ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers Mock Pre Combine.

Reading this thread, the only conclusion I can come to is that some of yinz watch a lot of college football. A lot.

• Haha
Reactions: Drew1208
Trying to be fair, I might not even despise the quality of the pick (as long as every single other reasonable OL option, and every better CB option, is gone). But I’m nauseated just thinking of the hype for it. My fear is that there WILL be superior choices available at each position but Art will push to make them choose Porter for his fondness of PsU.

And I will concede I think the Steelers did similar when they chose Conner when they did. Sentimentality for the cancer story, more than the Pitt connection, though. I think it swayed them. I love JC, maybe in my top 5 of Pitt players, honestly probably wasn’t worthy of a pick that high.

I don’t think they did that with Pickett at all though. They wanted the best rated QB, he was there and he happened to be from Pitt. The town put a lot of hype on that, but there’s little Pitt love in that organization. It was business.

But it’s been clearly demonstrated time and again that they totally love PSU players, and will make reaches on them when the opp is there. Mostly to a fault (hopefully they were right on Friarmuth but we can all recite lists of other busts that they took bad chances on). Franco and Ham were literally lifetimes ago.

Frankly as a fan, I (mostly) turn off the Pitt / PSU filter on Sundays, and I only care about the Steelers winning, so it’s the ‘reach’ part of that which bothers me more than the, well, the other ‘noise’ continuously around them.
Good summary. My "vomit" emoji was as you described; it represents the hype of what the press will write as they fawn over Porter.

I'm like you when it comes to separating college football from pro football. Of course I will cheer even harder for Pitt players on the Steelers' roster, but its ultimately the team I root for

A Cincinnati newspaper talked of Boyd potentially being a cap casualty due to Burrow and Higgins getting new deals. If that happened the Steelers need to be all over Tyler and the WR corps is set. No need to spend a pick on a guy with the Memphis kid essentially being your rookie wideout after his season on IR.

If he's available, Porter will be the pick in round one. A trade-down with the 32nd pick needs to be done in order to obtain more picks. Players fall every year, so maybe the staff really likes someone there. The Baylor nose tackle?

Last edited:
I never did one of those simulation things, so I did one just now and Paris Johnson went first overall.
Now I know why I never did one before.

I’m still trying to figure out why the Steelers would mock a pre combine. And, what a pre combine is.

A pre combine would be one of these things that hasn't been finished yet:

t670_r2c001198_tech_rrd_ml_2_large_6c51fa68662b21435dd2137ac5878bf7a677911d.jpg

Clearly if you are going to mock something like that you'd want to do it before it was finished, because if you waited until afterwards it might just run you down and harvest you.

A Cincinnati newspaper talked of Boyd potentially being a cap casualty due to Burrow and Higgins getting new deals. If that happened the Steelers need to be all over Tyler and the WR corps is set. No need to spend a pick on a guy with the Memphis kid essentially being your rookie wideout after his season on IR.
Make sense with Boyd. They will probably ask him to renegotiate his contract, first. He'll land somewhere.

If he's available, Porter will be the pick in round one. A trade-down with the 32nd pick needs to be done in order to obtain more picks. Players fall every year, so maybe the staff really likes someone there. The Baylor nose tackle?

The extra lucky thing about pick #32 is that bc the Dolphins lost their 1st for tampering with Brady, that pick is the first pick on the second day. So teams will have all night to look at their board, covet a guy, and trade up with the Steelers. We could probably pick up an extra 3rd just by trading back 5 picks.

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther
When I try the PFF mock draft, Broderick Jones is the T who is available at 17. Not a bad pick.

Also reading PIT might look to trade up with that 32nd pick since that player won’t have the fifth-year option as a second rounder. I hope that does not happen and a trade down occurs. I loath not having a pick in the 5th and 6th rounds also. I want that Miami tight end in round five.

When I try the PFF mock draft, Broderick Jones is the T who is available at 17. Not a bad pick.
He used to be always there. Now he's not as much.
Skronski is there more now lately when I pick.
I think Dawan Jones is going to skyrocket into the 1st rd.

I like most of the tackles and it seems u can't go too wrong here.

Could Smith-Njigba be a steal in this draft? Seems like he was widely thought to be a top 5ish pick before the injury; now, he's like a late first round afterthought. The 2021 consensus was that he was probably better than Olave and Wilson. So why not now? Google has his 40 time at 4.6, but I don't know when he ran that or how accurate it is.

And I get that people are more enamored with on-field performance at a certain point and don't really start to scrutinize things like size/speed... hand size... etc. until after a guy's final college season.

Could Smith-Njigba be a steal in this draft? Seems like he was widely thought to be a top 5ish pick before the injury; now, he's like a late first round afterthought. The 2021 consensus was that he was probably better than Olave and Wilson. So why not now? Google has his 40 time at 4.6, but I don't know when he ran that or how accurate it is.

And I get that people are more enamored with on-field performance at a certain point and don't really start to scrutinize things like size/speed... hand size... etc. until after a guy's final college season.

I don't think JSN will fall too far. He may not be a 1st rounder if he tests really poorly and negative information comes out about his medicals. Addison and Johnston will both run 4.4s (and Johnston might hit 4.3s) so I think they're locks. JSN doesn't have that but he is just a football player. Gets open, demands targets, breaks tackles. Get him in the right offense and he could have a 1,400 yard Kupp like season. I think he'd be awesome on the Chargers since Keenan Allen is old (and rumored to be a cut candidate) and Mike Williams is purely a boundary WR.

I think JSN will go 15-40. Could be a "steal" at 32 but I think people are just way off if they think he drops much further than the early 2nd.

I don't think JSN will fall too far. He may not be a 1st rounder if he tests really poorly and negative information comes out about his medicals. Addison and Johnston will both run 4.4s (and Johnston might hit 4.3s) so I think they're locks. JSN doesn't have that but he is just a football player. Gets open, demands targets, breaks tackles. Get him in the right offense and he could have a 1,400 yard Kupp like season. I think he'd be awesome on the Chargers since Keenan Allen is old (and rumored to be a cut candidate) and Mike Williams is purely a boundary WR.

I think JSN will go 15-40. Could be a "steal" at 32 but I think people are just way off if they think he drops much further than the early 2nd.

Oh I was talking more about him being a steal if we were to trade down to like 22 or something. Or for whomever does take him in the 20's, should he last that long. I definitely don't think he's falling out of the 1st round altogether. But he was a slam dunk top ten pick before he got injured, and I think it was just a hamstring... shouldn't be too serious (unless you're Duce Staley).

Oh I was talking more about him being a steal if we were to trade down to like 22 or something. I definitely don't think he's falling out of the 1st round altogether. But he was a slam dunk top ten pick before he got injured, and I think it was just a hamstring... shouldn't be too serious (unless you're Duce Staley).

Addison and JSN won't drop to the second round. Value wise, the Steelers R2(32) and R3(80) would = R1(22) and I think they could possible land JSN there, and then have an additional R2 (49) selection.

The CB picks are all over the place in mock draft. I've seen Devon Witherspoon mocked in the Top 5 and all the way to the bottom of the first round. Seems like a no brainer for the Steelers if he is there are #17. Same with the Oregon CB. Mocks are scattered.

Steelers need to try to address 4 positions in three rounds. Preferable, they would bring in an ILB or OT in free agency. Wagner from the Rams would be a good fit. That would allow them to address OT, CB and WR with the first three picks.

Addison and JSN won't drop to the second round. Value wise, the Steelers R2(32) and R3(80) would = R1(22) and I think they could possible land JSN there, and then have an additional R2 (49) selection.

The CB picks are all over the place in mock draft. I've seen Devon Witherspoon mocked in the Top 5 and all the way to the bottom of the first round. Seems like a no brainer for the Steelers if he is there are #17. Same with the Oregon CB. Mocks are scattered.

Steelers need to try to address 4 positions in three rounds. Preferable, they would bring in an ILB or OT in free agency. Wagner from the Rams would be a good fit. That would allow them to address OT, CB and WR with the first three picks.

Between the corners from Oregon, Illinois, Penn State, and Maryland and the tackles from Northwestern, Ohio State, Georgia, and Oklahoma... somebody at one of those two positions is going to be there at 17. I'm almost positive we're taking one of those 8 guys or a different guy at one of those two positions who test well at the combine.

It's gonna be the least sexy pick ever, because not only are the positions themselves unsexy but we'll also get the 3rd or 4th guy off the board at one of them.

I want one of these guys at 17:

Of course if guys way above drop.....but right now one of:

OT. Broderick Jones Georgia
OT-OG Peter Skronski Northwestern
OT Darnell Wright OT. Tennessee
OT Anton Harrison OT. Oklahoma

CB Devon Witherspoon Illinois (My top pick here)
CB Cameron Gonzalez Oregon

OLBDE. Lukas Van Ness Iowa. (Not a huge need, but a huge value here)

TE. Darnell Washington Georgia (Just one of this holy christ, I can't believe he is here Steelers picks)

So far...........................
i read that skronski has short arms. maybe too short for a tackle. i'll wait for the combine measurements before i get excited about him.

i read that skronski has short arms. maybe too short for a tackle. i'll wait for the combine measurements before i get excited about him.
That's the knock. But most say he still can play tackle but he might be best at guard. But he sounds like a big no doubter to me.
The intriguing guy is Dawand Jones.. he just measured the longest arms ever recorded at the senior bowl.
He's going to fly up the boards very soon

Reactions: pitt90seven
Witherspoon and Gonzalez should be the top two corners on the Steelers board. The tackle class has talent, but doesn't seem to have elite talent.

At 32, Flowers would be tough to pass and Downs should be under consideration with the other second rounder.

Witherspoon and Gonzalez should be the top two corners on the Steelers board. The tackle class has talent, but doesn't seem to have elite talent.

At 32, Flowers would be tough to pass and Downs should be under consideration with the other second rounder.

Yeah, feels like you can say that about a lot of positions in this class: Talent, but not really elite talent.

Kind of feels like the draft when we took Jarvis Jones, talent-wise. He was a bust, but so were a lot of the guys we could have taken instead.

At the end of the day, a good bit of this is luck. Hopefully we're due to nab some difference makers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT