58 Michigan/OSU
59 NFL
60 Golden Globes
61-70 NFL
71 Alabama over Georgia
72-73 NFL
74 Georgia over TCU
75-100 NFL
if I did not know any better I would think the proliferation of television platforms other than network tv and a writer's strike might have had something to do with this...There is no such thing as MASH or Dallas or the Cosby Show anymore....keep attempting to come up with elusive salient "wow, that's interesting" point Sparky, I know its just around the corner.....Staggering, hahahaha

NFL appeals to all walks of life: The dude in the trailer watching on a bunny ears TV; the dude in the inner-city tenement dwelling; the lady in the mansion on the hill; and everyone in between. There's nothing else like that. I could go to a Steeler game and sit next to a high-profile banker or a dude who snuck a bottle of Nikolai in and is barfing on his own shoes.

if I did not know any better I would think the proliferation of television platforms other than network tv and a writer's strike might have had something to do with this...There is no such thing as MASH or Dallas or the Cosby Show anymore....keep attempting to come up with elusive salient "wow, that's interesting" point Sparky, I know its just around the corner.....Staggering, hahahaha
I don't think the numbers are much of a surprise when you consider the money that was thrown around the last time TV rights were out for bid. The old formula for television has been dead for a while now. People have too many options to just sit and watch bad sitcoms.

1 through 20: NFL games
21. State of the Union
22-44: NFL games
45 Thanksgiving Day Parade
46-57 NFL games
58 Michigan/OSU
59 NFL
60 Golden Globes
61-70 NFL
71 Alabama over Georgia
72-73 NFL
74 Georgia over TCU
75-100 NFL
Didn't you claim that the NFL didn't want to compete with college football on Saturdays?

This is one of those times you're not doing a very good job at trolling. You come off as deliberately obtuse and it's a really bad look.

Do you guys really not understand that a whole lot less people would watch NFL games on Saturdays if they were up against Bama/Tennesse on ESPN and Ohio State/Oregon on Fox? Would more people watch Lions/Packers? Yes. But its viewership would be WAY less than on Sunday.

Do you guys really not understand that a whole lot less people would watch NFL games on Saturdays if they were up against Bama/Tennesse on ESPN and Ohio State/Oregon on Fox? Would more people watch Lions/Packers? Yes. But its viewership would be WAY less than on Sunday.
Wouldn't be a "whole lot less". Perhaps in one region or another but not generally. Not even close. The only reason the NFL isn't on Saturdays during the CFB regular season is because the networks are paying too much for the inventory to mix it all together.

Wouldn't be a "whole lot less". Perhaps in one region or another but not generally. Not even close. The only reason the NFL isn't on Saturdays during the CFB regular season is because the networks are paying too much for the inventory to mix it all together.

CBS: Lions vs Packers
Fox: Ohio State vs Michigan State
ABC: Clemson vs NC State
ESPN: Florida vs Arkansas
ESPN2: Texas Tech vs Kansas State
ESPNU: James Madison vs Troy
ACCN: BC vs Pitt
SECN: Missouri vs South Carolina
CBSSN: Navy vs Rice
BTN: Indiana vs Maryland
FS1: UCF vs Arizona

A WHOLE LOT LESS

Its math.

Last edited:
Stunning News - I thought the NFL was going to be filing for bankruptcy because everyone was going to boycott due to Colin Kapernick. 😁

Reactions: JimNazium
Nothing staggered me more than two years ago, seeing a Steelers/Lions PRESEASON game on an August Sunday Afternoon was viewed by 7.9 million viewers, which would make it top 15 for college games. A completely meaningless, no primetime, summer game........

That is the power of the NFL

Reactions: pittdan77
The NFL is a far superior product.

Tonight's Championship game seems like it pales in comparison to the NFL Week 18 and the playoff anticipation
And getting more superior. Look, I am not even going into paying college kids now and that losing some of its luster. I don't think it does, I think we all agree but the mere fact now of the absolutely unfettered free agency without any real rules or guiderails that the sport has completely lost its plot and its greed is consuming itself.

Reactions: pittdan77
CBS: Lions vs Packers
Fox: Ohio State vs Michigan State
ABC: Clemson vs NC State
ESPN: Florida vs Arkansas
ESPN2: Texas Tech vs Kansas State
ESPNU: James Madison vs Troy
ACCN: BC vs Pitt
SECN: Missouri vs South Carolina
CBSSN: Navy vs Rice
BTN: Indiana vs Maryland
FS1: UCF vs Arizona

A WHOLE LOT LESS

Its math.
That's not math. It's conjecture.

Reactions: PittED2001
And getting more superior. Look, I am not even going into paying college kids now and that losing some of its luster. I don't think it does, I think we all agree but the mere fact now of the absolutely unfettered free agency without any real rules or guiderails that the sport has completely lost its plot and its greed is consuming itself.

You say that but tonight's championship game will be one of the highest rated of the CFP era. Why

- The south is watching anyway. This is THEIR Super Bowl. You'll see Birmingham, Alabama as a Top 3-4 market tomorrow.

- The whole midwest will watch

- The west might give a crap for once

- The Michigan brand turns on TV sets from DC up 95 to Boston. No, they arent ND but they are one of the best known programs for those NFL-first fans

You say that but tonight's championship game will be one of the highest rated of the CFP era. Why

- The south is watching anyway. This is THEIR Super Bowl. You'll see Birmingham, Alabama as a Top 3-4 market tomorrow.

- The whole midwest will watch

- The west might give a crap for once

- The Michigan brand turns on TV sets from DC up 95 to Boston. No, they arent ND but they are one of the best known programs for those NFL-first fans
Will be real interesting

You have it backwards, many fewer would watch college football if it was competing with the NFL.

You have it backwards, many fewer would watch college football if it was competing with the NFL.

There isn't a law to keep the colleges (or the high schools) from playing on an NFL Sunday. There is one that keeps the NFL from playing on college football Saturdays (and high school Fridays).

If that doesn't pretty clearly show someone which party needs protected from the other, well, that person must be SMF.

Reactions: ASDannels
That's not math. It's conjecture.

It is also basic common sense. You are competing with the #2 sport in America, which is far less popular than the NFL but its still popular enough to draw enough viewers away than if the game were played on Sunday. Also, more people are outside their homes doing things (including the 2.5 million or so at college football games) on Saturday afternoons as opposed to Sunday afternoons. There is a simply no way that a random NFL game would bring in better ratings on a Saturday than on a Sunday. Now, if the NFL was allowed to and sold some Saturday noon package to TBS like their Thursday, Monday, and Sunday night deals, they would make money because people would watch. But not that many people given the college football competition and people being out of the home.

There isn't a law to keep the colleges (or the high schools) from playing on an NFL Sunday. There is one that keeps the NFL from playing on college football Saturdays (and high school Fridays).

If that doesn't pretty clearly show someone which party needs protected from the other, well, that person must be SMF.
The Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961, it's what allows the NFL to get around anti-trust laws when negotiating tv contracts and to protect high school and college ball.

No, I would never watch and SEC game ever, I'd rather watch Falcons vs Panthers, if NFL was Saturday, I'd watch the Pitt game like always, and then NFL games, if Pitt was head-to-head vs. The Steelers I'd DVR both and watch the Steelers live and Pitt after. .

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
No, I would never watch and SEC game ever, I'd rather watch Falcons vs Panthers, if NFL was Saturday, I'd watch the Pitt game like always, and then NFL games, if Pitt was head-to-head vs. The Steelers I'd DVR both and watch the Steelers live and Pitt after. .
This is the route most people would take, watching their college team and then switching over to whatever NFL game is on over some SEC or B1G game. There's a segment of Gen X'ers and Boomers who still think its the 80's when average sports fans got invested and watched college football, MLB, NBA, NHL and college hoops games on the regular even when their team wasn't playing, the only people doing that now are said Gen X'ers and Boomers along with degenerate gamblers.

This is the route most people would take, watching their college team and then switching over to whatever NFL game is on over some SEC or B1G game. There's a segment of Gen X'ers and Boomers who still think its the 80's when average sports fans got invested and watched college football, MLB, NBA, NHL and college hoops games on the regular even when their team wasn't playing, the only people doing that now are said Gen X'ers and Boomers along with degenerate gamblers.
There's also people, and I think mostly younger, that just want to watch the best teams play over having favorite teams that they follow religiously, myself I'd watch Pitt vs YSU over Bama vs Georgia, so a great SEC or B1G game doesn't interest me at all ever.

There's also people, and I think mostly younger, that just want to watch the best teams play over having favorite teams that they follow religiously, myself I'd watch Pitt vs YSU over Bama vs Georgia, so a great SEC or B1G game doesn't interest me at all ever.
You always talk about "you" and what interests "you" like it is the norm when it comes to this stuff. It is not. You are not a normal sports fan. So what you prefer is fairly irrelevant. I don't mean to be brutally honest about this.

There is a simply no way that a random NFL game would bring in better ratings on a Saturday than on a Sunday.

Actually, since your random Lions/Packers game on a Sunday afternoon is televised regionally and your theoretical game on Saturday would be televised nationally, a whole lot more people would watch that game on Saturday than they would on Sunday.

Actually, since your random Lions/Packers game on a Sunday afternoon is televised regionally and your theoretical game on Saturday would be televised nationally, a whole lot more people would watch that game on Saturday than they would on Sunday.
Stop making sense!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT