ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier NCAA Tournament Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** They call this March Madness. But for this Panther fan, this year I’ll go with Spring Satisfaction.

** That is because as I sit here with my laptop, I feel not the anger or dismay or even disgust that fans can often feel with losses. Overall, I have a sense of fulfillment.

** It’s always tough to lose in this glorious single elimination event. Sometimes the loss can be incredibly close, turning on a miracle shot, an unfathomable error, or a questionable call. But at the end of the month, the Tournament usually does indeed find the best team.

** Today’s loss to the Musketeers was just that. A loss to the better team who really ran us off the three point line which was our calling card. My only real regret was that we were only within near-miracle distance, instead of any realistic deficit we could overcome in the second half.

** Sure, maybe It might have been a bit more fun for it to have been something like a 6 or 7 point game instead only being able to find our way to trim the mark to 8.

** Perhaps if Jamarius finds a wide open Greg instead of the hands of Souley Boum near the two minute mark, maybe we are all speaking about completely different emotions than just satisfaction. But alas we are not.

** And this isn’t to say that I think the Panthers played poorly today otherwise. They took care of the ball, and even started to get some things figured out defensively as the game went on. But our shots left us short.

** Most importantly, they never gave up and battled to the final buzzer. I was actually kind of impressed with their energy and enthusiasm, if not even gumption, in the last seven minutes till the end. Xavier was stuck on 74 for quite some time.

** A wise fan once wrote on this message board that any team’s goal should really to be simply the best team they can be. It’s easy for me to believe the Panthers met that goal this year.

** If you believe as I do this was the case, then it’s also important to recognize that the Panthers were always a team full holes and not loads and loads of talent. But they truly became a team who played together and found ways to get it done.

** One only needs to look at wins against Mississippi State and and Iowa State to realize this. Both are pretty decent basketball teams, and we beat them within three days of each other.

** Even more importantly, the Panthers won these games without their starting center, and instead won them with a 190 backup.

** And GDG wasn’t really even our backup center this year. He was our second backup center.

** There's no way I can know for sure if our team, our chemistry and our results would have been worse with John Hugley. All we can know for sure is that these things were pretty good without him.

** And in the long run, knowing John’s absence thrust the Twins into a larger role, maybe it’s better regardless.

** Their physical development will likely determine if they can become higher end players. But what we know now is that the Twins are indeed major college basketball players.

** Early in the season, Capel used to talk about the tremendous energy that the Twins bring when they are on the court. Generally, I don’t always like the phrase because it seems to be a compliment a coach gives to a players who try hard but don't necessarily produce.

** In these last few days, the Twins certainly did both. Now I’m suspecting there are a bunch of top teams who wish they would have snagged them instead of Jeff.

** In the coming weeks, we can talk about what this team need to add besides weight on the Twins and Fede, and maybe a few less pounds on Blake.

** Instead, I just want to offer a note of sincere appreciation for our departing quartet of senior guards. Somehow, I wish this game could have sent all four out with a little more fanfare. But each battled to the buzzer and should hold their heads high.

** In fact, the only downbeat notion I will offer this afternoon is my general fear that’s it’s going to be more difficult to replace these guys than we might think.

** Take Nike for example. Today he led the Panthers today with 9 rebounds. Just as he’s has done all year long, he brought all he had. All four seniors did. That’s why we are here today talking about a loss in the Round of 32 instead of who are next coach will be.

** This time last year many, including me, thought this would be Capel’s last year. I believe I wrote about my disposition for the program at the time calling it “sad.” Therefore, “sad” to “satisfied” is certainly a great leap forward.

** So thanks to our Panthers for a tremendously exciting and fun basketball season. Heck, I was shopping in Giant Eagle yesterday and found myself getting into a conversation with a couple fellow shoppers about this game. How long has it been since that would ever happen?

** In the coming weeks, Capel and staff have plenty of work to do keep us here. But without a doubt, I can close with a statement that we all now know is a fact. We Are Back!

** They call this March Madness. But for this Panther fan, this year I’ll go with Spring Satisfaction.

** That is because as I sit here with my laptop, I feel not the anger or dismay or even disgust that fans can often feel with losses. Overall, I have a sense of fulfillment.

** It’s always tough to lose in this glorious single elimination event. Sometimes the loss can be incredibly close, turning on a miracle shot, an unfathomable error, or a questionable call. But at the end of the month, the Tournament usually does indeed find the best team.

** Today’s loss to the Musketeers was just that. A loss to the better team, and really ran us off the three point line. My only real regret was that we were only within near-miracle distance, instead of any realistic deficit we could overcome in the second half.

** Sure, maybe It might have been a bit more fun for it to have been something like a 6 or 7 point game instead only being able to find our way to trim the mark to 8.

** Perhaps if Jamarius finds a wide open Greg instead of the hands of Souley Boum near the two minute mark, maybe we are all speaking about completely different emotions than just satisfaction. But alas we are not.

** And this isn’t to say that I think the Panthers played poorly today otherwise. They took care of the ball, and even started to get some things figured out defensively as the game went on. But our shots left us short.

** Most importantly, they never gave up and battled to the final buzzer. I was actually kind of impressed with their energy and enthusiasm, if not even gumption, in the last seven minutes till the end. Xavier was stuck on 74 for quite some time.

** A wise fan once wrote on this message board that any team’s goal should really to be simply the best team they can be. It’s easy for me to believe the Panthers met that goal this year.

** If you believe as I do this was the case, then it’s also important to recognize that the Panthers were always a team full holes and not loads and loads of talent. But they truly became a team who played together and found ways to get it done.

** One only needs to look at wins against Mississippi State and and Iowa State to realize this. Both are pretty decent basketball teams, and we beat them within three days of each other.

** Even more importantly, the Panthers won these games without their starting center, and instead won them with a 190 backup.

** And GDG wasn’t really even our backup center this year. He was our second backup center.

** There's no way I can know for sure if our team, our chemistry and our results would have been worse with John Hugley. All we can know for sure is that these things were pretty good without him.

** And in the long run, knowing John’s absence thrust the Twins into a larger role, maybe it’s better regardless.

** Their physical development will likely determine if they can become higher end players. But what we know now is that the Twins are indeed major college basketball players.

** Early in the season, Capel used to talk about the tremendous energy that the Twins bring when they are on the court. Generally, I don’t always like the phrase because it seems to be a compliment a coach gives to a player who tries hard but doesn’t necessarily produce.

** In these last few days, they certainly did both. Now I’m suspecting there are a bunch of top teams who wish they would have snagged them instead of Jeff.

** In the coming weeks, we can talk about what this team need to add besides weight on the Twins and Fede, and maybe a few less pounds on Blake.

** Instead, I just want to offer a note of sincere appreciation for our departing quartet of senior guards. Somehow, I wish this game could have sent all four out with a little more fanfare. But each battled to the buzzer and should hold their heads high.

** In fact, the only downbeat notion I will offer this afternoon is my general fear that’s it’s going to be more difficult to replace these guys than we might think.

** Take Nike for example. Today he led the Panthers today with 9 rebounds. Just as he’s has done all year long, he brought all he had. All four seniors did. That’s why we are here today talking about a loss in the Round of 32 instead of who are next coach will be.

** This time last year many, including me, thought this would be Capel’s last year. I believe I wrote about my disposition for the program at the time calling it “sad.” Therefore, “sad” to “satisfied” is certainly a great leap forward.

** So thanks to our Panthers for a tremendously exciting and fun basketball season. Heck, I was shopping in Giant Eagle yesterday and found myself getting into a conversation with a couple fellow shoppers about this game. How long has it been since that would ever happen?

** In the coming weeks, Capel and staff have plenty of work to do keep us here. But without a doubt, I can close with a statement that we all now know is a fact. We Are Back!
Good stuff DT. Agree with all of it.

I would add that the growth of GDG from the first half of that MissSU game to today was exponential. He did some good things in that game, particularly frustrating Smith and with the block on him at the end, but he generally looked like a guy with 10 thumbs and two left feet, especially any time the ball ended up in his hands. He looked a ton better against ISU and like a completely different player today. I would attribute it to confidence. And I’m sure his teammates and coaches have had a lot to do with that. Good stuff.

Everything happens for a reason, DT. Think about the adversities, player changes, and ups and downs of the entire season capped off by our NCAAT run this year. Think of Fede getting hurt, and the emergence of a better GDG. There is a reason we went this far and, hopefully, be better for it next year. The fun has just started.

Last edited:
Everything happens for a reason, DT. Think about the adversities, player changes, and ups and downs of the entire season capped off by our NCAAT run this year. There is a reason we went this far and, hopefully, be better for it next year. The fun has just started.
We’re losing a lot, especially in the guts and leadership departments.

It will take some serious offseason roster management to replicate this year.

Yes, that's true. That's why Capel needs to look extensively in the portal for the experienced, seasoned players who are team players and mature. We can't count on any incoming freshmen to contribute in any meaningful way, if they even get here. It will take time. That's why the portal is there.

Reactions: rockypanther

This is very true. Those four guys had a tremendous amount to do with Pitt’s resurgent play and results this year.

The difference to me is that college basketball rosters, not only for Pitt but for just about everybody, are a year to year enterprise now. The opportunity to find replacements who could be as good - or possibly even better – are wide-open.

It’ll be the job of the head coach and the entire Pitt staff to identify, recruit and acquire the right players, who will be available in the portal. Fit, talent, skill set and character. It will be possible. Now they have to do it.

