ADVERTISEMENT

Stansbury strikes again. #3 2019 player

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
going to WKU and reclassifying to 2018. How does this guy do it without getting caught? I give him credit for cheating as long as he has with everyone knowing he is doing it but never even being investigated.

Seems odd, but maybe he wants to stay close to home and doesn't like Kentucky or Louisville.

I'm not familiar with Stansbury, or follow recruiting in general very closely. But I just happened to glance at the rankings because of this post and noticed Oregon has 4 of the top 100 for 2018, 3 of which are in the top 50. And 3 are from the eastern US. Does that seem suspicious?

Seems odd, but maybe he wants to stay close to home and doesn't like Kentucky or Louisville.

I'm not familiar with Stansbury, or follow recruiting in general very closely. But I just happened to glance at the rankings because of this post and noticed Oregon has 4 of the top 100 for 2018, 3 of which are in the top 50. And 3 are from the eastern US. Does that seem suspicious?
yes

Reactions: thirteenNINE
You don't need to pay the kid money, just hire his guardian as one of your assistant coaches.

You don't need to pay the kid money, just hire his guardian as one of your assistant coaches.

Right, and for any one-and-done type, it really doesn’t matter that much where you play the one year. Talent will be found by scouts. Go to a smaller school and have the offense revolve around you.

Right, and for any one-and-done type, it really doesn’t matter that much where you play the one year. Talent will be found by scouts. Go to a smaller school and have the offense revolve around you.

How is this not considered human trafficking? American brings African kid over to USA to profit off of him by using him to get a high-paying job.

How is this not considered human trafficking? American brings African kid over to USA to profit off of him by using him to get a high-paying job.

Well, Bassey did willingly leave Nigeria. He and his parents saw it as an opportunity to receive a better education and advance his basketball skills in a more competitive environment. It's sad that his guardian is profiting from his talents, but not sure how you stop something like that from happening. Hiring parents (and sometimes guardians) as assistant coaches is becoming a very common recruiting technique.

You cannot possibly be serious. You don't think that African kid benefits enormously from coming over to America, getting a high school diploma and a college scholarship? Human trafficking? Jesus wept.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy

You cannot possibly be serious. You don't think that African kid benefits enormously from coming over to America, getting a high school diploma and a college scholarship? Human trafficking? Jesus wept.

Human trafficking is probably the wrong legal term in a case like this but I would have to believe some law would have to be broken by bringing an African kid over to profit off of.

Human trafficking is probably the wrong legal term in a case like this but I would have to believe some law would have to be broken by bringing an African kid over to profit off of.

There's no probably about it, this doesn't constitute human trafficking by any reasonable definition, legally or colloquially. It's honestly just an incredibly bizarre thing to say for a number of reasons. I'm not suggesting the guy who brought Bassey over did so for purely altruistic reasons. Then again, why should he? If he's protecting the kid the way a guardian should, there's nothing wrong with him also benefiting from the relationship. From Bassey's perspective, WKU is just a place he'll spend a year before he becomes a millionaire. If going there helps a guy who is responsible for helping him get to America, seems like quid pro quo to me. Human trafficking? Please.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
..."probably the wrong legal term"...PROBABLY...in the running for biggest understatement of the year so far.

It's not only completely legal, there is an entire category of Visa applications for this exact scenario.

You are a real racist.

First of all, most human trafficking doesn’t involve Africans, but somehow you assume this “African” kid is too stupid to make good decisions for his life. You have no shame.

You are a real racist.

First of all, most human trafficking doesn’t involve Africans, but somehow you assume this “African” kid is too stupid to make good decisions for his life. You have no shame.

Hahaha. Sure, buddy. This kid and many others like him are exploited for financial gain by their American guardians. Is it a good deal for the foreign kids (mostly West African), yes. It is better for their careers to move to the US in HS. However, their American "guardians" should not be profiting through coaching positions, or one time payouts when they make the NBA.

And by the way, maybe this kid wasn't "trafficked" but there is a whole culture of trafficking poor African soccer players with the promise of a better future in Europe. Its a big deal, watched a documentary on it. Do not be surprised if there is some level of trafficking going on with these kids. Money is being made very shadily off of them. I am sure the same system is used in basketball starting very corruptly by a local "talent scout." Bassey was one of the few who made it out. I am sure there are hundreds who the system took advantage of it. The NCAA has to regulate this better. I am all for helping these kids but you shouldn't be allowed to personally profit

And by the way, maybe this kid wasn't "trafficked" but there is a whole culture of trafficking poor African soccer players with the promise of a better future in Europe. Its a big deal, watched a documentary on it. Do not be surprised if there is some level of trafficking going on with these kids. Money is being made very shadily off of them. I am sure the same system is used in basketball starting very corruptly by a local "talent scout." Bassey was one of the few who made it out. I am sure there are hundreds who the system took advantage of it. The NCAA has to regulate this better. I am all for helping these kids but you shouldn't be allowed to personally profit

Honestly, source these claims or stop posting. You watched a "documentary" and now you're just throwing out one sweeping generalization after another with absolutely nothing to support them. This is not human trafficking. This is as much human trafficking as it is kabuki theatre.

Honestly, source these claims or stop posting. You watched a "documentary" and now you're just throwing out one sweeping generalization after another with absolutely nothing to support them. This is not human trafficking. This is as much human trafficking as it is kabuki theatre.

https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/soccers-lost-boys/

You can't tell me this isn't happening with these African basketball imports. It cant be a soccer-only thing. This is going to be the next big ball to drop. This is a form of human trafficking. No, its not the type of human trafficking you associate with that nasty term but it is a form of it.

Here's another link to a potential child trafficking case linked to a Paterson HS basketball team. Almost every major private NJ top basketball program has a West African or 2. But because this one was a public (public school bball in NJ is like 2nd rate), it ticked off the right people.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articl...ions_including_human_trafficking_concerns.amp

Reactions: dwkuhn
https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/soccers-lost-boys/

You can't tell me this isn't happening with these African basketball imports. It cant be a soccer-only thing. This is going to be the next big ball to drop. This is a form of human trafficking. No, its not the type of human trafficking you associate with that nasty term but it is a form of it.

Here's another link to a potential child trafficking case linked to a Paterson HS basketball team. Almost every major private NJ top basketball program has a West African or 2. But because this one was a public (public school bball in NJ is like 2nd rate), it ticked off the right people.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articl...ions_including_human_trafficking_concerns.amp

I should have been more clear. These are the claims I was asking you to source:

"I am sure the same system is used in basketball starting very corruptly by a local "talent scout." Bassey was one of the few who made it out. I am sure there are hundreds who the system took advantage of it. The NCAA has to regulate this better. I am all for helping these kids but you shouldn't be allowed to personally profit."

You say you're sure that the same system is used in basketball, okay, show me proof. What happens to young footballers around the world is often incredibly exploitative, not just Africans mind you, but we're talking about a very different scenario than people coming to America to play college basketball. These football agents that you're referring to are literally con men who make tall claims and then ghost the kids the moment they get paid. That's awful, but that isn't even remotely close to what's happening here. There are paper trails, there's direct involvement with reputable prep schools, universities, etc.

What it seems that you're doing is creating a false equivalence between "this guy is looking to benefit financially from getting African kids into the NCAA system" and "human trafficking". Your heart seems to be in the right place so I don't want to seem too harsh, but man, you're really off base.

Hahaha. Sure, buddy. This kid and many others like him are exploited for financial gain by their American guardians. Is it a good deal for the foreign kids (mostly West African), yes. It is better for their careers to move to the US in HS. However, their American "guardians" should not be profiting through coaching positions, or one time payouts when they make the NBA.

You are clearly, and I mean clearly, stating that because he is African he cannot be making his own decisions. He is only a pawn in someone’s scheme.

Shouldn’t you be happy that he has marketable skills and he is coming to a place where they are actually marketable. They ain’t much of a market in African for playing basketball.

This thread just proves what a cesspool college athletics is right now, at least in the 2 major sports. It's a charade where kids very rarely go to college for the right reason and even more rarely get a degree. Go to class???? Yeah, right!!! Just call it what it is....semi-pro sports. The kids don't need to go to class or get a degree, just play their sport and get paid until they turn fully pro.

You are clearly, and I mean clearly, stating that because he is African he cannot be making his own decisions. He is only a pawn in someone’s scheme.

Shouldn’t you be happy that he has marketable skills and he is coming to a place where they are actually marketable. They ain’t much of a market in African for playing basketball.

He is a kid, a minor. I say the same things about American kids who are exploited and profited off of. These KIDS should have parents or guardians involved in these decisions but unfortunately their "guardians" are American profiteers.

He is a kid, a minor. I say the same things about American kids who are exploited and profited off of. These KIDS should have parents or guardians involved in these decisions but unfortunately their "guardians" are American profiteers.
You make a point of him being African. A strong point. You are racist.

You make a point of him being African. A strong point. You are racist.
If he is Africian and from Africa how can that be racist its just a fact snowflake.
It's like saying someone is American, or European, of Sandanavian etc.

I guess you're one of the we need an outrage of the day so let's creat one!

Unless I didn't get you joke?

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Reactions: bolk1337
If he is Africian and from Africa how can that be racist its just a fact snowflake.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!
Go back and read his original post.

Also; if people are going to call everything racist that involves “Africans,” maybe they are the real racists. I wouldn’t just assume this African player is too dumb to make decent decisions.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!
And I don’t think it was as much a joke as it was just pointing out that he wasn’t just stating a fact, he was making a wild assumption.

And “snowflake?” Wildly misused on this one sir. :)

Go back and read his original post.

Also; if people are going to call everything racist that involves “Africans,” maybe they are the real racists. I wouldn’t just assume this African player is too dumb to make decent decisions.
What? The kid is African. Many of the kids being exploited like this are African. Stating the kid is African isn't racist, at all.

This thread is ridiculous and not because of SeanMillerFan. Yeah stating this is human trafficking is probably the wrong term but you idiots taking this into him being racist or a "retard" are clearly overreacting.

But this scenario is why college hoops is such a cesspool.

Maybe in the end it works out for the kid and he becomes a millionare and make a much better world for himself than his previous situation.

But his so called guardian is pimping this kid out to get himself a job.

This is not illegal but this has scum written all over it.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Usually, the ones yelling racist are the racists. I don't think anyone was making this into a race matter, but some had to interject and make it a racist matter. Typical of American culture now and all of this political correctness nonsense.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!
I believe we call Ernie Els an African is that racist?

Reactions: Jpripper88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT