ADVERTISEMENT

Stallings on recruiting at Vanderbilt

[QUOTE="

This season is the main reason most of Vanderbilt's fans wanted Stallings gone.[/QUOTE]

You seem to have extremely good information. Do you work with Pew research? Or Quinnipiac?

Did most Pitt fans want Dixon gone?

What percentage of Pitt fans will support Coach Stallings?

All schools, no matter what their perception, mostly promoted by their own pompous alumni, have very relaxed admission standards for athletes.
This includes;
Duke
Stanford
Notre Dame
Vanderbilt
And, that bastion of integrity, The cult.

Relaxed? Absolutely. A basketball player or football has an easier time getting into those schools than a non-athlete for sure. However, they all have more strict admissions standards on varyinh levels than other P5s. Inotherwords, in most cases those schools cant admit bball or football players who are at or near the NCAA minimum requirements. Everywhere else, you can.

Please delete that post. It might be the single dumbest comparison ever made in the history of the internet. You're smarter than that (I hope).

You don't read your own posts, do you?

My point is: academic standards are a pathetic excuse for justifying recruiting. You honestly mean to tell me if Derrick Rose wanted to play at Vandy they would have turned him away over grades? That's absurd.

You missed the point. Every school has their pool limited by geography, conference affiliation, style of play, depth charts, etc. But, every high major outside of Vandy, NW, Stanford, and maybe Duke (though I think they take anybody now) does not deal with admissions restrictions.

So, yea, Stallings may recruit a kid from Oregon who doesn't want to play in the ACC but let's say the kid has only the NCAA minimum on SATs and GPA, Stallings never would have picked up the phone at Vandy. He couldn't have got him in. And its not like Stallings also didnt deal with a limited pool also due to geography, style of play, etc. He may identify a player with 1000 on SATs from Minnesota but that player wants to play in the Big Ten instead of Vandy.

If there are 250 high major recruits, and 30% can get admitted to Vandy, that means his starting point was limited to 75. Of those 75, lets say 75% just have no interest in Vandy based on geography, SEC, style of play, whatever, you are down to 18 recruitable high major recruits.

At Pitt (and most everywhere), NCAA minimum is all thats required. So, instead of starting with 75 players, you start with the full 250. Its a huge advantage at Pitt.

And if you think Stallings is lying, the Vandy bestn writer confirmed that they have tougher admission standards for their athletes. I guess he is lying too.
I didn't miss the point. The point was that Stallings was giving excuses for being a losing coach in the SEC. I don't want a coach that gives excuses I want one that wins.

Other coaches have found ways to make their school's differences a point of success. Sounds like Stallings is laying the groundwork for why he will fail.

To be fair they did go 11-7 in conference. They had an easier conference slate but a much tougher out of conference schedule regardless of what the RPI says. Vandy played the likes of Kansas, Texas, Dayton, Purdue, Baylor, Missouri and St. Johns' I know Missouri and St. John's ended up terrible but they did schedule a much larger slate of teams from power conferences than Dixon ever did instead. I prefer that over gaming the system against sub par mid major teams that end up with decent records just to boast RPI. Plus they also beat Kentucky and Texas AM this year...does anyone believe Pitt would have been able to do this?

Vanderbilt's admissions are more strict than Duke's.
And who knows if they make exceptions?? Most schools do. Pitt's admission reqs are a lot different from the NCAA rules.....until we get a kid who is NCAA OK, yet below Pitt's rules for non-athletes.
The facts DO tell us that he's recruited pretty well....and done little with it. Everyone complains about the last few years under Jamie. How did Vandy do in those years?? With supposedly higher-rated recruits?? In 2 MUCH tougher conferences.

The new coach that Vandy is able to attract should tell a lot about their recruiting restrictions. What good coach would want to go there if the recruiting "pool" is really that limited? Sounds like a tough sell.

I wouldn't be surprised if Vandy has to make some "concessions" on the recruiting front to attract a good coach - remember that Vandy hasn't tried to hire a new BB coach in a long, long time.

Go Pitt.

Plus they also beat Kentucky and Texas AM this year...does anyone believe Pitt would have been able to do this?

If I'm not mistaken, Pitt ended up with a winning record over eventual Elite 8 and FF teams so, yes, it's not hard to believe that Pitt could've compiled wins comparable to Vandy's.

Reactions: 33pitt99
You don't read your own posts, do you?

My point is: academic standards are a pathetic excuse for justifying recruiting. You honestly mean to tell me if Derrick Rose wanted to play at Vandy they would have turned him away over grades? That's absurd.

Vandy would make an exception for McD AAs, Im sure. Maybe NCAA minimums would do but for that kid ranked 125th, I'm sorry, Vandy is going to take a minimum qualifier.

And the other thing is Vandy doesnt have sham majors and classes to hide these kids in. You dont think players know that?

And he wasnt making an excuse, he was directly asked about recruiting restrictions there. He could have lied I guess.

All schools, no matter what their perception, mostly promoted by their own pompous alumni, have very relaxed admission standards for athletes.
This includes;
Duke
Stanford
Notre Dame
Vanderbilt
And, that bastion of integrity, The cult.
That simply isn't true at Stanford, Northwestern, or Vandy. At ND the admissions standards for athletes, while not as strict as for non-athletes, are nonetheless higher than the NCAA requires, which means they can't recruit many of the same kids that Alabama or OSU can. That is what frustrated Lou Holtz into leaving.

That simply isn't true at Stanford, Northwestern, or Vandy. At ND the admissions standards for athletes, while not as strict as for non-athletes, are nonetheless higher than the NCAA requires, which means they can't recruit many of the same kids that Alabama or OSU can. That is what frustrated Lou Holtz into leaving.
So you are saying that the admissions standards at Stanford, Northwestern, Vandy. and ND are the same for their athletes and their non-athletes.

Vandy would make an exception for McD AAs, Im sure. Maybe NCAA minimums would do but for that kid ranked 125th, I'm sorry, Vandy is going to take a minimum qualifier.

And the other thing is Vandy doesnt have sham majors and classes to hide these kids in. You dont think players know that?

And he wasnt making an excuse, he was directly asked about recruiting restrictions there. He could have lied I guess.

So I just looked: Young, Artis, and Robinson are all communications majors. And as shocking as this may be, Vandy has a communications major!

I know this must be hard for you to understand but not every school believes that winning Fb and bb games are the most important thing that an academic institution can do .I'd bet most (95% ) D1 recruits couldn't gain admission to the schools they play for if it wasn't for their athletic prowess. At a small school like Vandy there's nowhere to hide the classes aren't big enough. Now your competing against kids with 1500 board scores whose job it is to study ( and party ) while yours is play and practice and lift weights plus go to school. He was stating a fact not an excuse.

So you are saying that the admissions standards at Stanford, Northwestern, Vandy. and ND are the same for their athletes and their non-athletes.
At one point recently a FB had to first be admitted to stanford before getting a scholarship. So recent past Stanford didn't make exceptions for athlete's, but they have recently relaxed there stance on that however. But no ND,vandy,stanford and NW all have different standards for athlete's than for the regular students. They do however require the student athlete to have more than the min. required by the ncaa. When holtz bitched about ND I remember him saying his recruits had to have a 1000 on Sat instead of the 700 that was required by the ncaa at the time. He claimed that half the kids he would try to recruit couldn't get admitted at ND. Vandy and NW are the same way I buy the fact that probably only half the kids stallings wanted could even get in. Pitt will take anyone(just like most schools) as long as they clear the NCAA, of course we won't take convicted felons like wvu but I guess you have to draw the line somewhere.

The whole topic of this thread is misdirected. By a pretty much consensus view, Stallings got better players to Vandy than Pitt had and yet had less success with them. If it's true that he has 2 first rounders on this year's team then, arguably, that team is more talented than Pitt's was in 08-09 where we had two second rounders. Maybe you can surmise that without the restrictions, he'll pull even more talented classes to Pitt. Time will tell and I'm not sure it'll be that simple, but maybe going by recent history it might be needed just to maintain the status quo.

Easy.

Vanderbilt was pre season top 20 and picked 2nd in the SEC. Pitt was preseason unranked and picked 10th in the ACC.

Vanderbilt had two future NBA first round picks, plus one of the best 3 point shooters in the country in Finney-Smith. Pitt had no players with an NBA future.

Vanderbilt played in the weakest P5 conference, by far, and Pitt played in the strongest.

Vanderbilt went 19-13 and barely made the tournament as one of the last four in. They then lost by 20 in the playin game.

Pitt went 21-12 and was safely in on selection sunday. And lost in the final seconds to a Sweet 16 team.
Ummmmm. Finney-Smith played for Florida. Just sayin

At one point recently a FB had to first be admitted to stanford before getting a scholarship. So recent past Stanford didn't make exceptions for athlete's, but they have recently relaxed there stance on that however. But no ND,vandy,stanford and NW all have different standards for athlete's than for the regular students. They do however require the student athlete to have more than the min. required by the ncaa. When holtz bitched about ND I remember him saying his recruits had to have a 1000 on Sat instead of the 700 that was required by the ncaa at the time. He claimed that half the kids he would try to recruit couldn't get admitted at ND. Vandy and NW are the same way I buy the fact that probably only half the kids stallings wanted could even get in. Pitt will take anyone(just like most schools) as long as they clear the NCAA, of course we won't take convicted felons like wvu but I guess you have to draw the line somewhere.
Thank you for the explanation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT