ADVERTISEMENT

Soldier Field

HailtoPitt

Board of Trustee
Jun 18, 2001
So the Bears had practically a new stadium built for over $600 million less than 20 years ago, most of which was tax payer funded, and now they are threatening to move to the burbs outside of Chicago so that they can "remain competitive". Lol. Eff the Bears.

Reactions: quip
90s stadiums are now obsolete. Next up: early 2000s stadiums.

The following 90s stadiums have been replaced

- Texas Rangers
- Atlanta Falcons
- Atlanta Braves
- Columbus Crew
- St. Louis Rams (well, not replaced since they moved)

We are less than 10 years away from the future of Heinz Field discussions. Will it be a $200 million-$300 million renovation? A stadium in the suburbs?

I've said a million times that the Rooney's need to have a Jerry World built for them, which can be downsized for Pitt and configured for an MLS team

So the Bears had practically a new stadium built for over $600 million less than 20 years ago, most of which was tax payer funded, and now they are threatening to move to the burbs outside of Chicago so that they can "remain competitive". Lol. Eff the Bears.
Could also be a way to leverage getting a better deal at Soldier's. I'm not sure what the arrangement is right now but you could imagine that ownership could want a bigger slice of someone else's pie.

90s stadiums are now obsolete. Next up: early 2000s stadiums.

The following 90s stadiums have been replaced

- Texas Rangers
- Atlanta Falcons
- Atlanta Braves
- Columbus Crew
- St. Louis Rams (well, not replaced since they moved)

We are less than 10 years away from the future of Heinz Field discussions. Will it be a $200 million-$300 million renovation? A stadium in the suburbs?

I've said a million times that the Rooney's need to have a Jerry World built for them, which can be downsized for Pitt and configured for an MLS team

Difference is, Jerry paid $875 million towards that stadium. You'd be hard pressed to get the Rooneys to pay a tenth of that towards a new facility. I think Heinz remains for many decades, at least partially for that reason..

And they destroyed a landmark in the process. I know they were tasked with maintaining some of the original architecture but they butchered it.

Difference is, Jerry paid $875 million towards that stadium. You'd be hard pressed to get the Rooneys to pay a tenth of that towards a new facility. I think Heinz remains for many decades, at least partially for that reason..
The cities should be sending a hard no to spending money on any stadiums for billionaires. I would love to see the steelers take their mess to Washington.

It's also not like they're going to be able to get away with forcing the Plan A tax on the county again.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
And they destroyed a landmark in the process. I know they were tasked with maintaining some of the original architecture but they butchered it.
I've heard this too. I am by no means an architecture critic and have never personally been to the new Soldier Field, but it is apparently quite ugly.

Chargers have a 5B dollar stadium. Apparently raised from private money though. Quite impressive

Last edited:
I've heard this too. I am by no means an architecture critic and have never personally been to the new Soldier Field, but it is apparently quite ugly.

I was there a couple years ago and it's weird. They basically kept the outer shell but gutted the inside and built a new stadium inside of it, and it sticks out like 50 feet above that original shell.

Actually, that's the Rams' stadium; Chargers are a tenant (which of course helps the revenue stream). Also, that's $5B, not $5T.
Thank you. Yea, I meant billion not trillion. Still insane. Think the clippers are planning on a billion plus arena too.

It's also not like they're going to be able to get away with forcing the Plan A tax on the county again.

The race to the top for facilities will only affect the wealthiest franchises in the biggest market. There is no way Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Cincy, Miami, New Orleans can afford to build multi-billion dollar stadiums. Doesn't mean the Rooneys won't try to extort one from the taxpayers.

I could see them asking for a 200-300 million renovation in about a decade. And I think they'll probably get it, provided it extends the life of the stadium another 20-30 years. I find it ridiculous when teams put big money into stadiums only to build a new one five years later.

Reactions: pittdan77

Looks like an alien spaceship landed on the old stadium. And it's ugly on the inside with weird, uneven decks.

Could also be a way to leverage getting a better deal at Soldier's. I'm not sure what the arrangement is right now but you could imagine that ownership could want a bigger slice of someone else's pie.
What the Bears supposedly want to do isn’t feasible at Solider Field so this might not be a bluff. They want to have a fancy strip mall as part of stadium complex like the Patriots, Cardinals and Rams have, they can’t do that at the current site for many reasons.

One of the reasons the Steelers will stay on the North Side is due to the Rooney’s having a piece of the action with all the development around Heinz Field.

That’s what I think they are doing. They only signed a LOI and the deal isn’t expected to happen until late 2022/early 2023.

I worked in the Dallas , Fort Worth area when I traveled ..
Drove by it everyday for 3 weeks . That stadium is amazing . and Huge !

I worked in the Dallas , Fort Worth area when I traveled ..
Drove by it everyday for 3 weeks . That stadium is amazing . and Huge !
I attended Super Bowl XLV there and thought it was a terrible place to watch the game unless you like watching a game a mile away from the field.

The cities should be sending a hard no to spending money on any stadiums for billionaires. I would love to see the steelers take their mess to Washington.
San Diego did that, they no longer have an NFL team.

Heinz field cost to build was around $200 mil. that's the cost of the luxury boxes in most stadiums. Heinz field is bare bones compared to most. If the Rooney's ask for more money for renovations they will get it.

The Bears just bought an abandoned race track 35 miles from Soldier field. They are moving. Who the hell would want to go into Chicago to attend a football game?

I would be just fine with that.
Ask all the people who make money from Pittsburgh having an NFL team if they feel the way you do. I understand the short sighted mentality but then you have to tell the Pens and Pirates to take a hike too, and then we are Scranton.

Ask all the people who make money from Pittsburgh having an NFL team if they feel the way you do. I understand the short sighted mentality but then you have to tell the Pens and Pirates to take a hike too, and then we are Scranton.
If you want give the $600 million directly to the workers verses the pennies on the dollars using the billionaire middle men, have at it.

Just my opinion but the NFL became a terrible product years ago. It's really unwatchable at this point. I would rather have an NBA team here given the choice.

If you want give the $600 million directly to the workers verses the pennies on the dollars using the billionaire middle men, have at it.

Just my opinion but the NFL became a terrible product years ago. It's really unwatchable at this point. I would rather have an NBA team here given the choice.

Lol. Yeah. It really is hilarious how the argument goes. Where in the world would bartenders on the Northside work if not for the Steelers? Lol.

At this point, I am tired of taxpayers being held hostage. It is time for people to stand up. Where are they going to go? Lansing, Michigan?

Right. There are only so many markets that can support a team. An option would be Canada but even then you've only got three really big markets (Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver).

Plenty of successful cities the size of Pittsburgh (or larger) exist without pro sports. That being said, will obviously never happen here.

Reactions: HunkyPanther
The race to the top for facilities will only affect the wealthiest franchises in the biggest market. There is no way Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Cincy, Miami, New Orleans can afford to build multi-billion dollar stadiums. Doesn't mean the Rooneys won't try to extort one from the taxpayers.

I could see them asking for a 200-300 million renovation in about a decade. And I think they'll probably get it, provided it extends the life of the stadium another 20-30 years. I find it ridiculous when teams put big money into stadiums only to build a new one five years later.
"360 feet long by 160 feet wide. I think you'll find that's the exact same measurements as our field back at Hickory."...Norman Dale

The next phase of the stadium race game will pit the desires of teams to have 24/7/365 revenue generating venues vs. the measurable trend of fans choosing to watch games from the comfort of their homes and mobile devices. How much "stadium" do fans actually need vs. owners' extortive wish lists?

Build a 70K facility now, and you could have trouble filling it. So do you can the capacity at 50-55K in hopes of generating more demand vs supply, and add more high end bells and whistles?

I do not pretend to know the answer. All I need is a seat with a good view, a path to the bathroom, convenient access and egress to the facility, -- oh, and how about a scoreboard that LOOKS like a scoreboard to go with the big screen? Throw in good wifi to check scores from out of town. The rest is just details.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT