ADVERTISEMENT

Sure was nice to have an accurate QB

doubleAA's

Freshman
Aug 26, 2005
last weekend.

We see examples all over college football, you are only as good as your QB. Hope our guy keeps that up. Not a believer yet, but went the the game Saturday, and was duly impressed. I will wait until after the Cincy game to say more other than on the sideline the kid looks like a leader as well. Had some Pickett in him for sure, which is the highest praise.

last weekend.

We see examples all over college football, you are only as good as your QB. Hope our guy keeps that up. Not a believer yet, but went the the game Saturday, and was duly impressed. I will wait until after the Cincy game to say more other than on the sideline the kid looks like a leader as well. Had some Pickett in him for sure, which is the highest praise.
Not only that but he was composed in the pocket and good pocket presence. He didnt panic when he got pressured and stepped up nicely to make some plays. KP didnt do that until his senior year. Gotta hope he's able to keep doing those things as the level of competition increases.

last weekend.

I am as big a Pickett fan as anyone else, but at this stage of his collegiate career, Eli Holstein is better. He has more raw talent, composure and accuracy than Kenny had. He managed the game, read coverages, had pocket presence and read coverages like Pickett later in his career. Of course, this is game 1 and a very different offense. We’ll see about consistency. I enjoyed the pace. Kade Bell so far is a godsend. Remains to be seen how defenses will adjust. Not easy to defend an offense like this…Narduzzi still can’t figure out how to defend an offense like this.

It was only one game, but Holstein looked composed in the pocket and the natural ability is clear. There is a lot of football left to be played and he has plenty of room to grow as a QB. Regardless, very encouraging first start and something to build on.

Reactions: pittbb80
Agree with all of you. For a redshirt freshman the dude looked a seasoned vet in full command of the offense. Pickett led Pitt to 2 ACC championship games and win 1. He has a lot to do to be considered one of the greats but his play was refreshing and I doubt he is gonna catch anyone be surprise now. They are game planning for him now. P4 game on deck Holstein has a chance to put Pitt back where it belongs in the ACC.

I am as big a Pickett fan as anyone else, but at this stage of his collegiate career, Eli Holstein is better. He has more raw talent, composure and accuracy than Kenny had. He managed the game, read coverages, had pocket presence and read coverages like Pickett later in his career. Of course, this is game 1 and a very different offense. We’ll see about consistency. I enjoyed the pace. Kade Bell so far is a godsend. Remains to be seen how defenses will adjust. Not easy to defend an offense like this…Narduzzi still can’t figure out how to defend an offense like this.
In his first start, Pickett beat #2 Miami. Holstein has played 1 game against a lesser opponent. Kind of strange to start with “at this stage of his collegiate career” considering Holstein came from Alabama and Pickett from hs.

Even though the game was against Kent State, his arm strength and accuracy were undeniable. If we can pair that with a solid running game, our offense should perform well this year.

Come on, it was one game against a bad opponent. Last year Jurkovec was extremely accurate in his debut, too, against Wofford completing 74% of his passes -- the arm strength and accuracy were undeniable. And we all know what happened in week 2 against Cincy and thereafter.

Reactions: kyfra
Come on, it was one game against a bad opponent. Last year Jurkovec was extremely accurate in his debut, too, against Wofford completing 74% of his passes -- the arm strength and accuracy were undeniable. And we all know what happened in week 2 against Cincy and thereafter.
Well.....we shall find out shortly, right?

I remember Jurkovec missing some easy throws against Wofford and not really completing many tough passes.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
last weekend.

True, outside of maybe 2 throws, everything he threw was catchable.

We had an accurate QB against Wofford last year as well, albeit one that couldn't even execute a spiral.

While everything is easy against a patsy like Kent Read, Kent Write, Kent State, I thought Holstein at least looked the part, he looks mechanically sound and appears to have a relatively strong, accurate arm. It's laughable when posters talk about a QB's pocket presence, going through progressions, etc. against a defense that puts no stress on the O at any level. That same nonsense was on the board after the Jurk's debut against Woeford last year. I have been around too long, as have most of you, to start heaping praise and hope on a new QB based on his performance against what is literally one of the worst teams in the entirety of D1 football. Let's at least give it the month of September before we enshrine Holstein in the Pantherlair HOF.

Reactions: doubleAA's

I meant Kenny as in he seemed to be tough and take the hits and pressure and still do very well.

I really dont think Eli could have played any better than that really except the really bad throw on the INT, but I am happy he did that, because that should be a huge learning experience.

Yeah 17-23 for 214 yards was incredibly impressive.

We had an accurate QB against Wofford last year as well, albeit one that couldn't even execute a spiral.

While everything is easy against a patsy like Kent Read, Kent Write, Kent State, I thought Holstein at least looked the part, he looks mechanically sound and appears to have a relatively strong, accurate arm. It's laughable when posters talk about a QB's pocket presence, going through progressions, etc. against a defense that puts no stress on the O at any level. That same nonsense was on the board after the Jurk's debut against Woeford last year. I have been around too long, as have most of you, to start heaping praise and hope on a new QB based on his performance against what is literally one of the worst teams in the entirety of D1 football. Let's at least give it the month of September before we enshrine Holstein in the Pantherlair HOF.
Who's enshrining him? He didnt face a ton of pressure but the few times he did he clearly showed a calmness in the pocket and the ability to step up in the pocket to avoid the rush and deliver an accurate pass (The Deep Pass to Johnson was one example). And there's no doubt he'll have far stiffer challenges against much better competition but for a kids very first game there are legitimate reasons to be optimistic. I know that's anathema for some of you.

Jerk never showed that ability. But yeah that 17-23 for 200 yard outing against Wofford was comparable. LOL

I remember Jurkovec missing some easy throws against Wofford and not really completing many tough passes.

Exactly right. He started shaky, and threw 3 short passes, hit the running back, hit Bart on the line and he ran 28 yards. Alot of dump offs all game. Kent actually brought pressure (which is scary for our oline). It is game one, but the offense is pretty intense, lots of receivers, lots of routes, lots of quick decisions needed. He looks like he will be ok doing it so far.

Who's enshrining him? He didnt face a ton of pressure but the few times he did he clearly showed a calmness in the pocket and the ability to step up in the pocket to avoid the rush and deliver an accurate pass (The Deep Pass to Johnson was one example). And there's no doubt he'll have far stiffer challenges against much better competition but for a kids very first game there are legitimate reasons to be optimistic. I know that's anathema for some of you.

Jerk never showed that ability. But yeah that 17-23 for 200 yard outing against Wofford was comparable. LOL
As I said in the part of my post that you chose to ignore, this guy passed the eyeball test in his first game, he looks like a QB. Jurk most certainly did not, yet still completed 75% of his throws. Because the oppoents were hapless and hugely overmatched at all positions. So analyzing the QBs performance in those games beyond the kind of ball he throws and how he places it on open receivers is like predicting the weather a week from now based on what it's like today.

As I said in the part of my post that you chose to ignore, this guy passed the eyeball test in his first game, he looks like a QB. Jurk most certainly did not, yet still completed 75% of his throws. Because the oppoents were hapless and hugely overmatched at all positions. So analyzing the QBs performance in those games beyond the kind of ball he throws and how he places it on open receivers is like predicting the weather a week from now based on what it's like today.

LOL Yeah he completed 75% of his throws for 200 yards. Moreover Jerk had zero pocket presence. He showed no ability to step up in the pocket to avoid pressure and make an accurate throw. Those intangibles can be observed even against bad competition.

Clearly against better competition the recievers wont be as open and he'll get smacked in the mouth a few times. How he responds in those instances will determine just how good he can be.

But getting back to the main point, its hard to find a Pitt QB who looked as composed and demonstrated not only the physical ability to play the position but also some of the intangibles required to be successful in his first start. Comparing his performance to Jerk (who was a seasoned vet) is laughable.

Wofford started 0-9 and finished 2-9. One of the worst FCS teams. Kent State isnt good but they'd go 7-4 or 6-5 in FCS.

The stats didn't back up his play. Jurkovec did not look particularly good in the opener. A QB with that much experience should've looked like Pro Bowler against a team like Wofford.

You can’t compare Holstein to Jurkovec. Jurkovec never had the ability to consistently throw a spiral. I think QB coaches thought they could be the one to fix that. He did handle a hurry-up offense for the first time and managed it well. Maybe we don’t have the talent around him to compete with the top teams, but he definitely shows solid accuracy and strength.

The stats didn't back up his play. Jurkovec did not look particularly good in the opener. A QB with that much experience should've looked like Pro Bowler against a team like Wofford.

I remember after that game thinking he was average and was a little concerned. I'm not going to say I thought he was going to go full-on Chuck Knoblauch (yips version) but there were warning signs in that game that he wasnt going to be good. In no way, did I or anyone think he went out there and played great. By the same token, I didn't think Holstein was great. He made a few bad throws but he looked much better vs Kent State than Phil looked vs Wofford.

Reactions: Burgh15
I am just excited we are going to have a TE in the passing game. We threw more to the tight ends Saturday than we seemed to all year last year or for the last 2-3 years for that matter.

Wofford started 0-9 and finished 2-9. One of the worst FCS teams. Kent State isnt good but they'd go 7-4 or 6-5 in FCS.

Of course I’m not comparing them at all. With minimal reading comprehension it’s pretty clear that I’m merely stating neither of them were tested in any meaningful way in their first Pitt starts against absolute trash opponents.

Evaluating “pocket presence” against a Wofford or Kent, which could not put any pressure on up front or cover anyone on the back end? That’s just funny. Pretty sure most of the posters throwing that term around don’t even know what it actually means. Posters—probably the same ones that are making them now—made those same kinds of statements now made them about Jurk after the Woeford game last year. Those comments did not age well.

Holstein looked a whole lot better than Jurk throwing the ball to open receivers and showed the ability to make a bunch of different throws and put some touch on them where it was called for. Beyond that I’ll just wait and see what he looks like against some actual P5 opponents before I start forming conclusions about his pocket presence and decision making.

Reactions: Upg bobcat
Not only is Kent not good, they are bottom 4-6 of all 130 D1 teams. Since you’re adding the variable that Wofford is worse than Kent, consider also that Holstein didn’t have to play in Cignasty’s POS offense. Jurk only threw the ball 23 times. Holstein had almost double the attempts.

Again, as has been proven tine and again, the prudent fan should withhold much judgment until the QB and his team face legitimate opponents.

Not only is Kent not good, they are bottom 4-6 of all 130 D1 teams. Since you’re adding the variable that Wofford is worse than Kent, consider also that Holstein didn’t have to play in Cignasty’s POS offense. Jurk only threw the ball 23 times. Holstein had almost double the attempts.

Again, as has been proven tine and again, the prudent fan should withhold much judgment until the QB and his team face legitimate opponents.
Is Cincy a legitimate opponent? I just want to know if Holstein can be judged during that game ... in your opinion. I don't want to even think about him if it is later deemed to be a waste of time by those who think they know better.

Is Cincy a legitimate opponent? I just want to know if Holstein can be judged during that game ... in your opinion. I don't want to even think about him if it is later deemed to be a waste of time by those who think they know better.

Not really. They were picked 14th in the 16 team Truck Stop League

Of course I’m not comparing them at all. With minimal reading comprehension it’s pretty clear that I’m merely stating neither of them were tested in any meaningful way in their first Pitt starts against absolute trash opponents.

Evaluating “pocket presence” against a Wofford or Kent, which could not put any pressure on up front or cover anyone on the back end? That’s just funny. Pretty sure most of the posters throwing that term around don’t even know what it actually means. Posters—probably the same ones that are making them now—made those same kinds of statements now made them about Jurk after the Woeford game last year. Those comments did not age well.

Holstein looked a whole lot better than Jurk throwing the ball to open receivers and showed the ability to make a bunch of different throws and put some touch on them where it was called for. Beyond that I’ll just wait and see what he looks like against some actual P5 opponents before I start forming conclusions about his pocket presence and decision making.

The way I’ve always looked at games against Kent State or Wofford or any kind of team that you win against just by getting off the bus is:

You can never take from the game that you have found an answer. The only thing you can take from the game is you don’t have an answer.

Meaning, if a unit dominates, you don’t know if that unit is going to be dominate or even good, against anybody else. It’s impossible to extrapolate that out of a game against Kent State. Just because you can do it against Kent State, doesn’t mean you can do it against anybody else.

But if a unit doesn’t dominate, you can probably say the unit isn’t going to be dominate. Because if you can’t do it against Kent State, you aren’t going to be able to do it to anybody.

Last year after Game 1 I thought the offense wasn’t going to be able to run the ball on anybody. Because the OL couldn’t get a push against that level of competition.

I don’t take anything positive from the Week 1 performance this week. But I also don’t take anything negative from it really.

Which is an improvement from 2023.

Last year after Game 1 I thought the offense wasn’t going to be able to run the ball on anybody. Because the OL couldn’t get a push against that level of competition.

I don’t take anything positive from the Week 1 performance this week. But I also don’t take anything negative from it really.
Right. The run defense last year looked incredible against Wofford. The run defense was disappointing against some of the P5 teams we played.

Not really. They were picked 14th in the 16 team Truck Stop League
They at least have P5 athletes and good coaches, so even if they are rebuilding a bit, they will still be a valid test. Not just for Holstein, but for the whole team.

Nah, I think we can expound more on his pocket presence and ability to check down his route tree and some other high level quarterbacking concepts that most of the posters that throw those terms around don't understand the first thing about. Maybe even throw a little in there about how well he runs the huddle, how he manipulates his cadence to unbalance the D, his ball placement and how well he throws guys open.

I do think we will know a lot more about what kind of QB he is at this very early stage of his career by October 1 than anyone including his coaches could know right now after playing an opponent that is significantly lesser than the scout team D he faced all week in practice. . You would disagree?

The way I’ve always looked at games against Kent State or Wofford or any kind of team that you win against just by getting off the bus is:

You can never take from the game that you have found an answer. The only thing you can take from the game is you don’t have an answer.

Meaning, if a unit dominates, you don’t know if that unit is going to be dominate or even good, against anybody else. It’s impossible to extrapolate that out of a game against Kent State. Just because you can do it against Kent State, doesn’t mean you can do it against anybody else.

But if a unit doesn’t dominate, you can probably say the unit isn’t going to be dominate. Because if you can’t do it against Kent State, you aren’t going to be able to do it to anybody.

Which is an improvement from 2023.
The only thing I took away from Wofford was that Jurk had to have an injured throwing hand or thumb because I assumed, wrongly, that the coaches couldn't possibly roll a QB out there with the throwing mechanics Jurk displayed in that game. Looked like he couldn't even grip the ball. Hard to play QB at the P5 level when the ball comes out of your hand the way it came out of his.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT