ADVERTISEMENT

Some Chatter

Matt Steinbrink

Head Coach
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
Sounds like the new Chancellor will be named this week. Just something to keep an eye on.

After speaking to a few people, it seems as though a fifth year (or very experienced) point guard is high on the priority list. I think the staff loved what Nelly brought to the mix and want to duplicate that. The difference this year is that they have a stud freshman point guard as well. So it is a little tougher to navigate this one. You have to walk a line here of doing what is best for the team of course, but also have the big picture and long term in mind. There is still a place for young talent to develop.

Sounds like Girard is the #1 target right now. I always liked, not loved, him as a player. He is basically a 1.5 to me. Not a true point guard but also not a true shooting guard. With that being said, we are talking about a four year starter at the highest level that has scored a ton of points. He can also shoot, which is something they really need now and may trump other details. He would likely bring a nice balance to the backcourt and help Dior and Jaland learn.

They also want a rebounding piece up front. They know that it has to get better and that was one of their biggest issues last year. Like the back court though, this is another tough line. You have to raise the floor here with some better rebounding but there aren't as many minutes to go around.

This team lost a lot of scoring and shooting. They are gaining in athleticism and depth. So what they need to find specifically is shooting. Nelly and Greg were serious threats, and you also had to worry about Nike and Jamarius. As I look at this roster current state, the lack of outside shooting is what concerns me the most. More than anything. You will have better athletes and more of them, but where is that shooting going to come from? I think they need at least two experienced shooters to fill that void.

Last year was a bit easier to navigate. There was plenty that was needed and the staff delivered. Not easy at all, but it was easier in a sense because they could offer more. They basically needed 3-4 home runs in the portal to survive and they did just that. This year, it is a much different task. They return some legitimate talent and there is a balance in what they can/should do with two good high school pieces coming in. They also have four players in the frontcourt returning that were all valuable contributors last season.

Every move has an impact. I get going through all of these names and the appeal. But at what cost? If you want a significant power forward transfer, where does it fit? Who sits? Blake? Are there minutes for the twins? It is harder than ever to keep these kids happy. Just saying that I think this season should be a different approach. There was no worrying about feelings or roles last year. It was just about finding several significant players immediately.

Teams are contacting Hinson but from everything I gather, he is very committed.

For me, in an ideal world, you would add a Girard and another shooter that can play the 2 or 3. You do that and I think you would be fine. Maybe a powerful bruising power forward type. But again, where and how much are they going to play?

I think the staff would also want a big name with eligibility. A Westry or Rice type. That could make sense. They have a lot to sell now this offseason. The success, but more specifically the success with transfers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News