ADVERTISEMENT

Success of the ACC Network

If I understand you correctly, you’re equating Comcast cable to an old shoe or old habit that I’m not ready to give up. But in a small way, that’s true. The Comcast interface, app, etc are all easy to use and I know that my kids and I can all login remotely and watch. But I was interested in YouTubeTV and could have easily see myself subscribing while I was trialing it, but the cost difference was nominal unless I switched to a wireless internet from T-Mobile or Verizon. And there is something interfering with the tower because my neighbors can get it but it’s unavailable to me. I think YouTubeTV + wireless internet was less than $100 (before add-ons) which is well worth the switch. I just am unable to do it.
Not sure how we're missing each other here--I'm literally talking about that photo you included of your dog possessing that shoe. My post has nothing to do with the cable vs. streaming topic.

I found the dog pic funny it funny my dog is the same way but his jam is socks and hair ties. He steals them and lords over them every chance he gets. I assume that pic you sent is actually your dog, and not some stock photo?

• Love
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Not sure how we're missing each other here--I'm literally talking about that photo you included of your dog possessing that shoe. My post has nothing to do with the cable vs. streaming topic.

I found the dog pic funny it funny my dog is the same way but his jam is socks and hair ties. He steals them and lords over them every chance he gets. I assume that pic you sent is actually your dog, and not some stock photo?
Haha. That’s my buddy. I lost him last October. He was the best athlete ever. If he was my child, he’d be my $30mil/year lottery ticket. He was a boxer/English bulldog (a newer breed call valley bulldog), and he was catching 40 yard post patterns until the day before he died. Riddled with cancer at 8 years old and we had no idea.

We got a new boxer now and anyone who knows boxers knows how hyper they are. But my old boxer/bulldog was awesome. It’s like the bulldog in him counteracted the boxer in him. Until you put the ball in your hand, when he then turned into Antonio Brown.

I have cable. It's just easier, even though I really only watch tv during football season. But it's $240/month. What is it without cable... $200/month now? Cutting the cord doesn't seem to produce the savings it once did.
Well - YouTubeTV is $72.99 a month so , seems pretty good savings to me
Plus no equipment and service fees .
Assuming your internet is separate from your cable bill.
I have Verizon vios 1 gig internet which is $79.99 total a month - which we’d have regardless for work .

SMF started a recruiting thread recently that when I saw it I thought to myself that 5 years ago it would have been an interesting thread. Now I can’t even bring myself to click into it. Not even out of curiosity. I have literally less interest in high school recruiting than I do the NBA…which is already at zero.

I get what you are saying because I pay almost no attention to recruiting other than what people post on this board but I made that post, not to say we need to get this local player but more of Pitt needing to use NIL to their advantage by using a completely different approach and that's selling a Year 2 payday that these kids cant get at a PSU or OSU or Mich because they wont play for a few years. So go to Pitt, ball out as a frosh and ask us for big money and if we dont give it to you, portal it up.

Reactions: USN_Panther
I watched the 5th anniversary show on ACCN last night. It was pretty good.

Prior to that I watched the end of the 2023 replay of Clemson at Miami. Watching that, I don't think Klubnik will ever be a good QB. And plenty of head scratching coaching decisions down the stretch of that game, on both sides. Miami was playing a freshman QB who looked pretty good. Of course they portaled over him, so who knows where he is or went. He would be an immediate upgrade if he went to Clemson.

Well - YouTubeTV is $72.99 a month so , seems pretty good savings to me
Plus no equipment and service fees .
Assuming your internet is separate from your cable bill.
I have Verizon vios 1 gig internet which is $79.99 total a month - which we’d have regardless for work .
How many remote viewers are you allowed with YouTube tv? It seems to me like it was a deciding factor for us when I was exploring.

YouTubeTV 72.99
Internet $80
Max $10
= $163+ tax total.

So negligible when compared to:

I think with Xfinity cable(with HBO Max) I was $189 total before i upgraded sports package for ESPNU and then added Pgh Sports Net, which has be around $210 now.

Yea, but cable is where the money is made. I dont think there is any "premium" fee that ESPN gets for YouTube TV/Sling/Hulu Live/Fubo subscribers in ACC markets like they do for cable.
Not sure what that has to do with the fact that West Coasters can get ACCN via sources other than cable.

Not sure what that has to do with the fact that West Coasters can get ACCN via sources other than cable.

They can but that isnt my point. If you want to watch Cal football, you have many options. But from the ACC's standpoint, the money is to be made from those Bay Area cable companies.

They can but that isnt my point. If you want to watch Cal football, you have many options. But from the ACC's standpoint, the money is to be made from those Bay Area cable companies.
Well umm had you actually typed in some words you would have seen that Comcast is available in the Bay Area and they offer ACC Network as part of the package.

Well umm had you actually typed in some words you would have seen that Comcast is available in the Bay Area and they offer ACC Network as part of the package.

The ACC Network is available on pretty much every cable provider. I'm telling you there is no way that that on August 1, Comcast started paying ESPN $1 per month per Bay Area subscriber just because Cal and Stanford joined. ESPN wont get that until their next Comcast contract is up.

Reactions: USN_Panther
The ACC Network is available on pretty much every cable provider. I'm telling you there is no way that that on August 1, Comcast started paying ESPN $1 per month per Bay Area subscriber just because Cal and Stanford joined. ESPN wont get that until their next Comcast contract is up.
Keep stumblin and bumblin.

While that is certainly theoretically possible, it is just a likely that the contract is written so that the higher fee is charged to in market customers and the lower fee is charged to out of market customers automatically. And the San Francisco subscribers are now in market.

Similarly, if Pitt we to get invited to the Big Ten and everyone agreed they could move next year, the ACC would not still get the higher fee from Pittsburgh area subscribers, because they would no longer be in market customers. People in Pittsburgh would not continue paying the higher in market fees until the next time the contract expires and is renegotiated.

In fact the only way that it is more likely to work the way that you think it does would be if the conferences, ESPN and the cable companies didn't anticipate there would be conference realignment when they made the deal. And the chances of that are, essentially, non-existent.

I’m pretty technologically deficient. I have StunnerTV, and run it through my Firestick. My programming was like $275 FOR THE YEAR. I have more programming than I can watch. Locals from all over the country, ACC Network, SportsNet Pittsburgh, movies and TV series on demand, PPV’s.
With a subscription, you also get nine connections. I gave some out to friends and family members.
People always tell me, “there’s no way that can be legal”. I tell them, “I don’t know and I don’t care. I just bought TV over the Internet”. I feel like what the cable companies have been doing to us for years is illegal, so screw them.
Google StunnerTV and look for yourself.

I’m pretty technologically deficient. I have StunnerTV, and run it through my Firestick. My programming was like $275 FOR THE YEAR. I have more programming than I can watch. Locals from all over the country, ACC Network, SportsNet Pittsburgh, movies and TV series on demand, PPV’s.
With a subscription, you also get nine connections. I gave some out to friends and family members.
People always tell me, “there’s no way that can be legal”. I tell them, “I don’t know and I don’t care. I just bought TV over the Internet”. I feel like what the cable companies have been doing to us for years is illegal, so screw them.
Damn bro. They are a pretty intense sounding company. Still not sure how it works even after reading all of their info.

Maybe they don't pay the fees for the content? But I don't check that for my IPTV provider. I leave that up to them. I never checked if Hulu or Netflix paid for the content either.
I need to use IPTV to watch as they region block the standard providers. So f em basically.

While that is certainly theoretically possible, it is just a likely that the contract is written so that the higher fee is charged to in market customers and the lower fee is charged to out of market customers automatically. And the San Francisco subscribers are now in market.

Similarly, if Pitt we to get invited to the Big Ten and everyone agreed they could move next year, the ACC would not still get the higher fee from Pittsburgh area subscribers, because they would no longer be in market customers. People in Pittsburgh would not continue paying the higher in market fees until the next time the contract expires and is renegotiated.

In fact the only way that it is more likely to work the way that you think it does would be if the conferences, ESPN and the cable companies didn't anticipate there would be conference realignment when they made the deal. And the chances of that are, essentially, non-existent.

That's possible but I dont think cable companies agree to pay in-market rates for any further expansion. I mean think about that. If that were the case, shouldnt the ACC add Fordham (NYC), Eastern Michigan (near Detroit), Rice (Houston), etc. You get what I'm saying.

Reactions: Houclone4
That's possible but I dont think cable companies agree to pay in-market rates for any further expansion. I mean think about that. If that were the case, shouldnt the ACC add Fordham (NYC), Eastern Michigan (near Detroit), Rice (Houston), etc. You get what I'm saying.

The contracts with the big cable companies, the national ones that matter like Comcast, are nationwide contracts that cover the whole country. Do you think that each individual local branch of the national entity is negotiating their own contract? Like Comcast in Pittsburgh is negotiating it's own deal, separate from Comcast in San Francisco or Comcast in Dallas or Comcast in Boston? Or that even the national company is negotiating different terms for every different system they own across the country?

The contracts with the big cable companies, the national ones that matter like Comcast, are nationwide contracts that cover the whole country. Do you think that each individual local branch of the national entity is negotiating their own contract? Like Comcast in Pittsburgh is negotiating it's own deal, separate from Comcast in San Francisco or Comcast in Dallas or Comcast in Boston? Or that even the national company is negotiating different terms for every different system they own across the country?

No I do not. And I dont think Comcast signed on to some ESPN language that mandates that Comcast pay them in-market rates any time they expand, no matter who it is. I would think when that contract was done a few years ago, the rates were listed and agreed to. For example, I dont think ESPN now gets in-market rates for Oklahoma since they will be on SECN now.

How many remote viewers are you allowed with YouTube tv? It seems to me like it was a deciding factor for us when I was exploring.

YouTubeTV 72.99
Internet $80
Max $10
= $163+ tax total.

I think with Xfinity cable(with HBO Max) I was $189 total before i upgraded sports package for ESPNU and then added Pgh Sports Net, which has be around $210 now.
I don’t think there is a limit . We only regularly use two TVs , and haven’t had any issues
I guess if you aren’t paying also for DVR and a modem .
But yeah $50 a month seems like a bug enough savings to me .

YouTubeTV 72.99
Internet $80
Max $10
= $163+ tax total.

I am not sure the answer about that. I have my daughter our log in once. She lives two hours from us. It worked for her for a while until she said she started getting warnings about this log in not being the location of base owner. But if we visit her and I log in there is no problem and no question. That being said I will log in with my iPad and it asks are you traveling. And then if i log in on her television it just works.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

YouTubeTV 72.99
Internet $80
Max $10
= $163+ tax total.

Your price seems high, even for cable. Do you have phone also? You might want to login to the website and see if there is something cheaper you can get into. Also, you need to factor in that you won't get PGH Sportsnet with YTTV. In additionNFL Red zone is another $11 per month. So you're down to about $20 savings. If you don't have all smart TVs, you'll need to buy a Fire stick or Roku to use a streaming service also.

With YTTV you can stream on 3 devices simultaneously.

Also, you can turn in any boxes you have and use your Xfinity service as a streaming service with a cloud based dvr and you'll probably be below what you'd pay for YTTV.

Last edited:
I am not sure the answer about that. I have my daughter our log in once. She lives two hours from us. It worked for her for a while until she said she started getting warnings about this log in not being the location of base owner. But if we visit her and I log in there is no problem and no question. That being said I will log in with my iPad and it asks are you traveling. And then if i log in on her television it just works.

If you start sharing your account with others not in your area, I am sure eventually they'll catch you. But I dont think there's a limit to how many devices you can use it on in your house or if 5 family members are all watching it on their phones in 5 different places in the Pgh area.

If you start sharing your account with others not in your area, I am sure eventually they'll catch you. But I dont think there's a limit to how many devices you can use it on in your house or if 5 family members are all watching it on their phones in 5 different places in the Pgh area.
It's only 3 simultaneously

Reactions: MorningCoffee13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT