Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
I want one of these guys at 17:

Of course if guys way above drop.....but right now one of:

OT. Broderick Jones Georgia
OT-OG Peter Skronski Northwestern
OT Darnell Wright OT. Tennessee
OT Anton Harrison OT. Oklahoma

CB Devon Witherspoon Illinois (My top pick here)
CB Cameron Gonzalez Oregon

OLBDE. Lukas Van Ness Iowa. (Not a huge need, but a huge value here)

TE. Darnell Washington Georgia (Just one of this holy christ, I can't believe he is here Steelers picks)

So far...........................

TE. Darnell Washington Georgia (Just one of this holy christ, I can't believe he is here Steelers picks)

I hate seeing the Steelers always going after a CB only because they always seem to underachieve with this position. Darnell Wright should be available @ 32. I'd still like to see them get Addison if he's available @ 17, or maybe consider a trade with whoever drafts him for Dionte and maybe pick up a few extra draft picks. There seems to be a fair number of decent CB's as well as TE's available for drafting on day 2-3

I hate seeing the Steelers always going after a CB only because they always seem to underachieve with this position. Darnell Wright should be available @ 32. I'd still like to see them get Addison if he's available @ 17, or maybe consider a trade with whoever drafts him for Dionte and maybe pick up a few extra draft picks. There seems to be a fair number of decent CB's as well as TE's available for drafting on day 2-3

I'm worried about drafting a CB in the 1st for that same reason but TBF I think that the guys the Steelers drafted mostly failed bc the Steelers were picking in the late 20s and reached rather than the Steelers are somehow unable to develop CBs. We just always seemed to get sniped for guys like Revis, etc.

Gonzalez and Porter Jr. are significantly better than Artie Burns and Senquez Golson.

I'm worried about drafting a CB in the 1st for that same reason but TBF I think that the guys the Steelers drafted mostly failed bc the Steelers were picking in the late 20s and reached rather than the Steelers are somehow unable to develop CBs. We just always seemed to get sniped for guys like Revis, etc.

Gonzalez and Porter Jr. are significantly better than Artie Burns and Senquez Golson.
That's it. Artie Burns was a reach. This year's CB class is strong, and there should be someone worthy at 17 and or 32. Just like this year should have a good OL at pick 17 or 32.

What I don't want to see is what we have seen the past many years where the Steelers just lock down on a position and take the top guy at THAT position, regardless of where he is on the draft board.

That's why I included a guy like Van Ness who might just be too good to pass up.

Not wanting them to draft a DB because they’ve failed on past DB picks is dumb. Are they supposed to never take another one? I mean Jarvis Jones was a terrible pick at OLB. Would’ve been a shame if they had passed on Watt though. I think the problem is drafting for need to plug that “one last hole”. That has gotten them Troy Edwards, Jarvis, Burns, Bush, Edmunds type overdrafts. This year they have so many needs I don’t see that. Sure across all their picks they have to focus on DL, OL, DB, LB. But other than QB and probably RB they could really take anyone at 17. I think it is a great year to do that because there aren’t a ton of high end talents, but it seems deep, especially at DB and OL. So they can go BPA at 17 and still get a solid lineman or DB later.

Not wanting them to draft a DB because they’ve failed on past DB picks is dumb. Are they supposed to never take another one? I mean Jarvis Jones was a terrible pick at OLB. Would’ve been a shame if they had passed on Watt though. I think the problem is drafting for need to plug that “one last hole”. That has gotten them Troy Edwards, Jarvis, Burns, Bush, Edmunds type overdrafts. This year they have so many needs I don’t see that. Sure across all their picks they have to focus on DL, OL, DB, LB. But other than QB and probably RB they could really take anyone at 17. I think it is a great year to do that because there aren’t a ton of high end talents, but it seems deep, especially at DB and OL. So they can go BPA at 17 and still get a solid lineman or DB later.
Absolutely agree with this approach. They have needs at just about every position. Draft the best player available that fills one of those holes. Don’t reach with any pick.

Absolutely agree with this approach. They have needs at just about every position. Draft the best player available that fills one of those holes. Don’t reach with any pick.
Especially when you have picks 17, 32 and 49. There will be the ability to draft a talent at multiple positions of need. So you just got to take the best player available.

I’m not opposed to trading Dropson and taking a Wr like Addison at 17. Of course will it matter if they stick with the Saturday play calling ?

I have serious doubts that a first round caliber OL-man will be there at 17. Those guys don't usually last that long and this isn't a deep draft at OL like two years ago.

I think you get a better feel for what the needs will be after free agency. The really need a veteran presence in the OL room. Would be disappointing if there isn't some attempt at helping that position out with free agency.

Especially when you have picks 17, 32 and 49. There will be the ability to draft a talent at multiple positions of need. So you just got to take the best player available.
I like the best available player approach. But they need to limit it to the true need positions, like OT, DT, CB and WR. And I'd think twice about a WR or DT with the first pick unless a major, major stud is still there as I don't the drop off between who will be available in round 1 vs the 2 2nd round picks is that steep at those positions. ILB and OG can be addressed via free agency. And S can be addressed by finding a way to keep Edmunds and maybe even Kazee.

Not wanting them to draft a DB because they’ve failed on past DB picks is dumb.
Considering the DB's the Steelers have drafted versus the ones they either traded for or acquired through F/A, I rest my case! Seriously, you can count on one hand the number of significant (high performing/long-lasting) DB's the Steelers have drafted over the past couple decades, and have a finger or two left over.

I like the best available player approach. But they need to limit it to the true need positions, like OT, DT, CB and WR. And I'd think twice about a WR or DT with the first pick unless a major, major stud is still there as I don't the drop off between who will be available in round 1 vs the 2 2nd round picks is that steep at those positions. ILB and OG can be addressed via free agency. And S can be addressed by finding a way to keep Edmunds and maybe even Kazee.

Yeah they need impact players at impact positions - OT, CB, DL, and WR.

They good news is they can't really blow premium picks on RB and TE after doing that the last 2 years lol. They better not freaking take the best ILB or S or something stupid. There will be at least 1 high-upside OT, CB, and DL at 17 and they need to snag him or I'm going to have an aneurysm.

NO! Again, you can't just go fishing for a rainbow trout if you are hungry. This is what got them Jarvis Jones, Artie Burns, Devin Bush, Terrell Edmunds and Najee Harris.
No kidding, but your not going to select a QB at 17 just because he is atop of your board.
You have to pick what you need within 1 to 3 positions, and I don't care what anyone says they need another high level WR for Pickett. You can't win games in the AFC scoring 20 points.

Steelers need an OT to protect Pickett either in the first round or in FA. I bet they do neither.

Steelers need an OT to protect Pickett either in the first round or in FA. I bet they do neither.
Agree, kind of why I'm hesitant to say they need this position or that position until we see what moves they make in free agency. But OL is certainly at the top of the list regarding what needs to be addressed.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
WR: Jordan Addison, Zay Flowers, Quentin Johnston
-Not a huge need, but adding a third receiver to the mix will help a stagnant offense.

OT: Peter Skoronski, Broderick Jones, Paris Johnson, Anton Harrison
-The Steelers need to win in the trenches and tackle is the weakest position along the offensive line. I hope Skoronski's short arms allow him to fall to 17.

CB: Devon Witherspoon, Christian Gonzalez, Cam Smith, Joey Porter Jr.
-Someone will have to go for the Steelers to draft a cornerback in the first round. Witherspooon seems like the best fit, but Gonzalez is a lab built CB.

S: Brian Branch
-Not the biggest need and investing in safety isn't ideal in the first, I just think he's going to be an excellent football player

There's an outside chance the Steelers go DL in the first despite the lack of prospects rated in this area of the draft or edge simply because of the talent.

Using PFF mock draft simulator:

17. Jordan Addison, WR, Pitt
Addison is the best route runner in this draft and I think Pickett-Addison would work out better than Rudolph-Washington.

32. Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State
Tomlin likes splash plays and Forbes was very productive at creating turnovers.

49. Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee
Maybe not an elite prospect, but a player who can anchor an offensive line.

80. Drew Sanders, LB, Arkansas
Has experience both inside and outside. He'll play inside for the Steelers, but has experience rushing the QB and the defensive can take advantage of this.

120. Andrew Vorhees, OL, USC
Played nearly every position on the line, so a versatile depth player who maybe can compete for a starting guard spot in 2024.

236. Habakkuk Baldonado, EDGE, Pitt
Trying to find a sleeper pass rusher late in the draft.

243. Jaiden Woodbey, S, Boston College
Safety could be a thin position after free agency. Has experience playing the box (think a replacement for Marcus Allen).

Reactions: lilspainishflea
WR: Jordan Addison, Zay Flowers, Quentin Johnston
-Not a huge need, but adding a third receiver to the mix will help a stagnant offense.

OT: Peter Skoronski, Broderick Jones, Paris Johnson, Anton Harrison
-The Steelers need to win in the trenches and tackle is the weakest position along the offensive line. I hope Skoronski's short arms allow him to fall to 17.

CB: Devon Witherspoon, Christian Gonzalez, Cam Smith, Joey Porter Jr.
-Someone will have to go for the Steelers to draft a cornerback in the first round. Witherspooon seems like the best fit, but Gonzalez is a lab built CB.

S: Brian Branch
-Not the biggest need and investing in safety isn't ideal in the first, I just think he's going to be an excellent football player

There's an outside chance the Steelers go DL in the first despite the lack of prospects rated in this area of the draft or edge simply because of the talent.

Using PFF mock draft simulator:

17. Jordan Addison, WR, Pitt
Addison is the best route runner in this draft and I think Pickett-Addison would work out better than Rudolph-Washington.

32. Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State
Tomlin likes splash plays and Forbes was very productive at creating turnovers.

49. Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee
Maybe not an elite prospect, but a player who can anchor an offensive line.

80. Drew Sanders, LB, Arkansas
Has experience both inside and outside. He'll play inside for the Steelers, but has experience rushing the QB and the defensive can take advantage of this.

120. Andrew Vorhees, OL, USC
Played nearly every position on the line, so a versatile depth player who maybe can compete for a starting guard spot in 2024.

236. Habakkuk Baldonado, EDGE, Pitt
Trying to find a sleeper pass rusher late in the draft.

243. Jaiden Woodbey, S, Boston College
Safety could be a thin position after free agency. Has experience playing the box (think a replacement for Marcus Allen).
That's not a bad draft.

OK.....I just did a Mock Simulator. I didn't cheat.
1. I think Devon Witherspoon Illinois is the best CB prospect. He was there. I ran with the first pick to the podium
2a. Anton Harris OT Oklahoma. Again, really happy here, was willing to take in Rd 1.
2b. The guy I wanted on the interior DL was still here. Siaka Ika like 6'4" 330lbs from Baylor. Much needed beef up front.
3. I think i got tremendous value here. Need ILB. Iowa's Jack Campbell was still on the board.
4. Olegson Oluwatomi Center from Michigan. Can play Guard also. Really happy here.
No 5 or 6.
7a. Moro Ojumo DL Texas. Another big body to give youth to an aging DL.
7b. Homer pick, but the Steelers do this with this last pick. Jared Wayne WR Pitt. Steelers could use a big frame WR.

I'd like to add my random thought or thoughts here real quick.

Thank God Colbert finally retired. Hall of Fame worthy career, (at some point) . Became complacent in the prime Roethlisberger years, with AB and Lev Bell. I won't go into defending my opinion, but it was horrible at the end.

If Khan and Weidel are as hungry as Colbert was in his "prove it" years, than we're going to be back in the playoffs, making runs and etc.

But drafting guys like Artie Burns, Kendrick Green as day one starters. Ignoring offensive lineman for as long as he did. Never being aggressive with draft day trades beyond Devon Bush play big roles in why we suck in today's world

I'd like to add my random thought or thoughts here real quick.

Thank God Colbert finally retired. Hall of Fame worthy career, (at some point) . Became complacent in the prime Roethlisberger years, with AB and Lev Bell. I won't go into defending my opinion, but it was horrible at the end.

If Khan and Weidel are as hungry as Colbert was in his "prove it" years, than we're going to be back in the playoffs, making runs and etc.

But drafting guys like Artie Burns, Kendrick Green as day one starters. Ignoring offensive lineman for as long as he did. Never being aggressive with draft day trades beyond Devon Bush play big roles in why we suck in today's world
Amen. And they need someone to tell Tomlin "stay in your lane"

• Haha
Reactions: TheFormula

I want to say hard pass on the B1G choices here. Especially the project from Iowa. No need to reach for a 2nd tier OT as well.

It's a deep class at CB so it seems kind of silly to take one at 17.

Agree with Darnell Washington given the concussion (and drops) history of Pat Freiermuth. PF as your #2 would be solid.

Didn't JJ Watt start out at Central Michigan??

JJ had P5 offers out of high school but they were to play DT. He wanted to play TE and Central Michigan offered him the opportunity. The whole "walk on" thing was solely because JJ had mismanaged his career in until that point.

A guy that couldn't start at Iowa? He's a high risk boom or bust guy, Steelers can't afford that.
I'm not sure I follow? The Steelers desperately need an infusion of high end talent- wouldn't taking a risk be a good idea?

I'm not sure I follow? The Steelers desperately need an infusion of high end talent- wouldn't taking a risk be a good idea?
Because they need players who can step in and play, not situational projects. You take early projects when you already have a strong roster, otherwise you take them later in the draft.

Just redid it.
1) Witherspoon. CB Sorry, if he is there, I am picking him unless someone unbelievable drops.
2a) Anton Harrison OT
2b) John Michael Schmitz C. There ya go, next 12 year starter at Center.
3) Jack Campbell ILB Iowa
I traded my 4th rd pick for 2 5'ths and 2 6ths which we had zero.
5a) Luke Schoonmaker TE Michigan
5b) Zacch Pickens DT South Carolina
6a) Jadon Haselwood WR Arkansas
6b) Cameron Mitchell CB Nortwestern
7a) Charlie Thomas LB Ga Tech (remember him he wrecked us!)
7b) Cory Durden DT NC State

Reactions: Drew1208
Trying to be fair, I might not even despise the quality of the pick (as long as every single other reasonable OL option, and every better CB option, is gone). But I’m nauseated just thinking of the hype for it. My fear is that there WILL be superior choices available at each position but Art will push to make them choose Porter for his fondness of PsU.

And I will concede I think the Steelers did similar when they chose Conner when they did. Sentimentality for the cancer story, more than the Pitt connection, though. I think it swayed them. I love JC, maybe in my top 5 of Pitt players, honestly probably wasn’t worthy of a pick that high.

I don’t think they did that with Pickett at all though. They wanted the best rated QB, he was there and he happened to be from Pitt. The town put a lot of hype on that, but there’s little Pitt love in that organization. It was business.

But it’s been clearly demonstrated time and again that they totally love PSU players, and will make reaches on them when the opp is there. Mostly to a fault (hopefully they were right on Friarmuth but we can all recite lists of other busts that they took bad chances on). Franco and Ham were literally lifetimes ago.

Frankly as a fan, I (mostly) turn off the Pitt / PSU filter on Sundays, and I only care about the Steelers winning, so it’s the ‘reach’ part of that which bothers me more than the, well, the other ‘noise’ continuously around them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT