ADVERTISEMENT

Spring football news, blue gold game less than 2 weeks away.

pierre93

Athletic Director
Apr 2, 2004
H2P!!!

Reactions: pierre93
They should just can the Spring Game and have some sort of get together.

I'm actually kind of interested to see what the new offensive regime looks like. I know probably only 10% of the offense will be on display, and that 10% will probably have many kinks in it, but I am kind of curious.

It is very telling that Narduzzi is putting all his eggs in this basket with a new modern philosophy and inexperienced coaches. Really need for this to be a good year, and these new coaches prove to be somewhat dynamic recruiters. Most local talent coming through in a long time, need to step up the recruiting big time.

I think another 4-8 type season, with lackluster recruiting and you have to start thinking about cutting ties at some point for the 25 season.

I'm actually kind of interested to see what the new offensive regime looks like. I know probably only 10% of the offense will be on display, and that 10% will probably have many kinks in it, but I am kind of curious.

It is very telling that Narduzzi is putting all his eggs in this basket with a new modern philosophy and inexperienced coaches. Really need for this to be a good year, and these new coaches prove to be somewhat dynamic recruiters. Most local talent coming through in a long time, need to step up the recruiting big time.

I think another 4-8 type season, with lackluster recruiting and you have to start thinking about cutting ties at some point for the 25 season.

I definitely commend him for the change in philosophy. I just don't think we have the horses right now. I really don't like what we've got at QB or WR. I think we'll duke it out against some teams that are also pretty meh (WVU, Cincy, Cal, UVA, BC, etc.) and find a way go go 6-6 or something, but the personnel on offense just isn't there (in my eyes), and the players who have a pretty good chance to be really good on defense are mostly young. Hopefully guys like Brewu don't bolt if we do have an underwhelming season.

I definitely commend him for the change in philosophy. I just don't think we have the horses right now. I really don't like what we've got at QB or WR. I think we'll duke it out against some teams that are also pretty meh (WVU, Cincy, Cal, UVA, BC, etc.) and find a way go go 6-6 or something, but the personnel on offense just isn't there (in my eyes), and the players who have a pretty good chance to be really good on defense are mostly young. Hopefully guys like Brewu don't bolt if we do have an underwhelming season.
Took a few years for the defensive philosophy to assemble the right talent. No reason to think the offense won't be the same.

Took a few years for the defensive philosophy to assemble the right talent. No reason to think the offense won't be the same.

Definitely. Only problem is the defensive guy (Narduzzi) was going to be here for the long haul. Let's hope Bell sticks around long enough to get his system in place. I admit his southern accent worries me, because he has to feel like a fish out of water up in Pittsburg.

Reactions: pittdan77
Definitely. Only problem is the defensive guy (Narduzzi) was going to be here for the long haul. Let's hope Bell sticks around long enough to get his system in place. I admit his southern accent worries me, because he has to feel like a fish out of water up in Pittsburg.
Relevant concern. Certainly would jump at an SEC job but that's the danger with any coordinator that finds some success (Matt Canada, LOL). Ideally, you can grow a culture in a couple of years and then have some of that style of talent and the next coordinator, with a similar style of offense, has something to work with.

Not sure Bell sticking around is the problem. I don't think Narduzzi can withstand another losing season without the chair being red hot in 2025. This offense needs to click, and click in a hurry. But as you said it may take time to get the right players in and have it firing on all cylinders. It took about 3 years for RichRod's offense to click at WVU, although Canada made it happen here in one season. Hopefully this is another one year install like Canada.

Not sure Bell sticking around is the problem. I don't think Narduzzi can withstand another losing season without the chair being red hot in 2025. This offense needs to click, and click in a hurry. But as you said it may take time to get the right players in and have it firing on all cylinders. It took about 3 years for RichRod's offense to click at WVU, although Canada made it happen here in one season. Hopefully this is another one year install like Canada.

I'm thinking if we go 6-6 this season and then maybe 7-5 in '25 then we'll be someplace the university is comfortable with. That's probably just how it's going to be as NIL continues to dominate the landscape.

But yeah - a losing season this season could intensify the heat levels. Still tough to imagine us ever buying out any more than like 3 years on that contract, though.

Reactions: cashisking884
I'd much rather see an exhibition-type game with more balanced teams. I would envision something like this:

Blue team coached by offensive coordinator and one of the defensive coaches as main assistant.
White team coached by defensive coordinator and one of the offensive coaches as main assistant.

1st draft: OC chooses 11 players on offense. BLUE
2nd draft: DC chooses 11 players on defense. WHITE
3rd draft: BLUE: the asst.coach (def) chooses 11 players on defense.
4th draft: WHITE: the asst. coach (off) chooses 11 players on offense.
5th draft: Blue and white coaches alternate single selections to fill out their rosters.

Note: We would also have field goal, punt, and kick-off/ return teams. We would probably revert to tag football on returns to avoid any serious injuries. Also, the QB's would be red jersey protected.

In other words, I'd like to see a game I could enjoy and actually get some feel for what the team might be like. Watching a practice really doesn't interest me all that much.

p.s. the white team is synonymous with the gold team.

1st draft: OC chooses 11 players on offense. BLUE
2nd draft: DC chooses 11 players on defense. WHITE
3rd draft: BLUE: the asst.coach (def) chooses 11 players on defense.
4th draft: WHITE: the asst. coach (off) chooses 11 players on offense.
5th draft: Blue and white coaches alternate single selections to fill out their rosters.

Rather than all that, why wouldn't you just make it first team on the depth chart versus first team, and second team versus second team? Why bother with a draft when you already have the parameters determined?

The AD stuck with Capel thru some pretty bad year - tho no doubt the contract extension was part of that - and their patience paid off. Narduzzi is a pretty good coach, probably about the best Pitt can reasonably get, and he's been by far their most successful coach in four decades. I think his seat is safer than just 1 or 2 more meh years.

I hope it's like a regular game and not some stupid O vs D scoring system like last year.

The AD stuck with Capel thru some pretty bad year - tho no doubt the contract extension was part of that - and their patience paid off. Narduzzi is a pretty good coach, probably about the best Pitt can reasonably get, and he's been by far their most successful coach in four decades. I think his seat is safer than just 1 or 2 more meh years.

you're probably right, Narduzzi is definitely the king of the average coaches since Sherrill. The prettiest fat girl at the prom. 7-5 this year and there are no hot seats here. Not sure how another 3-9 or even 4-8 would play out though

Rather than all that, why wouldn't you just make it first team on the depth chart versus first team, and second team versus second team? Why bother with a draft when you already have the parameters determined?

Because it's not a good idea to have a defined depth chart right before the Spring transfer portal opens.

you're probably right, Narduzzi is definitely the king of the average coaches since Sherrill. The prettiest fat girl at the prom. 7-5 this year and there are no hot seats here. Not sure how another 3-9 or even 4-8 would play out though

Ahh a quick look at Sherrill's Pitt tenure shows a record of

50 - 9 - 1

Are you freakin kidding me!

I may not have been an English major, but I believe the word "since" in the context in my post above means "after", implying Narduzzi is the best coach AFTER Sherrill.

You used the word "average" coaches. Sometimes it is best to take your lumps and realize you were mistaken! Otherwise, in this case, you lose all credibility!

Really you can understand your post???

"Narduzzi is definitely the king of the average coaches since Sherrill."

I bolded and italicized the word average

you disagree that every coach in the post Sherrill era was average? They are all just different shades of average.

Tier 1 (slightly above average)

1) Narduzzi
2) Walt
3) Wanny
4) Gottfried

Tier 2 (average)

5) Graham
6) Chryst

Okay, I guess you GOT ME in that that tier 3 is below average and after Sherrill. I incorrectly used the word average.

Tier 3 (below average)

7) Majors 2
8) Foge
9) Hackett

But if you want to argue that anyone in Tier 1 is in the league of Sherrill, Ben Howland, Jamie Dixon, Sutherland, etc., coaching legends at Pitt, then I would be here for that.

you disagree that every coach in the post Sherrill era was average? They are all just different shades of average.

Tier 1 (slightly above average)

1) Narduzzi
2) Walt
3) Wanny
4) Gottfried

Tier 2 (average)

5) Graham
6) Chryst

Okay, I guess you GOT ME in that that tier 3 is below average and after Sherrill. I incorrectly used the word average.

Tier 3 (below average)

7) Majors 2
8) Foge
9) Hackett

But if you want to argue that anyone in Tier 1 is in the league of Sherrill, Ben Howland, Jamie Dixon, Sutherland, etc., coaching legends at Pitt, then I would be here for that.
Dude the only thing I am saying is that Duzz in above average size coach Sherrill. Chill baby chill

This year should be an interesting one. I find it hard to believe it can be a good one. We don't have much in the way of defense coming back to be excited about. The new OC hasn't had time to recruit to his system, and he hasn't found out how hard it is yet to get good offensive talent to come to Pitt. To me, it seems likely the best we could do is about 6-6. I doubt that makes Duzz's seat hot, but, another 3-9 could definitely get some wheels turning.

This year should be an interesting one. I find it hard to believe it can be a good one. We don't have much in the way of defense coming back to be excited about. The new OC hasn't had time to recruit to his system, and he hasn't found out how hard it is yet to get good offensive talent to come to Pitt. To me, it seems likely the best we could do is about 6-6. I doubt that makes Duzz's seat hot, but, another 3-9 could definitely get some wheels turning.
I gotta agree. I want to believe that teams on our schedule will have the same transfer issues to deal with, but a new offense and minimal returning D make this season a challenge.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
I gotta agree. I want to believe that teams on our schedule will have the same transfer issues to deal with, but a new offense and minimal returning D make this season a challenge.

yes, that's why I think 6-6 and there is no hotseat. Absolutely have to show some improvement from last year. Be competitive in all games. But another 3-9 with losses like the ND fiasco last year or the Wake Forest collapse and that seat has to be warm in 2025. Even then it might be hard to salvage recruiting with some of the best local talent coming up in the 26 & 27 classes.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
In this new landscape of fan funded NIL, fans and boosters can kill off coaches quickly. If the AD wants to retain a coach after another stinker of a season and the NIL money walks, they really have no choice.
Duzz should probably consider not being an ass to the fanbase. Particularly if the team sucks again.

In this new landscape of fan funded NIL, fans and boosters can kill off coaches quickly. If the AD wants to retain a coach after another stinker of a season and the NIL money walks, they really have no choice.
Duzz should probably consider not being an ass to the fanbase. Particularly if the team sucks again.
If that isn't the statement of the year. Whether he admits it or not Duzz got humbled big time last year. Honestly we were lucky to get to 9 wins in 2022-2023. Pitt was one of the hottest teams in the country and he hands the keys over to freakin Frank Cignetti 😔. We will never know where this program could have been if he hadn't been so bull headed about a Michigan State type offense.

I would think that played into Narduzzi allowing Alliance 412 members to watch a "closed" practice / scrimmage.

Reactions: USN_Panther
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT