ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice 3/8

May 6, 2017
Great weather this morning. It was probably the chippiest spring practice I've seen in awhile. Tempers were really flaring between the OL/DL.

A couple of things I noticed..

1. They are really hammering home the increased pace and no huddle aspect of the offense.

2. Neither side I thought I held the upper hand. In the last period, the defense dominated. I think the offense threw 3 or 4 consecutive picks.

3. A bunch of recruits seem to be enjoying themselves. AD was in the house so that was a good look.

4. Not saying this kid is going to be ready for awhile but Dugger had a few glimpses of "wow." When he pulled the ball down it was weird seeing a PITT QB with the burst he showed.

5. I thought the Indiana DL looked pretty good. Donald looks to be improved. He showed some burst and fluidity in one on one's. Baer passes the eyeball test.

Overall - nice chippy practice for a Friday in March.

Great weather this morning. It was probably the chippiest spring practice I've seen in awhile. Tempers were really flaring between the OL/DL.

1. They are really hammering home the increased pace and no huddle aspect of the offense.

2. Neither side I thought I held the upper hand. In the last period, the defense dominated. I think the offense threw 3 or 4 consecutive picks.

3. A bunch of recruits seem to be enjoying themselves. AD was in the house so that was a good look.

4. Not saying this kid is going to be ready for awhile but Dugger had a few glimpses of "wow." When he pulled the ball down it was weird seeing a PITT QB with the burst he showed.

5. I thought the Indiana DL looked pretty good. Donald looks to be improved. He showed some burst and fluidity in one on one's. Baer passes the eyeball test.

You see this being anything beyond a 6-6/7-5, if we're lucky, campaign? I just don't think we have the horses this year. DT has some potential, but it's young. CB is extremely unproven. QB and WR... feels like too many JAGs. Hope I'm wrong.

I think the OLine is really key for this new offense to work. Any thoughts on what
you see out of them?

You see this being anything beyond a 6-6/7-5, if we're lucky, campaign? I just don't think we have the horses this year. DT has some potential, but it's young. CB is extremely unproven. QB and WR... feels like too many JAGs. Hope I'm wrong.
It's really hard to tell right now. IMO, we do look faster and more athletic as a whole. Daniel Carter looked faster which stood out to me.

The biggest thing I'd be worried about is depth.

I think the OLine is really key for this new offense to work. Any thoughts on what
you see out of them?
They're the key regardless. However, with the sheer amount of tempo and spreading the ball on the perimeter, you do tame a defense to an extent. The more important key is can the QB's complete 65% of their passes and can the receivers make yardage after the catch. If they do that really helps the OL stay on course.

It's really hard to tell right now. IMO, we do look faster and more athletic as a whole. Daniel Carter looked faster which stood out to me.

The biggest thing I'd be worried about is depth.

Daniel "The Daffodil" Carter is like the blooming Spring darling every year, and then he disappears like Houdini. I thought he looked good against Wofford last season, but I guess the coaches didn't agree enough to give him carries at the expense of C'Bo. I'm wondering if he won't be a transfer candidate in April.

But yeah... depth seems like a concern at certain spots, as well. CB, DT, T, possibly TE, possibly RB, WR (to the extent that the starters are even good), etc.

Daniel "The Daffodil" Carter is like the blooming Spring darling every year, and then he disappears like Houdini. I thought he looked good against Wofford last season, but I guess the coaches didn't agree enough to give him carries at the expense of C'Bo. I'm wondering if he won't be a transfer candidate in April.

But yeah... depth seems like a concern at certain spots, as well. CB, DT, T, possibly TE, possibly RB, WR (to the extent that the starters are even good), etc.
Part of the issue was Powell and who he played favorites with.

Reactions: sonofabit

55 - Thanks for the info.

Happy to hear a couple positive comments on the DL. The DL really scares me. Hoping Fitzsimmons makes a big leap at DT.

Go Pitt.

Reactions: steelcurtain55.

You mention last period. Was there a scrimmage today or simulated game situations? Thanks for the info!

Part of the issue was Powell and who he played favorites with.
Don't most coaches favor those who are coachable and and talented? Did Powell have a reason to play less talented kids? I have no information/insight but I just question why a college coach with nothing but production at his position to be evaluated on, would choose to play those who would be less productive over those who would be more productive?

Don't most coaches favor those who are coachable and and talented? Did Powell have a reason to play less talented kids? I have no information/insight but I just question why a college coach with nothing but production at his position to be evaluated on, would choose to play those who would be less productive over those who would be more productive?
Ollison should have received more touches.

Vincent and AJ Davis over Izzy. Izzy should have received more touches earlier in his career.

Hammond and Izzy should have gotten more touches than Vincent Davis.

Hammond and Daniel Carter should have been receiving the touches and C’ Bo should have been 3rd string.

The OL injuries and HOLDOVERS kept C’Bo from getting to the second level where he is actually dangerous. Well, all RB’s for that matter. But yeah, Hammond was pulled the minute he got on a roll. Think maybe coaches gave assurances and promises to portal/transfers as far as touches go. Had to be.😀

The OL injuries and HOLDOVERS kept C’Bo from getting to the second level where he is actually dangerous. Well, all RB’s for that matter. But yeah, Hammond was pulled the minute he got on a roll. Think maybe coaches gave assurances and promises to portal/transfers as far as touches go. Had to be.😀

I don't know... Derrick Davis touched less balls than a nun. I actually think C'Bo might do well in this season's offense, but the insistence on running him into a wall was maddening. I don't think I'll miss any of that offensive staff.

Steel - Any updates from practices?

Yeah it's time to talk Pitt football. Enough of wasting threads, posts on pro yinzer sports. This is a Pitt message board, right? H2P.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Word is that Mike Tomlin visited and players immediately started taking plays off and now there is tension in the Pitt locker room. But they all love him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT