ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Morning Musings

pitt82

Freshman
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2001
A coach's job is always to maximize the talent on his team, to get his team playing better as the season wears on and to try to overcome the many obstacles that a season brings. I think Duzz is doing just that:

1. Before we go crazy, let's understand that we've won two games in a row against Duke and UVA. Still you can see improvements everywhere. I'll start with the OL where once you've settled in on 5 players they are playing as a unit. Bookster's return has helped but what has helped too is the growth of the young center Morrissey who appears to really have improved.

2. Another area of improvement is the reduction in eye candy on the offense along with the decisiveness of Darrin Hall's running. Hall's in the last two weeks has shown patience, made the right cuts, and run with good pad level. On a lot of runs he's also not getting touched for 3 yards giving him the chance to break tackles.

3. One thing that drives me crazy is Weah constantly trying to bread basket catches. On the long post that DiNucci got hit late on if he goes up and high points that ball vs waiting for the ball to drop in his arm that DB has no chance to knock it away. He really needs to continue to learn how to use his hands and body better.

4. While the defensive line still isn't getting enough pressure they are playing much more physically at the point of attack. Without Camp and Hendrix and they still stuffed UVA on numerous runs including a great goal line stop. Number 40 made some really intelligent plays including one where he saw the RB going out on a flat pass and followed him. Smart

5. I watched a ton of football yesterday and when the refs recognize a PI pls tell me.

6. The Penn State game was a great game, and kudos to Ohio State for winning it but let's be real for the better part of the second half especially in the fourth quarter that Penn State OL got run over. And how does Urban Meyer not have an adequate kickoff team?

7. I'm really enjoying watching this team grow. Yes I know we are 4-5 yet we haven't played a chump schedule either. Really think we have a chance to take 2-3 I really do.

8. Q Henderson is the best returner in Pitt History. Period.

9. For all the criticisms the LB group has really come on. All three seem to playing much faster, flowing to the ball better and not hesitating and boy you saw a glimpse of what a big physical presence Chase Pine gives them on that goal line stand. If he can be disciplined he can be a great MLB with his size speed ratio.

10. Know what I liked? In front of sparse crowd, on a rainy glooming day, the Panthers on the sideline were into it. Lots of cheering for their teammates and a lot of enthusiasm. Part of that is coaching keeping those kids invested, part of that is youth but give them credit.

11. There are going to be jobs opening up at UF and Tenn for sure. UF coach has lost his team. I mean you can't tell me the UGA roster is that much better than UF's. I think Fuentes from VT is going to get an offer. Don't buy the James Franklin rumor to UT

12. Impressive win by ND. Thought NCST would stand up better but they got shut down and the ND offensive line was very impressive.

13. Look say what you will but DiNucci has also improved. For those folks that have complained about Watson's play calling you should at least recognize that he seems to have figured out his personnel, has worked on DiNucci's footwork and his pocket presence and has kept the offense ahead of the sticks.

14. This team could use this bye week to heal. All of a sudden your seeing some of the depth especially on defense. Motley and Jackson played very well and let's recognize that Hamlin and Whitehead gives this secondary much better closing speed.

15. And let's not forget that this team lost a starter at the DT and DE, their MLB and one of their WR for the year and the soul of that offense in Aston and still continues to improve.

16. It's nice to have a weekend where Pitt wins and PSU loses. Going to enjoy the bye week.

Pitt82

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.