ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game Conflict

Having many other things to do here in PITTsburgh requires the Panthers win to have good attendance. This is obviously not a college town.

I think this excuse is overstated. There are plenty of people who will travel from their city (some bigger than Pittsburgh with more to do) a long distance to their alma mater to watch a game. Those folks don't make excuses. They just go. Why?

I can't speak for another but I can tell you when we win I hear from old classmates about going to the next game much more.

Why do they only care about going when Pitt is doing well? Why don't they have tickets purchases and trips planed ahead of time like fans of better attended programs?

Reactions: Big Marty1
Why do they only care about going when Pitt is doing well? Why don't they have tickets purchases and trips planed ahead of time like fans of better attended programs?
maybe they feel like past administrations at pitt have continually let them down with bone head moves and ball scratching hires..

maybe they feel like past administrations at pitt have continually let them down with bone head moves and ball scratching hires..

Correct, though what constitutes a boneheaded move could be debated as nauseam on here. I think it's fairly accurate to say that 30+ years of screw-ups have limited the fanbase, severely. It will takes decades of a committed administration to create the type of sustainable fanbase dedicated Pitt fans want to see.

Reactions: Swervin27
I can't speak for another but I can tell you when we win I hear from old classmates about going to the next game much more.

Does this really need answered? The difference is that diploma mills have 2-3 times the amount of undergraduate alums as Pitt. Pitt's attendance is really good for the size of our undergraduate enrollment and alumni base. Attendance isnt the issue. The size of the stadium is.

Depending on when the schedule the game this could help attendance. Have the spring game at 1 and the Pirate game at 4. People could do both.
here is a question. Would the attendance at a spring game, at Heinz, really be effected if they don't have access to free parking? I mean it sounds pretty simple, yes but in reality, would it really? THe people going to this, aka US, are die hards and will find a way to go regardless if they have to park across the river or somewhere past the park/aviary and walk a bit. the people that would be dissuaded to go to this because they now no longer have easy free parking, are they really going to this anyways?

Just a question, I don't know the answer..

I think, generally, you are correct. The 3K-5K diehards will figure out a way to get to the Spring Game even if they cant park next to the stadium for free or $5. I think the larger issue is the Pirates dont want an extra 5K people on the North Side that day as it will already be quite congested.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT