ADVERTISEMENT

Solomon DeShields Hits the Portal

... which is why you shouldn't get mad when people say, "I'll believe it when I see it" after those types of announcements are made. I know you like to 21-year-olds at their word. Well, don't.
I don't necessarily take anyone at their word and I never said that I did.

What I have said is that I base my opinions on what people say in the absence of other real information and not on the thoughts from some rando on a message board.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
There probably is going to be a lot of baseball, WAR type calculations with NIL.

The NIL money is limited. It’s not just a question of whether this guy is the best DE, or that guy the best LB.

You have to factor in production vs costs.
That’s why you see baseball teams letting a 2.5 to 3 WAR type player walk when his rookie controlled contract is over, and role with the next rookie, even if the production might be worse.

Because paying market value for a 2.5 WAR player doesn’t make sense when you can get 1.5 to 2 WAR for 500k, and then invest that savings in a position where you don’t have a reasonable replacement lined up.

There’s probably going to be a lot of guys where, yeah they were the starter and maybe the best player at that position, but no so much better than his replacement that the value is there to pay it.

There probably is going to be a lot of baseball, WAR type calculations with NIL.

The NIL money is limited. It’s not just a question of whether this guy is the best DE, or that guy the best LB.

That’s why you see baseball teams letting a 2.5 to 3 WAR type player walk when his rookie controlled contract is over, and role with the next rookie, even if the production might be worse.

Because paying market value for a 2.5 WAR player doesn’t make sense when you can get 1.5 to 2 WAR for 500k, and then invest that savings in a position where you don’t have a reasonable replacement lined up.

There’s probably going to be a lot of guys where, yeah they were the starter and maybe the best player at that position, but no so much better than his replacement that the value is there to pay it.

Funny, I've thought the exact same thing on the WAR calculations.

Like DeShields probably doesn't affect our win/loss total one bit... we have seven adequate linebackers. The problem with football is that there are just so many players, and if you let one unit drip with what appears to be guys not worth paying big money for then all of a sudden it turns into a deluge.

We might not think Jules, Okunlola, or Hayes are worth paying what they all received individually, but those three players as a whole can affect the W/L total by three games. Are three wins worth $800k? I don't know.

I don't think the analogy works. MLB has things leveling mechanisms such as the draft, revenue sharing, and arbitration.

When the Pirates suck, they still get the #1 pick and tens of millions of dollars from other teams to help them compete.

When Pitt sucks, NIL donors pull their money and kids go to other programs. The 24/7 free agency rules and pay for play NIL scheme is going to absolutely kill every single team that isn't in the Big Ten or SEC.

Reactions: FireballZ
I don't think the analogy works. MLB has things leveling mechanisms such as the draft, revenue sharing, and arbitration.

When the Pirates suck, they still get the #1 pick and tens of millions of dollars from other teams to help them compete.

When Pitt sucks, NIL donors pull their money and kids go to other programs. The 24/7 free agency rules and pay for play NIL scheme is going to absolutely kill every single team that isn't in the Big Ten or SEC.

That’s not the point I’m making.

I’m simply a cost vs value roster balancing that you see so much in baseball because the only limit is frequently the size of the payroll you can afford to spend, not the salary cap.

So you see a lot more “Money Ball” in baseball.

1-11 coming next year. Well let the hot seat talk commence
And what was the record this past year, with these same players? Its good they are leaving. Now they are forced to play some of the younger guys.

The recent players have not been good. It appears that its all about money with most of them now. They arent looking at the next level. They no they are not getting drafted, so they just up and transfer, and end up at a school lower or the same as Pitt. Think about it. Which of these 3 players transferring are being look at, at the NFL level? Not one if them.

Pitt didnt have a real star player on the team last year. The result was a 3 and 9 record. What big program do you actually believe are looking at these guys as starters? Honestly, the marjority of the players hitting the portal in football, are not great players. Other than not having a certain amount of players at the position, Pitt is losing much. Most fans claimed these same players were no good, last year or before. Now they leave and Pitt cant compete. I dont get it.

Pitt will have a self-imposed salary cap based on NIL budget. It is like fantasy football in a salary cap league. You could have peak Tom Brady and not afford any receivers.
Pitt should jettison overpaid under producers. They need to prioritise value and production over potential. Moving guys out needs to become the new norm. Replace 10 or 20 non-productive players with 5 proven producers.
They don't need 85 paid players. Get 55 good ones and reload each year. Don't waste NIL assets on redshirted players.
Maybe even reconsider recruiting high school players altogether. Go recruit players from other teams' rosters.

Pitt will have a self-imposed salary cap based on NIL budget. It is like fantasy football in a salary cap league. You could have peak Tom Brady and not afford any receivers.
Pitt should jettison overpaid under producers. They need to prioritise value and production over potential. Moving guys out needs to become the new norm. Replace 10 or 20 non-productive players with 5 proven producers.
They don't need 85 paid players. Get 55 good ones and reload each year. Don't waste NIL assets on redshirted players.
Maybe even reconsider recruiting high school players altogether. Go recruit players from other teams' rosters.
The problem is that because there are basically no free agency rules, Alliance412 is forced to pay players to remain on the team even when they don't play games. So we just paid a $100,000+ for Haynes and DeShields to be a part of Pitt football from December through mid-April. It's just lighting money on fire and actually double hurts us since we also couldn't go after other players during that time under the assumption that both would start for us this year.

It's very difficult to prioritize production when your best players take your money and then don't even play a single game for you. What are you supposed to do with that?

The problem is that because there are basically no free agency rules, Alliance412 is forced to pay players to remain on the team even when they don't play games. So we just paid a $100,000+ for Haynes and DeShields to be a part of Pitt football from December through mid-April. It's just lighting money on fire and actually double hurts us since we also couldn't go after other players during that time under the assumption that both would start for us this year.

It's very difficult to prioritize production when your best players take your money and then don't even play a single game for you. What are you supposed to do with that?
This is where the cartel comes in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT