ADVERTISEMENT

St. Joseph's Prep question

That is not true. Every Catholic school does not do that. Incredible sign of ignorance.

I was being sarcastic but 100% of private schools get kids from other towns. My ire shouldn't be that DJP has kids from 3 states, it should be that they have kids from within a 30 mile radius, which most private schools do. But years from now, NA players will be complaining "we would have won but they had kids from 3 states." That has nothing to do with it. They are all within commuting distance. The complaint is only "they got kids from other towns because they weren't bound by geography."

I was being sarcastic but 100% of private schools get kids from other towns. My ire shouldn't be that DJP has kids from 3 states, it should be that they have kids from within a 30 mile radius, which most private schools do. But years from now, NA players will be complaining "we would have won but they had kids from 3 states." That has nothing to do with it. They are all within commuting distance. The complaint is only "they got kids from other towns because they weren't bound by geography."
The complaint the private school parents/kids have is that they paid for the public school's field and scoreboard.

The complaint the private school parents/kids have is that they paid for the public school's field and scoreboard.

That's no complaint. Nobody forced them to go to private school or to live in an area where the public school isnt very good.

Private schools can recruit and public schools like NA can't. When the private school is in one of the larger metro areas in the nation, contiguous with multiple other states, that creates a disparity and unfair advantage...but it is what it is

And it was their decision to spurn public schools for something else....THEIR CHOICE. Paying taxes is not a choice.

Private schools can recruit and public schools like NA can't. When the private school is in one of the larger metro areas in the nation, contiguous with multiple other states, that creates a disparity and unfair advantage...but it is what it is
A disadvantage relative to those of us over on the western side, but in theory, other schools out there can do the same if they like. They probably try, but SJP is just the best at it. The Philly charter schools like Imhotep do the same thing, at a lower classification, although I'm not sure if they are getting Jersey kids or not.

And it was their decision to spurn public schools for something else....THEIR CHOICE. Paying taxes is not a choice.
School Choice credits should exist. You are forced to go to a school that teaches non-sense and antiquated skills.

School Choice credits should exist. You are forced to go to a school that teaches non-sense and antiquated skills.
Others in the district may not share your opinion, however.

I have always found it interesting that the right wing is the group that chants loudest about school choice, when they are the group statistically that has more money and therefore more ability to pay. Maybe that is changing now that the base is largely the rusty pickup truck crowd.

Then move. Taxpayers should not fund private schools. Actually, I dont believe school districts should be a thing. But asking taxpayers to pay for your kid to go to some private school is absurd. If your public school sucks so bad, vote in new board members who will fix it.

Others in the district may not share your opinion, however.

I have always found it interesting that the right wing is the group that chants loudest about school choice, when they are the group statistically that has more money and therefore more ability to pay. Maybe that is changing now that the base is largely the rusty pickup truck crowd.

Its the middle class and ultra right-wing poor (who are afraid of public schools) that want this. The rich families in private schools absolutely don't want more poor kids coming to their school. They are in that school largely because it prices out the riff raff.

Its the middle class and ultra right-wing poor (who are afraid of public schools) that want this. The rich families in private schools absolutely don't want more poor kids coming to their school. They are in that school largely because it prices out the riff raff.
Funny how st joes brings them in as long as they fill a need. Like a WR or a CB or a RB.
ST. Joes Prep Trainer 2018 “best team rich parents money can buy”

They lost to IMG

Delaware actually has pretty good talent for the small amount of population that reside in that state. Schools like Smyrna, Salesanium (sp), and Middletown are traditional powers that routinely produce power 5 kids. Even some of the small schools down there like Woodbridge would do pretty well in PA at the smaller school level.

Who are the prominent football players from PCC who have resided an hour away from PCC? I mean the kid from Aliquippa seems like an outlier here.

There are just some areas that have Catholic grade schools but not high schools. Washington County does not have a Catholic high school. It’s either olsh, Canevin or central north or central in wheeling. Kids are traveling an hour not because of being recruited, they are traveling because their parents want a Catholic education and should not be discriminated against for pursuing that choice

Kids are traveling an hour not because of being recruited, they are traveling because their parents want a Catholic education and should not be discriminated against for pursuing that choice

Correct. Kids travel, especially from the rural areas, to go to private schools. But that doesn't mean they should compete against geographically-bound districts. New Jersey has 6 classes for basketball but its 4 public and 2 non-public. Not sure what they do for football. I think you either have to make a different class/tournament for private or charter schools or put in a rule that they have to play up 2 classes. I realize this would suck for a really small 1A private who doesnt recruit and is terrible but so what, they arent going to win 1A anyway.

There are just some areas that have Catholic grade schools but not high schools. Washington County does not have a Catholic high school. It’s either olsh, Canevin or central north or central in wheeling. Kids are traveling an hour not because of being recruited, they are traveling because their parents want a Catholic education and should not be discriminated against for pursuing that choice
If you're a practicing Catholic, I get that. But I doubt kids are traveling from NJ and Delaware to go to St. Joe's Prep because there are no catholic high schools closer in their states.

If you're a practicing Catholic, I get that. But I doubt kids are traveling from NJ and Delaware to go to St. Joe's Prep because there are no catholic high schools closer in their states.
this was an issue that was brought up at Bishop Mcdevitt around 10-12 years ago. They had a kid who was the starting QB who resided in Adams County. The kid lived in the Bermudian Springs district. Delone Catholic, York Catholic, and Trinity (D3) were all closer Catholic schools then McDevitt. It was brought up to the coaches association that the PIAA used to have a stipulation that if you were supposed to attend the nearest catholic school to your residence. The York Catholic coach said it was tied with in with local diocese.

Reactions: pittdan77

this was an issue that was brought up at Bishop Mcdevitt around 10-12 years ago. They had a kid who was the starting QB who resided in Adams County. The kid lived in the Bermudian Springs district. Delone Catholic, York Catholic, and Trinity (D3) were all closer Catholic schools then McDevitt. It was brought up to the coaches association that the PIAA used to have a stipulation that if you were supposed to attend the nearest catholic school to your residence. The York Catholic coach said it was tied with in with local diocese.
McDevitt is an example of a private/Catholic school that is taking advantage of the rule.

I dont know where every one of their players reside but they had a DB from Burrell that went to Penn State. That may have been Petrishen actually
Unless my mind is playing tricks on me...petrishen went to Central Catholic ..no??

No, they should not. If a parent wants to have an alternative, they can pay for it like parents have always done.

No, they should not. If a parent wants to have an alternative, they can pay for it like parents have always done.
The public school system is failing students on many levels. Why not give them an option?

Please remember the population DENSITY around SJP; is far greater than most other areas

Please remember the population DENSITY around SJP; is far greater than most other areas

There are about 7 million people within 30 miles. Doesn't matter the state you live in, that's a lot of athletes and regular students who could make a reasonable commute there everyday. So, again, its not a different state issue. Its a public vs private issue. This is a private school that is maximizing their "recruiting" reach to the fullest without doing anything against the rules such as getting apartments for families or having players live with coaches or teammates.

I dont know where every one of their players reside but they had a DB from Burrell that went to Penn State. That may have been Petrishen actually
Are there any catholic high schools up that way? St Joe's and Aquinas Academy perhaps, but those schools are really small, without football teams I believe.

Are there any catholic high schools up that way? St Joe's and Aquinas Academy perhaps, but those schools are really small, without football teams I believe.

There arent many Catholic schools with football teams in WPA.

Central
GCC
Canevin
Serra
Seton LaSalle
Geibel
NC

And none in the A-K Valley so you can see that Central can recruit well in areas without schools.

Westmoreland has GCC. Fayette has Geibel. The McKeesport area has Serra. The South Hills has SL. The West Hills has Canevin. North Hills has NC. SL and NC aren't conveniently placed though with NC being in the far-northern parts of the North Hills and SL being on the far-northern part of the South Hills so getting to Central isnt that much more difficult. To my knowledge, there's no Catholic football team in the area from Monroeville/Murysville/PH/Plum up to Natrona Heights/Freeport. Seems like a good opportunity for Bishop Sycamore to move in.

Last edited:
There arent many Catholic schools with football teams in WPA.

Central
GCC
Canevin
Serra
Seton LaSalle
Geibel
NC

And none in the A-K Valley so you can see that Central can recruit well in areas without schools.

Westmoreland has GCC. Fayette has Geibel. The McKeesport area has Serra. The South Hills has SL. The West Hills has Canevin. Nthr North Hills has CWNC. SL and NC aren't conveniently placed though with CWNC being in the far-northern parts of the North Hills and South Hills so getting to Central isnt that much more difficult. To my knowledge, there's no Catholic football team in the area from Monroeville/Murysville/PH/Plum up to Natrona Heights/Freeport. Seems like a good opportunity for Bishop Sycamore to move in.
I didn't even know Geibel had a football team. Does OLSH play football?

Here's a question ... are there any Western PA kids (and/or Ohio) on the Wheeling Central Catholic football team? If so, do they compete with all of the WV public schools?

Not fair that I have no say or pathway and must pay into a broken system that is controlled by unions and bureaucrats.

You do have a say. You can vote and you can run for school board. You can also move to an area that has better schools. The government paying for private schools is one of the worst ideas I ever heard. As I said in another thread, these guys want government getting involved in everything.

You do have a say. You can vote and you can run for school board. You can also move to an area that has better schools. The government paying for private schools is one of the worst ideas I ever heard. As I said in another thread, these guys want government getting involved in everything.
I want government out of schools. My school district pays an average of $8000 per student. I am asking the credit to be $4000. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

I didn't even know Geibel had a football team. Does OLSH play football?

Here's a question ... are there any Western PA kids (and/or Ohio) on the Wheeling Central Catholic football team? If so, do they compete with all of the WV public schools?
Geibel with no team, has football players play for Southmoreland. That's how they got the kid from Connellsville who was on his 3rd HS this fall.

OLSH plays football and is usually pretty good.

I don't know any PA kids at WCC. There have been Pittsburgh area kids at Linsly before. On the flipside - I have seen WV kids wrestle for PA schools like Canon Mac before.

Reactions: passedout
I want government out of schools. My school district pays an average of $8000 per student. I am asking the credit to be $4000. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

So you want private companies to run schools with no government oversight? Dude, this is education. This isnt Wall Street.

You can't say you want government out of schools and then ask taxpayers to pay for your kid to go to private school. Dont live in a crappy school district. People in the top suburban school districts are very happy.

Do they take a boat across because that's one heck of a round trip commute considering they have to go through customs each time. I doubt they've ever had a single player commuting from Canada.
Yep, they get in a barrell and go over the Falls each morning to and fro. You're smart enough to know how it works.

St Joe’s is just destroying N. Allegheny down 4TD’s at the half
I’m on a pre Christmas vacation with a few St Joe’s families. They agree it is ridiculous but the PIAA won’t let them out. They need to be excluded from the PIAA for football for the next 5 years with an opportunity to join back if they keep things on an equal level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT