ADVERTISEMENT

Tailgating!

Sep 10, 2017
Hi everyone, Oklahoma State alum here! I was just wondering what the local tailgating/social scene is like before kickoff. We'll be flying into Pittsburgh Thursday night for the game. I took Friday off so we could do a little sightseeing; we've never been to Pittsburgh before. I checked out the stickied thread and would really like to see this Gothic Tower from the inside. Is it open to the public, or are there any tours or anything?

Anyways, my main reason for posting here is to get the low-down on the tailgating or social scene. I wasn't sure if there was much of a tailgating culture at Pitt or not. If not, are there any must-do pre-game festivities or traditions which revolve around food and/or alcohol? I've tried both and am a big fan! :D

Can't wait for the weekend! I'm super excited for this trip. Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone, Oklahoma State alum here! I was just wondering what the local tailgating/social scene is like before kickoff. We'll be flying into Pittsburgh Thursday night for the game. I took Friday off so we could do a little sightseeing; we've never been to Pittsburgh before. I checked out the stickied thread and would really like to see this Gothic Tower from the inside. Is it open to the public, or are there any tours or anything?

Anyways, my main reason for posting here is to get the low-down on the tailgating or social scene. I wasn't sure if there was much of a tailgating culture at Pitt or not. If not, are there any must-do pre-game festivities or traditions which revolve around food and/or alcohol? I've tried both and am a big fan! :D

Can't wait for the weekend! I'm super excited for this trip. Thanks in advance!

The gothic tower is called the Cathedral of Learning and you can't come to Pittsburgh and not go see it. It has to be the region's, not just the university's #1 landmark. The nationality rooms in it are awesome. You have to check those out. http://www.nationalityrooms.pitt.edu/content/touring-options-requesting-group-tours

If I were you, I'd spend Friday afternoon on campus at the Cathedral of Learning, Heinz Chapel, and maybe Soldiers & Sailors, Carnegie Museum, and/or Phipps Conservatory. There are Panther statues in front of the William Pitt Union and Petersen Events Center if you are looking for a photo op.

Also, the old Pirates stadium (where Pitt football also played until the 20s), Forbes Field, was torn down to expand the Pitt campus. Home plate still remains inside of Mevis Hall and the brick outfield wall where Mazeroski hit the walk-off WS winning HR to beat the Yankees still remains outside of it. Pretty cool. Actually, you probably should just book a campus tour.

https://oafa.pitt.edu/visit/tours/

Make sure you eat either The Original Hot Dog Shoppe. Dirty, dingy, but legendary. We call it the Dirty O. Order a small fry, trust me. Or Fuel and Fuddle or Uncle Sam's.

Reactions: RoguePanther
There will be tailgating in the stadium lots for sure, but won't be super crazy due to early kick off. Plenty of bar/restaurants to hit pregame if you want. Southern Tier Brewery, Rivertowne Brewery are two of my favs. Rivertowne uses No Wait.

It's too bad that it's not a later game, because there's some different things to see in Pittsburgh on Saturday mornings, such as our Strip District.

But in any case, I'm going to assume that you're aware that the stadium is not on Pitt's campus (which is located in the Oakland section of town. The stadium is across the river (on what's called The North Shore), across the river from downtown Pittsburgh. It's a healthy walk from downtown. But I wouldn't walk from the campus to the stadium.......

We're staying in an airbnb within walking distance of the stadium.

If you're within walking distance of the stadium, no need to park in an expensive lot to tailgate. If you're more adventurous, take a couple six packs with you and start walking through the parking lots around Heinz. You'll find tailgating. Strike up conversations with Pitt fans and maybe find some OK St fans, too. Alternatively, plenty of bars and restaurants nearby, some with outdoor patios. There will also likely be a pre-game party at Stage AE, the small ampitheatre next to Heinz Field.

For Friday or Saturday nights, plenty of places to hang out near the Stadium, or take a stroll into downtown. Also, Penn Brewery will be having Octoberfest this weekend and is walkable from the ballpark area.

What maxwell said above. No need to drive and buy a surface lot pass from a scalper. Throw a few beers in your pockets and walk down to the lots. Pitt fans are good and I'm sure there will be pokes around as well.

There are a host of bars in and around the baseball and football stadiums to grab something to eat and drink too. Same goes for after the game.

If you get a chance, shoot over to Station square and take the incline up to Mt. Washington. You can get some great pictures of the city, stadiums, and Pittsburgh area.

If you're into the bar scene, you might like Southside on Friday or Saturday night. Right down the road from Station Square.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT