ADVERTISEMENT

Article Sunday Notebook: Reid back to running, a sack attack, and more=

JimHammett

All P I T T !
Staff
Dec 4, 2012
Dynamic Desmond

In the history of Pitt football, the Panthers may have never had someone quite like Desmond Reid. On Saturday, Reid totaled 139 all-purpose yards: 120 on the ground and a 19-yard catch. Reid remains second in the nation in all-purpose yards, with 182.6 per game, trailing only Boise State’s Ashton Jeanty in that department.

Saturday marked Reid’s third 100-yard game this season. Last week, he went over 100 yards receiving against North Carolina. That’s the thing that makes him so different than any other player in Pitt history, however. He won ACC Wide Receiver of the Week honors last week, and after rushing for two scores, could be named the league’s top running back tomorrow.

Reid now has three games of 100 yards rushing, and two 100-yard receiving games this season. He’s one of the most electric players in college football, but wants it made clear what position he actually plays.

“Even though I won receiver of the week, I was like, ‘man, I’m a running back’ so I’m trying to run the ball,” he said.

Gutsy call

Pitt was looking like it was ready to go for it from its own 28-yard line at the very end of the first quarter. The clock struck zero, and even after the break between quarters, the Panthers seemed keen on going for it on a fourth and one. As Pitt lined up, Kade Bell had trips left, leaving the right side of the field pretty much unguarded. As we’ve seen this season, Reid really only needs a crack, and that’s all it took.

The Panthers’ speedy tailback broke loose for a 72-yard touchdown on fourth and one. A game altering play in many respects. Even though Pitt had time to think over the decision, Narduzzi said he never really doubted it.

“Those are calls you've got to make as a head coach. You guys yell at me if we don't get it, but we were 2 for 2. I think they were maybe 0 for 1.But our defense continues to be good on 4th down, and again, we tell our guys we're going to go for it on 4th when the time is right, and we've got a lot of faith in our offense converting.”

“I played like a freshman today”

MORE

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.