ADVERTISEMENT

Some late Thursday thoughts

garrett101999

Redshirt
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2010
Long day. Finally sitting down and sipping on a bourbon. Just watched Narduzzi's Thursday presser and listened to Peak's podcast on the way home. Just some random thoughts that both listens triggered for me that are some of the reasons why I continue to be confident heading into this game...

1 Pitt has the better QB. As we all know in football, that's a big advantage
2 I truly believe Pitt has the overall better skill players(!), particularly at WR. That's also a big deal.
3 Tenn was run heavy in Week1. Was that by design to stay "vanilla" and hide their true intent of what they "want to be" throughout the season?
4 OR tying into 3 above...is that their true intent for this year bc that's what Pruitt recruited for re: road graders, which don't schematically fit Huepel's scheme?
5 Which my gut tells me that ties into 4 above...I think the OL was recruited to be physical ala SEC team, which Pruitt recently came under the tutelage of Saban. We know Heupel wants to throw the rock all over the field, even though he does actually incorporate a good % of a running game into his scheme. That said, I think you need a more athletic/lighter/more nimble OL to keep pace in his offense vs more of a road-grader OL. I guess what I'm trying to say in a long-winded way, is I don't think his current OL can execute "his" up-tempo offense for a full 60-minute game against a D like Pitt. I think Pitt's front 7 and it's depth wears UTs OL out.
6 Tenn is going to take downfield shots, which they really didn't show against BG. This is really my only concern as far as our D is concerned. UT didn't really do it in W1, but we know Huepel likes to attack this way. I think Pitt's DBs hold up well, but you never know w how refs are going to call the game downfield. This does concern me.
7 Milton has ZERO chance to execute if he's forced to throw in windows.
8 I still think Pitt will have some opportunities for a Pick-6

I'm nervous bc I like our chances more and more the closer we're getting to Sat. I really think Pitt should win comfortably, but....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News