We are back . There’s a core to build upon which couldn’t be said about last yr . There’s three freshman coming in , of which two are highly regarded . Hopefully Dior stays , which I feel he will otherwise he’d have been gone already . All Wil needs is to find some confidence in his offense his D and rebounding are pluses which were sorely missed this yr . There’s no uncertainty regarding the head coach and his staff . Add all of this up and it should be far easier to recruit in the portal . Pitt bb is in a much better place .

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
We might have found a perfect storm, so to speak, with the 2022-2023 Pitt team. Capel found the right components of experience to complement the incoming freshman/under classmen. Obvious changes to the lineup included Dior's suspension, Hugley's self-removal, and no Jeffress. And yet, we got a bonus from the twins (they literally "grew up" before our eyes) and until his knee injury, a pleasant year from Fede. Plus, the guys all got along well; really well

As others said, the need next year is not too different from this, as Pitt would benefit from having guard experience/depth plus another 3 who can shoot. This will help as our 2023 recruits/Dior develop. It wouldn't surprise me if Pitt were as good next year as they were this; but it also wouldn't surprise me if they're just over .500 too. This will define the staff - confidence thing is being earned

Thanks Panthers and Coach Capel et al. It felt good to be back!

We might have found a perfect storm, so to speak, with the 2022-2023 Pitt team. Capel found the right components of experience to complement the incoming freshman/under classmen. Obvious changes to the lineup included Dior's suspension, Hugley's self-removal, and no Jeffress. And yet, we got a bonus from the twins (they literally "grew up" before our eyes) and until his knee injury, a pleasant year from Fede. Plus, the guys all got along well; really well

As others said, the need next year is not too different from this, as Pitt would benefit from having guard experience/depth plus another 3 who can shoot. This will help as our 2023 recruits/Dior develop. It wouldn't surprise me if Pitt were as good next year as they were this; but it also wouldn't surprise me if they're just over .500 too. This will define the staff - confidence thing is being earned

Thanks Panthers and Coach Capel et al. It felt good to be back!
Yeah - if I’m being honest- it’s going to be really hard to replicate this season ‘s success next season. We lose 4 veteran guards who scored like over 6000 points combined . And , Nike and Burton were with the program for multiple years .

Not to mention the league will probably be better next season. That said, we have to be a really attractive spot for quality transfers - especially guards and wings .

Just a super fun season to say the least and I hope it catapults the program to sustained success. Hail to PItt !

"We are back" - geez of all the posters on this board I can't believe you went there DT. 😗

** Today’s loss to the Musketeers was just that. A loss to the better team, and really ran us off the three point line. My only real regret was that we were only within near-miracle distance, instead of any realistic deficit we could overcome in the second half.

** Early in the season, Capel used to talk about the tremendous energy that the Twins bring when they are on the court. Generally, I don’t always like the phrase because it seems to be a compliment a coach gives to a players who try hard but don't necessarily produce.

** In these last few days, the Twins certainly did both. Now I’m suspecting there are a bunch of top teams who wish they would have snagged them instead of Jeff.

Guillermo Diaz Graham playing starter minutes the last 4 games against Duke, Xavier, Iowa State, and Mississippi State, all NCAA Tournament teams.

31 minutes per game

9.3 points per game
7.25 rebounds per game
2 blocks per game
2 assists per game
1 steal per game
.5 turnover per game

4 game ORTG Offensive Power ratings against these 4 teams. 138, 44, 162, 119

Record against these teams : 2-2

He is going to be a really good player next year and is a good player right now, Ive said it multiple times. His brother is clearly not a center and should not be playing any center at all ever again after the last 4 games I watched, but we didn't have any choice for Jorge being a backup with Fede hurt.

We are going to need to get a backup center next year. But I think there is a good chance Guillermo starts at center next year. His upside is terrific and he more than delivered the last 4 games against legit NCAA caliber talent. He is going to be a lot better next year with a full offseason to get stronger and get in better shape. We are in decent hands with him and Fede at Center.

Its time to recruit some guards in the portal.

@DT_PITT this season was a blast. So happy for people like you and all the other good PItt fans who have supported the program in a tangible way and sticking with it while enduring a very tough stretch.

But now this offseason will be EXTREMELY important. For putting all of next year’s roster together. For development of the returning players. For making as sure as reasonably possible that there is no return to the darker days prior to this season.

I think there’s a lot of reasons for optimism. I look at the current environment with the Portal and player movement as a tremendous OPPORTUNITY for a PItt program that I believe has a helluva lot to offer to good CBB players.

This team may have come closer to it's "theoretical ceiling" than any other Pitt team. Certainly closer than any Pitt team in a long time.

What we got was just about everything these guys could have given us. And you can't ask for anything more than that.

Yeah - if I’m being honest- it’s going to be really hard to replicate this season ‘s success next season. We lose 4 veteran guards who scored like over 6000 points combined . And , Nike and Burton were with the program for multiple years .

Not to mention the league will probably be better next season. That said, we have to be a really attractive spot for quality transfers - especially guards and wings .

Just a super fun season to say the least and I hope it catapults the program to sustained success. Hail to PItt !
We will go from one of the oldest teams in the league to probably one of the youngest and most inexperienced as well.

We will go from one of the oldest teams in the league to probably one of the youngest and most inexperienced as well.
We'll have a 6th-year senior in Hinson as the team leader.

And Capel will bring in a veteran guard as well, hopefully also with leadership qualities.

But this is Blake's team next year. And there's no reason he can't be an 18 PPG / 8 REB guy next year. He was 2nd team ACC this year, he needs to be 1st team next year.

Does he have the personality to be a leader? We'll find out. But the 2023-24 Panthers are his team.

Reactions: PittPoker

And Capel will bring in a veteran guard as well, hopefully also with leadership qualities.

But this is Blake's team next year. And there's no reason he can't be an 18 PPG / 8 REB guy next year. He was 2nd team ACC this year, he needs to be 1st team next year.

Does he have the personality to be a leader? We'll find out. But the 2023-24 Panthers are his team.

Hinson appears to be a really great teammate (along with a pretty darn good player). Hopefully he'll stick around so we can learn what kind of leader. Because like you said, this is his team next year.

Hopefully, he'll step up much like Lamar Patterson as a senior. I wasn't sure what it would be like when it was Lamar's team, but he did very well.

How much eligibility does he have left? Is the Covid extra year available to him?

** Today’s loss to the Musketeers was just that. A loss to the better team who really ran us off the three point line which was our calling card. My only real regret was that we were only within near-miracle distance, instead of any realistic deficit we could overcome in the second half.

Love your write ups. Thanks for another great season of them. Glad to see your renewed passion.

Good stuff DT. Agree with all of it.

I would add that the growth of GDG from the first half of that MissSU game to today was exponential. He did some good things in that game, particularly frustrating Smith and with the block on him at the end, but he generally looked like a guy with 10 thumbs and two left feet, especially any time the ball ended up in his hands. He looked a ton better against ISU and like a completely different player today. I would attribute it to confidence. And I’m sure his teammates and coaches have had a lot to do with that. Good stuff.
Thanks DT for all you do!!

Thanks again DT for your insight and dribbles! I always enjoy reading your unbiased opinions. You praise the team and coaches when they play well, but also can critique them fairly when they play poorly! I really appreciate that!

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
This team may have come closer to it's "theoretical ceiling" than any other Pitt team. Certainly closer than any Pitt team in a long time.

What we got was just about everything these guys could have given us. And you can't ask for anything more than that.
I said this to someone just a few hours ago, about this team really overachieving our expectations, coming pretty close to their ceiling. It would have been nice to have had a piece of ACC first place, they came so close, but they did win two NCAA tournament games where they were marginal underdogs. And that was a lot of fun.

I said this to someone just a few hours ago, about this team really overachieving our expectations, coming pretty close to their ceiling. It would have been nice to have had a piece of ACC first place, they came so close, but they did win two NCAA tournament games where they were marginal underdogs. And that was a lot of fun.

It would have been really nice. We were a great program not too long ago…but you’d never know that on a typical ACC telecast. They love to go down memory lane within the ACC. So all the usual suspects get mentioned, but not much of us. So really bad timing for us to have such a bad stretch.

That’s why I keep saying we need to hang ACC banners. It will modernize our brand and perception.

Thank you @DT_PITT for your contributions to this board. It's wonderful as a Pitt alum and fan to have a place where we can all come together and share this mutual passion for Pitt hoops and all of the ups and downs that go with it. I'm very proud of this team and the year that we had. It has been for me the most fun since 2009.

Looking forward to transfer portal season. Let's leverage this year into another era of great hoops. Hail to Pitt!

It would have been really nice. We were a great program not too long ago…but you’d never know that on a typical ACC telecast. They love to go down memory lane within the ACC. So all the usual suspects get mentioned, but not much of us. So really bad timing for us to have such a bad stretch.

That’s why I keep saying we need to hang ACC banners. It will modernize our brand and perception.
The difference between having a banner year and not, unfortunately. For as big as the turnaround might prove to be for the program, it was a huge missed opportunity from a historical point of view.

My man. Great stuff. As usual - H2P!

The difference between having a banner year and not, unfortunately. For as big as the turnaround might prove to be for the program, it was a huge missed opportunity from a historical point of view.

Baby steps. Maybe we can get one next year. But it will take a lot of things coming together for that to happen. The jury's still out on Capel as being good for 1 year doesn't move the needle that much. If he can put together a few years like this, then we can start talking about possible banners and titles. But this was a missed opportunity, for sure.

In order to be that guy he needs to lose about 20 pounds.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT