ADVERTISEMENT

Statistics are fun, aren't they?

Chairman Moe

All Conference
Nov 4, 2003
Just around the corner from Paradise
I know that many posters - as well as a few of the local beat writers - were still disappointed by our offense last night. And perhaps, for good reason, as Pitt's offense has been anything like they were the first five games of the season. But before we completely dismiss how bad the offense "appeared", look at three statistics:

TOP for each team last night, number of offensive plays ran by each team, and offensive points per TOP

Pitt: 18:48 TOP = 217 net yards, or 11.6 yards/minute of possession
Syr: 41:12 TOP = 327 new yards, or 7.9 yards/min of possession

Pitt: 44 total offensive plays = 217 net yards, or 4.9 yds/play
Syr: 93 total offensive plays = 327 net yards, or 3.5 yds/play

Pitt: 20 offensive points on 18:48 of offensive TOP = 1 pt/min
Syr: 13 offensive points on 41:12 of offensive TOP = 0.3 pt/min

My "Captain Obvious" notes:

2023 Pitt v Syr game Pitt surrendered over 300 net yds of rushing to the Orange and lost
2024 Pitt v Syr game Pitt surrendered only 6 net yards of rushing to the Orange and won

A complete team effort wins games. All three phases clicked last night

I know that many posters - as well as a few of the local beat writers - were still disappointed by our offense last night. And perhaps, for good reason, as Pitt's offense has been anything like they were the first five games of the season. But before we completely dismiss how bad the offense "appeared", look at three statistics:

TOP for each team last night, number of offensive plays ran by each team, and offensive points per TOP

Pitt: 18:48 TOP = 217 net yards, or 11.6 yards/minute of possession
Syr: 41:12 TOP = 327 new yards, or 7.9 yards/min of possession

Pitt: 44 total offensive plays = 217 net yards, or 4.9 yds/play
Syr: 93 total offensive plays = 327 net yards, or 3.5 yds/play

Pitt: 20 offensive points on 18:48 of offensive TOP = 1 pt/min
Syr: 13 offensive points on 41:12 of offensive TOP = 0.3 pt/min

My "Captain Obvious" notes:

2023 Pitt v Syr game Pitt surrendered over 300 net yds of rushing to the Orange and lost
2024 Pitt v Syr game Pitt surrendered only 6 net yards of rushing to the Orange and won

A complete team effort wins games. All three phases clicked last night

Yeah, only really clueless people would think the offense was an issue last night.

We werent awesome, but certainly not bad. Would have won regardless

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT