Chancellor
Oct 9, 2004
He throws a really nice Deep Ball

Oh and Shelton is the Matt Canada of MLB managers

• Haha
Reactions: 303vND
He throws a really nice Deep Ball

Oh and Shelton is the Matt Canada of MLB managers
No one is worse than Matt Canada. Worst coach I’ve ever seen in any sport. Although there’s some guys on the olympic sports board who would probably say it’s some other guy from another sport who just got fired a few weeks ago.

And I’d have traded Holderman last week just to get him as far away from Pittsburgh as possible. Jay-broni!

And I’d have traded Holderman last week just to get him as far away from Pittsburgh as possible. Jay-broni!

It's kind of funny how people forget that literally earlier this season David Bednar went through a stretch where he sucked, and so did Aroldis Chapman.

It's almost as if almost all relievers go through tough spells. Who knew?

Well, I mean other than people who pay attention to baseball. Other than them, who knew?

Reactions: CCHS82
David Bednar from March 31 to April 17, 6 games, 5 innings, 9 earned runs, 16.20 era.

Chapman had a four game stretch from April 15 to April 25 where he pitched 2-2/3 innings and gave up 7 runs, 6 earned, 20.25 era. Included in that was the game that you might remember when he pitched to four batters and walked three of them, and the game against the Brewers when he came in with a one run lead and gave up a two run homer.

David Bednar from March 31 to April 17, 6 games, 5 innings, 9 earned runs, 16.20 era.

Chapman had a four game stretch from April 15 to April 25 where he pitched 2-2/3 innings and gave up 7 runs, 6 earned, 20.25 era. Included in that was the game that you might remember when he pitched to four batters and walked three of them, and the game against the Brewers when he came in with a one run lead and gave up a two run homer.
Bednar and Chapman have a track record of prolonged success - Holderman does not. That’s why he was traded here. He needs to get it together real quick or he may be looking at being way down the bullpen bench.

It's kind of funny how people forget that literally earlier this season David Bednar went through a stretch where he sucked, and so did Aroldis Chapman.

It's almost as if almost all relievers go through tough spells. Who knew?

Well, I mean other than people who pay attention to baseball. Other than them, who knew?
I’ve never been a fan of his. He has stretches of good play and yeah he’s a major leaguer with periods of success…but I’ve seen way too many high leverage situations and big moments when he doesn’t get it done. He reminds me of Guasi Zardes.

Perhaps I’m spoiled because of Tony Watson and Mark Melancon.

But I’ll say this…the blame should go to Shelty in that situation. He has a pitcher that is struggling majorly and he left him in to pitch to Peterson? He set him up to fail. Why the resistance to go to the lefty there? Makes no sense. None.

What I don't get is that we literally just acquired a lefty bullpen arm for those exact situations.

Now, Beeks did pitch a decent amount in the few games before yesterday. However, they brought him in the next inning. So clearly he wasn't unavailable.

Pederson also did hit Beeks hard the game before (a foul ball off the wall, followed by a foul into the river). But so what? Homerman has been getting rocked every outing lately. I'd have been okay with Beeks vs Pederson or even walking Pederson. But letting Homerman serve one up like that was baseball suicide.

I’ve never been a fan of his. He has stretches of good play and yeah he’s a major leaguer with periods of success…but I’ve seen way too many high leverage situations and big moments when he doesn’t get it done. He reminds me of Guasi Zardes.

Perhaps I’m spoiled because of Tony Watson and Mark Melancon.

But I’ll say this…the blame should go to Shelty in that situation. He has a pitcher that is struggling majorly and he left him in to pitch to Peterson? He set him up to fail. Why the resistance to go to the lefty there? Makes no sense. None.
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!

What I don't get is that we literally just acquired a lefty bullpen arm for those exact situations.

Now, Beeks did pitch a decent amount in the few games before yesterday. However, they brought him in the next inning. So clearly he wasn't unavailable.

Pederson also did hit Beeks hard the game before (a foul ball off the wall, followed by a foul into the river). But so what? Homerman has been getting rocked every outing lately. I'd have been okay with Beeks vs Pederson or even walking Pederson. But letting Homerman serve one up like that was baseball suicide.
Not to mention Chapman was an option too. I don’t get it. And if Chapman or Beeks come in to face one guy, is there a rule that says he can’t be trotted out in the 8th as well?

Not to mention Chapman was an option too. I don’t get it. And if Chapman or Beeks come in to face one guy, is there a rule that says he can’t be trotted out in the 8th as well?
I think so long as they face at least 3 batters is the rule , now

Yeah, that's what doesn't make any sense. If this were earlier in the year when Holderman was pitching well, then yeah, sure, leave him in there. But he's struggled lately, and he was struggling again yesterday. Get him out of there.

That would be one of the dumbest moves the Steelers have ever made!
Don’t worry - it’s all know nothing fan sites making all these claims .
That being said - I would like for them to add a high quality WR to pair with Pickens and all the Slot receivers we have .

That would be one of the dumbest moves the Steelers have ever made!

It feels like they need to do something, though. They're setting themselves up for failure if they go into the season with this wide receiving corps.

I keep hearing about how good Beanie Bishop (undrafted CB from WVU) looks in practice, but I can't help but wonder if it's just a matter of who he is going against.

It feels like they need to do something, though. They're setting themselves up for failure if they go into the season with this wide receiving corps.

I keep hearing about how good Beanie Bishop (undrafted CB from WVU) looks in practice, but I can't help but wonder if it's just a matter of who he is going against.
I think they are starting to get a bit desperate. For all this "Khan Artist" hype, outside of Andy Weidle's drafting, this team really hasn't done anything of note. I laugh when people say "The Steelers are doing things differently."...are they really? You get two quarterbacks off the rack of a resale store instead of the Goodwill and hoping one hits - with no future QB plan in sight. They sign a ILB who for under "his perceived" market value when no other team thought he was market value. So this talk about trading draft capital for a WR and then paying him upwards of $28MM to $33MM per is totally BS! I'll believe it when I see it.

I think they are starting to get a bit desperate. For all this "Khan Artist" hype, outside of Andy Weidle's drafting, this team really hasn't done anything of note. I laugh when people say "The Steelers are doing things differently."...are they really? You get two quarterbacks off the rack of a resale store instead of the Goodwill and hoping one hits - with no future QB plan in sight. They sign a ILB who for under "his perceived" market value when no other team thought he was market value. So this talk about trading draft capital for a WR and then paying him upwards of $28MM to $33MM per is totally BS! I'll believe it when I see it.
I mean -the draft is the most important change for the positive , so he gets credit for that as well.
You can’t pick and choose what the GM gets credit for .
He did a pretty masterful job of rebuilding the LBer group and OL depth in a short time- to be very honest .

I mean -the draft is the most important change for the positive , so he gets credit for that as well.
You can’t pick and choose what the GM gets credit for .
He did a pretty masterful job of rebuilding the LBer group and OL depth in a short time- to be very honest .
Is that Khan or Weidle?

No one is worse than Matt Canada. Worst coach I’ve ever seen in any sport. Although there’s some guys on the olympic sports board who would probably say it’s some other guy from another sport who just got fired a few weeks ago.

Frank Cignetti

Actually, what those people are showing you is that they aren't really all that smart.
To a far lesser extent - it’s why my boss is very happy that I joined in my
Role. Because my strengths and experience help
Make her department better .
My previous boss seemed to find those threatening - and now her team is substantially smaller and weaker as a result .

Will lose a WC game by 21 points with or without him but in one of those scenarios, they potentially get a lot weaker to do it.
I'll hold my opinion until I see the new offense and the run game .
This team seems to have a better Defense on paper than last year as well.

What many people believe frequently has nothing at all to do with the truth.
So are you saying that Tomlin is not intelligent/smart? Because the people that cover the team on a daily basis thinks otherwise - based on their reporting.

Tomlin is smart. We see everyday that smart people don’t always use the best judgement.
I agree - that's what I was driving to with regards to the thought that smart people always surround themselves with other smart people. That's not always the case.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
So are you saying that Tomlin is not intelligent/smart? Because the people that cover the team on a daily basis thinks otherwise - based on their reporting.

I don't know the man and have had no real interactions with him, so I do not know. It is certainly possible that he could be "football smart", meaning a good football coach, without actually being all that smart. But like I said, I don't know. And in any event, the notion that I ought to take the word of some of the simpletons that cover the team because they think it's true, well, that's hilarious.

But I guess if you want to say that he actually is really smart, but he stupidly refuses to surround himself with smart people because, what, he's too insecure in himself, well, I guess that's a take.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
I don't know the man and have had no real interactions with him, so I do not know. It is certainly possible that he could be "football smart", meaning a good football coach, without actually being all that smart. But like I said, I don't know. And in any event, the notion that I ought to take the word of some of the simpletons that cover the team because they think it's true, well, that's hilarious.

But I guess if you want to say that he actually is really smart, but he stupidly refuses to surround himself with smart people because, what, he's too insecure in himself, well, I guess that's a take.
So you're saying you can't determine how smart someone is but you can tell how much a simpleton people are...okay then.

So you're saying you can't determine how smart someone is but you can tell how much a simpleton people are...okay then.

I'm saying that people can be smart in their niche without being someone that people would consider smart overall. And that other people can, on a regular basis, say things that are so dumb that it's hard to imagine any circumstance that anyone would consider them smart.

You, on the other hand, appear to think that Mike Tomlin is really smart, and yet too insecure (or something) to hire other smart people to work with him.

I'm saying that people can be smart in their niche without being someone that people would consider smart overall. And that other people can, on a regular basis, say things that are so dumb that it's hard to imagine any circumstance that anyone would consider them smart.

You, on the other hand, appear to think that Mike Tomlin is really smart, and yet too insecure (or something) to hire other smart people to work with him.
Yeah...I think Mike Tomlin is intelligent - now your putting a wrapper around it by saying "really smart" - and if you can't determine that he's not smart, how can you determine that he's insecure...I'll wait.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT