ADVERTISEMENT

Softball: Lack of Pitching Is Killing Us

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
I didn't think our pitching was very good last year even though we made the NCAA tourney. King was decent but not a prime quality pitcher. Harris, albeit only a frosh, didn't throw that hard and her ball didn't have a lot of movement on it.

Unfortunately, Aprile didn't land a top-quality prospect. Sarah Dawson was the only pitcher she signed and, although she pitched a perfect game in the early part of the season, she has been ineffective since then. I was worried when I saw her pitch in San Diego that she wasn't an ACC quality pitcher and she got hit so hard in the early ACC games she pitched that she pretty much hasn't been used since. I think she discovered pitching against Rhode Island prep school teams is far different than pitching against ACC teams. So it's been pretty much Harris and Modric in the ACC, and the results have not been good particularly against good ACC teams. This weekend they lost 3 games to FSU which is ranked #7 nationally. They scored enough runs to win all 3 games if they had had good pitching. But they gave up something like 35 runs in 3 games, and got blown out in 2 of the games, losing the other 4-3. When you score 9, 3 and 11 runs in fast pitch softball, you should win at least 2 of the games.

This team can really hit the ball. And, they will have a lot of good hitters returning next year. What puzzles me though is that Aprile didn't sign a pitcher in the incoming class. She signed two players who play the infield and also pitch, but neither is considered a big time pitching prospect. One made the Northern Ohio team as an infielder while the other was all-state in West Virginia as an infielder. The best prospect in the incoming class, at least per the scouting services is an outfielder from Catasaqua who is rated a top ten prospect by one and a top 50 prospect by two others.

I realize finding the next Jenny Finch isn't easy, but the fact is that is what it takes to be successful in college softball. Either that or next time FSU puts up 16 against us we have to put up 17.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT