ADVERTISEMENT

Staggering: Top 100 TV broadcasts of 2023

You always talk about "you" and what interests "you" like it is the norm when it comes to this stuff. It is not. You are not a normal sports fan. So what you prefer is fairly irrelevant. I don't mean to be brutally honest about this.
The first half of that dudes post talked about other people.

They sure dont. Too many eyeballs watching and attending college football games.
So, then why did they do a Black Friday streaming game up against college football?

The NFL doesn't play games on Saturdays during college football season because they are not permitted by law to broadcast them on FCC controlled airwaves during college football season. That is the only reason they don't do it. Nothing to do with not wanting to compete with the NCAA. Now that streaming is prevalent, I expect a regular Saturday night NFL telecast happening in the next few years.

What these ratings tell us is that the NFL is leaving money on the table by having multiple games played at the same time. And the NFL owners hate leaving money on the table. Especially now that the NCAA is rapidly becoming a professional league.

Reactions: USN_Panther
Im shocked about the thanksgiving parade rankings. Wow! I guess people just throw it on in the background while making dinner, chatting and waiting for the games to start.
I wonder if they are including all the broadcasts ratings into 1 here as it is on multiple channels? I'm sure that is what the state of the union rating is.

And I absolutely watch at least some of the parade every year. The only thing that I would ever even consider watching otherwise on Thanksgiving morning would be football.

I wonder if they are including all the broadcasts ratings into 1 here as it is on multiple channels? I'm sure that is what the state of the union rating is.

And I absolutely watch at least some of the parade every year. The only thing that I would ever even consider watching otherwise on Thanksgiving morning would be football.
They combine the ratings for things broadcast on multiple networks like the State of the Union and Thanksgiving Day Parade(NBC & CBS show it).

Reactions: OH Pete
Wouldn't be a "whole lot less". Perhaps in one region or another but not generally. Not even close. The only reason the NFL isn't on Saturdays during the CFB regular season is because the networks are paying too much for the inventory to mix it all together.
Hi Dan. That is actually not true. They are prohibited by law to broadcast games by law. Sounds crazy, right? But it is true. It was put in place back when the NFL was given an anti-trust exemption so that the teams could collectively bargain for a TV rights package. Congress didn't want the NFL to compete with amateur football, so they can't broadcast on Friday's during HS season either.

Having said that, there is a belief that the law only pertains to broadcasts controlled by the FCC. And streaming is not controlled by the FCC (at least not at this time). The first test is the Black Friday streaming only broadcast. There will be more. It will slowly evolve to the point where the NFL is playing on Saturdays and probably some Fridays as well.

Hi Dan. That is actually not true. They are prohibited by law to broadcast games by law. Sounds crazy, right? But it is true. It was put in place back when the NFL was given an anti-trust exemption so that the teams could collectively bargain for a TV rights package. Congress didn't want the NFL to compete with amateur football, so they can't broadcast on Friday's during HS season either.

Having said that, there is a belief that the law only pertains to broadcasts controlled by the FCC. And streaming is not controlled by the FCC (at least not at this time). The first test is the Black Friday streaming only broadcast. There will be more. It will slowly evolve to the point where the NFL is playing on Saturdays and probably some Fridays as well.
The Black Friday Game supposedly started at 3PM because the NFL didn't want to risk it going past 7PM and into the blocked out window.

The Black Friday Game supposedly started at 3PM because the NFL didn't want to risk it going past 7PM and into the blocked out window.
Yes. But it is the first step. The NFL will continue to push the boundary as the law doesn't define what "broadcast" means. The argument will be that streaming on a pay to view streaming service has no government oversight, thus it is a loophole in the law.

So, the first step is to see if there is an audience on Black Friday. Second step will be to get people used to a Black Friday game. Then they'll slide another game that directly challenges the law. Likely a Saturday night game. It is a lot easier to claim that the law is bogus if a streaming broadcast goes up against another professional league. NIL will be used to prove that the NCAA is a professional league. If a super league forms, the NFL will certainly challenge the validity of the law because it would be unfair to have restrictions on them but not on this new college/professional league.

You always talk about "you" and what interests "you" like it is the norm when it comes to this stuff. It is not. You are not a normal sports fan. So what you prefer is fairly irrelevant. I don't mean to be brutally honest about this.
what about you? Are you a Pitt fan?

As a Pitt fan if you are one, would you watch Pitt/YSU or Bama/Georgia if they were on at the same time?

You say that but tonight's championship game will be one of the highest rated of the CFP era. Why

- The south is watching anyway. This is THEIR Super Bowl. You'll see Birmingham, Alabama as a Top 3-4 market tomorrow.

- The whole midwest will watch

- The west might give a crap for once

- The Michigan brand turns on TV sets from DC up 95 to Boston. No, they arent ND but they are one of the best known programs for those NFL-first fans

As predicted:

Huge ratings for Washington/Michigan. College football needs the north and the west to be involved because the southern folk are watching anyway.

People cannot stop watching college football. You can have players break into your house to rob you for NIL money and you'll still watch them. Its the #2 sport in the country and a national obsession.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT