throw strikes.

The Fan. I have to think that the Fan's management has gone to Poni and Mueller and focused them to talk Stillers, Stillers, Stillers and Stillers some more. Especially QB. Because they are opposite Madden and Madden will talk hockey. It was funny, I turned on Madden yesterday because I wanted to hear anything about a potential Jake Guentzel trade, and he was remarking that there is no way the radio show hosts want to talk Steelers 365/24/7. No way. It is being forced on them, Of course he laughed as Zeise is filling in for Starkey and Zeise talked like ZERO Stillers because he just don't care.

A few things....

I agree with FK on Pickett. I don't know why people have just completely written him off without seeing how he performs in a new offense with new coaching. The game after Canada was fired, he was fine.

I do have my doubts on Pickett. He has two flaws, both of them likely fatal in becoming a good NFL QB. He is not reading the defenses fast enough. And he bails on the pocket too much and does that ridiculous spin a rama which just is death. When Ben was scrambling, you watch him, his eyes were always focused down the field. Kenny is looking at the rushing linemen and linebackers, Ben was looking for WR;s to get open. That's huge. It is akin to a pitcher who is afraid to throw strikes.

The Fan. I have to think that the Fan's management has gone to Poni and Mueller and focused them to talk Stillers, Stillers, Stillers and Stillers some more. Especially QB. Because they are opposite Madden and Madden will talk hockey. It was funny, I turned on Madden yesterday because I wanted to hear anything about a potential Jake Guentzel trade, and he was remarking that there is no way the radio show hosts want to talk Steelers 365/24/7. No way. It is being forced on them, Of course he laughed as Zeise is filling in for Starkey and Zeise talked like ZERO Stillers because he just don't care.
the Fan needs a shake up. i actually like poni and mueller but just non-stop steeler talk gets soo old. im at the point where im craving even a little pirate talk and we arent even getting that...

I know it's yinzer nation but maybe bring in some people from outside of the area and not just shuffle around the same names in different slots. a new perspective would work. I loved that Greg Gianotti dude but he quickly got bigger and better offers..

Bring in someone new to talk about national sports, nba maybe (and im not even an nba fan), hell anything else but the same damn steelers topic.

All the Fan is is whatever the steelers topic of the day is, the guys give their opening monologue on it and take calls from yinzers who all have one of 2 opinions on the topic. That's it, that's 93.7 and pretty much sports talk in pittsburgh. Make a point in the monologue and take non stop calls from yinzers for the next 3 hours..

Steelers’ receiver Diontae Johnson didn’t shy away when asked about Rudolph, singing the praises of his quarterback.

“I’ve been on the Mason plane, so it wasn’t nothing I wasn’t expecting for him not to do,” Johnson said about Rudolph’s play. “I kind of had high hopes of him doing what he’s been doing when he became the starter. I hope he gets the job next year, and do what he’s got to do. But he did a great job, in my opinion.”
Yeah that’s the one. But the entire interview gives different context. But in a vacuum the quote looks anti Pickett. It certainly garnered headlines. It wasn’t meant that way if I recall correctly.

the Fan needs a shake up. i actually like poni and mueller but just non-stop steeler talk gets soo old. im at the point where im craving even a little pirate talk and we arent even getting that...

I know it's yinzer nation but maybe bring in some people from outside of the area and not just shuffle around the same names in different slots. a new perspective would work. I loved that Greg Gianotti dude but he quickly got bigger and better offers..

Bring in someone new to talk about national sports, nba maybe (and im not even an nba fan), hell anything else but the same damn steelers topic.

All the Fan is is whatever the steelers topic of the day is, the guys give their opening monologue on it and take calls from yinzers who all have one of 2 opinions on the topic. That's it, that's 93.7 and pretty much sports talk in pittsburgh. Make a point in the monologue and take non stop calls from yinzers for the next 3 hours..
I think they’re excellent during the season because they can spend two days talking about the previous Sunday and three days discussing the upcoming Sunday. Even though it was really Kenny-centric talk. But now there’s only so much you can talk about before it’s tiresome.

And my problem with Mueller is he thinks his player evaluations are better than NFL people who get paid to do it for a living.

Ron Cook was doing damage control for PUS on the day the internal investigation dropped by the former FBI guy. His coverage of the matter was disgusting. I don't tend to attack people, but this guy is very biased/unfair. He hates putt and belittles them every chance he gets and heaps praise on PUS even as a report on their abuse drops. Awful person.

I happened to be in town when the report (Louie Freeh?) Dropped And about dropped my hammer as I was working on the vacation house.

Cook said many times..."The Joe Paterno I knew would have never done what he was accused of"

I don't know where the, "he doesn't want to play with Pickett," comes from. Whether he said it or not, his snap count went down when Rudolph started. It's almost as if the Steelers took him out of the offense. I know he was hurt in the first game so I don't know if he reinjured himself or what.

If it's just a bad attitude about Pickett, he'll still be here. If there is a greater issue, the Steelers will probably move him.

I get the reservations on concerns on KP. But the media frenzy attacking him is over the top. Here’s another “sources” arricle today in another attempt to shit all over KP
It’s total bullshit and it’s pretty much indicative of the sad state of journalism today.

As a said I think there are legitimate concerns about KP but it’s also not like he’s not shown flashes of being a solid qb

I hope all this crap adds further fire for him so worrk his ass off and prove these morons wrong

https://triblive.com/sports/tim-ben...ickett-but-be-aware-of-who-is-being-critical/

I get the reservations on concerns on KP. But the media frenzy attacking him is over the top. Here’s another “sources” arricle today in another attempt to shit all over KP
It’s total bullshit and it’s pretty much indicative of the sad state of journalism today.

As a said I think there are legitimate concerns about KP but it’s also not like he’s not shown flashes of being a solid qb

I hope all this crap adds further fire for him so worrk his ass off and prove these morons wrong

https://triblive.com/sports/tim-ben...ickett-but-be-aware-of-who-is-being-critical/

I wonder if by some chance the Steelers draft Drew Allar if he would be put through the same scrutiny. Somehow I know what the answer would be

Reactions: Dan1911

The Pittsburgh sports media reminds me of a lot of bored, lonely housewives who has nothing better to do with their time but bitch and complain about shit. The PG clowns are worst.

Last edited:
The Pittsburgh sports media reminds me of a lot of bored, lonely housewives who nothing better to do with their time but bitch and complain about shit. The PG clowns are worst.

PG Pitt coverage has improved lately, they have 2 beat writers on coverage of Football & basketball, although Hiles recently announced he was moving to the Pirates (wasn't real thrilled with Hiles, thought McGonigle did a better job). The opinion writers, specifically Starkey & Cook are very bad. Mackey was named the replacement for Cook so it remains to be seen if their tone will change.

But I would put Madden, Benz, Yohe & Adamski as worse than anything the PG can offer up. Honorable mention is Kaboly & Mueller.

What makes me scratch my head is that 2 months ago the media was okay with Pickett and Rudolph and what transpired. Pickett was given the benefit of the doubt considering he had a good game against Cincinnati with the new play caller tandem. Then he got hurt. That same media while blowing Mason like he was Joe Montana completely discounted the fact that Rudolph beat two lousy defensive teams and then beat a Ravens team with all stars on the sideline.

Fast forward that same media has pretty much vilified Picket. You would think based on radio and blogger types in western Pa that Picket was a convicted felon headed to NFL jail time.

PG Pitt coverage has improved lately, they have 2 beat writers on coverage of Football & basketball, although Hiles recently announced he was moving to the Pirates (wasn't real thrilled with Hiles, thought McGonigle did a better job). The opinion writers, specifically Starkey & Cook are very bad. Mackey was named the replacement for Cook so it remains to be seen if their tone will change.

But I would put Madden, Benz, Yohe & Adamski as worse than anything the PG can offer up. Honorable mention is Kaboly & Mueller.
Remember. The judgment of what makes a good sportwriter is NOT their opinion on Pitt sports. Some of you live in this myopic view.

you think Madden, Benz and Cook are good at what they do?
Yes. They stir shit and get people pissed off

Madden and his side bitch especially know there are a lot of Pitt fans and yimzer Steeler fans in this region. So shitting on KP gets the Pitt fans riled up and feeds into the yinzers who always think the second string qb is the next messiah to take their stillers to the promised land. It’s a win win for these creeps

Yes. They stir shit and get people pissed off

Madden and his side bitch especially know there are a lot of Pitt fans and yimzer Steeler fans in this region. So shitting on KP gets the Pitt fans riled up and feeds into the yinzers who always think the second string qb is the next messiah to take their stillers to the promised land. It’s a win win for these creeps
That makes them entertainers. They're not good writers.

Yeah that’s the one. But the entire interview gives different context. But in a vacuum the quote looks anti Pickett. It certainly garnered headlines. It wasn’t meant that way if I recall correctly.
Mason isn’t on the roster - so it doesn’t matter

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT