ADVERTISEMENT

Somewhat OT: Apparently Pitt is casting a VERY wide net for the AD position

load1079

Freshman
Gold Member
Apr 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
I found this somewhat amusing so though I would share...

I've lived in Chicago for over 12 years and though my family is very happy here, my wife and I are both from Pittsburgh (though we met in Chicago in a Steelers bar) with both extended families in Pgh and at some point sooner rather than later, we would very much like to move back.

I haven't had much luck finding a comparable job, but I do have a bunch of searches running for me and sending me the email results on an ongoing basis. This morning, I get my Pittsburgh jobs list from Linkedin and one of the entries is "Athletic Director", taken from workinsports.com. I investigate the link and low and behold, it is a posting for Pitt's AD job.

I'm flattered that LinkedIn's algorithm spitted this opportunity out as one that might fit my talents, and while I'm sure I would kick *ss in the role, i'm woefully unqualified. I just found it kind of funny that a job of that caliber would get pulled in a LinkedIn job search. I'm assuming tomorrow's search will yield "Pitt Defensive Line Coach."

Here's the job description below if any of you geniuses want to apply:

Job description
The University of Pittsburgh, an international leader in learning and research with an enrollment of 35,000 students, seeks a dynamic and collaborative leader for its nationally revered Division I athletics program. Located in the heart of the City of Pittsburgh – a thriving urban setting with 2.4 million residents within the surrounding metropolis – Pitt has established itself as a national leader in education, a pioneer in research and a key partner in regional development. A central component of Pitt’s rise to prominence has been their ability to compete at the highest levels within Division I intercollegiate athletics. Pitt, a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference, sponsors 19 intercollegiate athletic sports, has over 475 student-athletes and over 215 staff members. A nine-time national champion, Pitt Football has made nine straight post-season bowl appearances, and the men’s basketball program is among the nation’s top ten in winning percentage over the past 15 seasons. Pitt has continued a tradition of success in the other sports including recent national qualifying teams and individuals in women’s basketball, volleyball, wrestling, softball, track & field, cross country, swimming & diving, and gymnastics. In matching their athletic standing with its reputation as an academic powerhouse, Pitt student-athletes are honored annually for their academic achievement, including 379 student-athletes with at least a 3.0 GPA, numerous Academic All-America and Conference honorees, several ACC and NCAA Post-Graduate scholarship awardees, and annual recognition in the NCAA Academic Progress Rate release. The opportunities for growth and achievement in athletics are exciting and promising. The unique advantages inherent in the University’s urban geographic location, the administration’s commitment to the success of the athletic program, and a rich history and tradition of success positions Pitt’s athletic department for continued comprehensive excellence within intercollegiate athletics. SCOPE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
  • The Athletic Director is responsible for the academic success and the athletic experiences of our student athletes.
  • Provide creative and strategic leadership for the University of Pittsburgh’s intercollegiate athletic program.
  • Hire, mentor and supervise coaches, staff and administrative personnel in a collaborative and nurturing work and learning environment.
  • Be the visible and approachable face of the University’s intercollegiate athletics program to the public, the media, University faculty and staff, alumni, students, season ticket holders, Panther Club members, other supporters of the University and more broadly, the ACC and NCAA institutions, colleagues and partners.
  • Shepherd the athletic department’s resources to ensure the effectiveness, efficiency and fiscal integrity of the department.
  • In collaboration with the Faculty Athletic Representative, Office of the Provost and Academic Support Services for Student-Athletes, take responsibility for the University’s commitment to academic excellence, academic integrity and the retention and graduation of student-athletes.
  • In collaboration with the staff of UPMC Sports Medicine, manage and support the athletic department’s Performance Team and the Cathy and John Pelusi Family Life Skills Program to ensure the safety, well-being, welfare and personal development of Pitt student-athletes.
  • In collaboration with the Faculty Athletic Representative, ensure institutional control of the athletics program and the department’s compliance with NCAA, ACC and University rules and regulations.
  • Plan and lead the department’s development and fundraising efforts in collaboration with the University’s Office of Institutional Advancement.
  • Design and lead the department’s public and media relations, promotions, revenue generation and marketing efforts.
  • In collaboration with the Office of Student Affairs and other campus units, promote the active engagement of student-athletes in the University community to enrich student life both on campus and at the University’s athletic events.
  • Maintain and grow the department’s community involvement, strategic partnerships and service initiatives.
  • Plan and lead the construction, management, and maintenance of the University’s athletic facilities.
  • Establish personal relationships and strategic partnerships with key national and regional partners, including (but not limited to): IMG Sports Marketing, SMG Building Management, the PSSI Stadium Corporation and the Pittsburgh Steelers.
  • Engage and update the athletic department’s oversight committees, including the Board of Trustees Athletics Committee, Faculty Senate Committee on Athletics, and University Athletics Compliance Committee, on matters relevant to the administration of the athletics program.
  • Serve as an active member of the Chancellor’s Senior Staff.
  • Perform other duties as assigned by the Chancellor. EXPERIENCE / SKILLS REQUIRED: The University of Pittsburgh seeks an Athletic Director with integrity, vision, collaborative skills and a commitment to higher education and student-athlete welfare. An advanced degree from an accredited university is preferred. In addition, the candidate should present the following qualifications:
  • A record of successful executive level, strategic leadership within higher education, intercollegiate athletics and/or a like industry.
  • An ability to collaborate and form strategic partnerships with a diverse array of constituencies external and internal to the University community in order to leverage unique opportunities for growth and advancement.
  • A record of collaborative and ethical decision making within a fast-paced and competitive environment.
  • Effectively present Pitt’s messages to the media and at alumni and donor and other University events.
  • A strong commitment to gender equity and Title IX compliance, and the principles and bylaws of the National Collegiate Athletic Association and the Atlantic Coast Conference.
  • Demonstrated ability to raise funds to support capital projects, program and facility improvements and overall departmental enhancements. EDUCATION:Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in relevant field strongly preferred. All interested parties please contact John Buechli, DHR Associate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News