ADVERTISEMENT

Article Sunday notebook: Sharks feast, transfer TDs, and more

JimHammett

All P I T T !
Staff
Dec 4, 2012
Great Blue sharks

The 'Sharks' identity for the Pitt linebackers is starting to take on a life of its own. From the ‘Jaws’ theme music being played when they step on the field, to the student section being filled with shark signs and props, it’s been a cool little side story for this team.

But it’s also feeding off of what is happening on the field.

Pitt’s linebackers are ferocious, nasty, and basically won the game against Syracuse. Pitt had four linebackers record picks with Rasheem Biles, Kyle Louis, and Braylan Lovelace all taking turns running them back into the end zone, while Brandon George’s shoelace interception might have been the most impressive overall.

It wasn’t that they were just a factor in the passing game, but in all facets. Pitt was great against the run, and threw tons of pressure at quarterback Kyle McCord. When you total it up the six-man group of Biles, Louis, George, Lovelace, Jordan Bass, and Keye Thompson, accounted for 37 tackles, four interceptions, three touchdowns, two sacks, 4.5 TFLs.

Pretty dominant stuff.

Best in the country?

I posted a version of this stat a few weeks ago, but it still holds true. Pitt sophomore linebacker Kyle Louis is the only power-four defender with 60+ tackles, 3+ interceptions, 8+ TFLs, 3+ sacks this season. I guess now you can tack on a defensive touchdown to that list as well.

He is the only defensive player from the ACC, Big Ten, SEC, and Big 12 to be doing what he is doing.

Let’s stop beating around the bush here, because through eight weeks of the season he should be one of the 2-3 main candidates to win ACC Defensive Player of the Year. He should be an All-American and all-conference pick too. Louis is unique. He can blow up the run game, pick off passes like a safety, and hunt down the quarterback like a defensive end. His instincts are off the charts and I can’t recall many Pitt linebackers being able to play the way he can.

MORE:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.