ADVERTISEMENT

texas HS football on the chopping block

Honestly, I think the best plan is to cancel all schools for the year (online school is awful) and then start the 2021-22 school year for the grade you should have been in for 20-21. Everyone redshirts. This school year is going to suck. Online school, no sports. Just cancel it.

How is that going to work when so many kids overlap sports? A lot of officials overlap sports as well, and they are already on a shortage.
Good question. Shortened seasons. Jan/feb will be winter sports, mar/April Fall sports and may/June spring sports

Damn what are those drunken idiots gonna do now on Friday nights?!
Houston and Dallas are under extreme stress right now with Covid. Trump has ordered schools to open but not many paying attention. It all depends on about six more weeks. Won't be surprised to see school delayed and football cancelled. Living in Housotn.

Houston and Dallas are under extreme stress right now with Covid. Trump has ordered schools to open but not many paying attention. It all depends on about six more weeks. Won't be surprised to see school delayed and football cancelled. Living in Housotn.

My school district in PA just shared results of a survey they sent to all parents. 81% want in classroom education. No updated info on athletics.

My school district in PA just shared results of a survey they sent to all parents. 81% want in classroom education. No updated info on athletics.
The detailed specifics of that would be important. Do parents want their child with 25-29 other students in a classroom 5 days a week? Do parents want their child in a classroom 5 days a week as long as there are social distancing guidelines? Do parents want a hybrid model of in person and virtual learning?

The detailed specifics of that would be important. Do parents want their child with 25-29 other students in a classroom 5 days a week? Do parents want their child in a classroom 5 days a week as long as there are social distancing guidelines? Do parents want a hybrid model of in person and virtual learning?
Perhaps when school boards stop Meeting remotely -
For their own safety -we van start talking about actual hard work of keeping teachers and kids safe

It was a general question. There were also follow up questions. Here is the text on the responses. Survey was done ~3 weeks ago.

Preliminary Survey Results We had 2,960 parents respond to the survey balanced across all grade levels. Results include the following:
● Parents Traditional In-Person (81.41%)
● Parents Virtual (9.74%)
● Parents Not Sure (8.85%)
● Parents Willing to Provide Transportation (61%)

When asked if parents would reconsider traditional in-person instruction if a confirmed case occurred in the school, almost 63% said "no." When asked if parents would reconsider traditional in-person instruction if a confirmed case occurred in his/her child's classroom, 39% said "no." Approximately 54% of parent respondents indicated that they plan for their child(ren) to wear face coverings. In terms of summer activities, 85% of parent respondents indicated that they would permit their child to participate.

Our board restarted in person meetings last month.

I haven’t heard what the format would be. Just a rumor I heard out of Harrisburg.

I personally don't like a condensed schedule like that, particularly that the spring sports lose out again. Schools end late May or early June, so you're asking kids to put in an extra month into their summer to complete a regular season just one year after they had their seasons cancelled.

It was a general question. There were also follow up questions. Here is the text on the responses. Survey was done ~3 weeks ago.

Preliminary Survey Results We had 2,960 parents respond to the survey balanced across all grade levels. Results include the following:
● Parents Traditional In-Person (81.41%)
● Parents Virtual (9.74%)
● Parents Not Sure (8.85%)
● Parents Willing to Provide Transportation (61%)

When asked if parents would reconsider traditional in-person instruction if a confirmed case occurred in the school, almost 63% said "no." When asked if parents would reconsider traditional in-person instruction if a confirmed case occurred in his/her child's classroom, 39% said "no." Approximately 54% of parent respondents indicated that they plan for their child(ren) to wear face coverings. In terms of summer activities, 85% of parent respondents indicated that they would permit their child to participate.

Our board restarted in person meetings last month.

Our school district did something similar and it was like mid to high 80% return to in-class instruction. Listen, online education is atrocious, hideous, awful, insert any other words you want here. Young kids cant do that. The kids NEED to be in school. Period.

As for sports, I doubt there will be any in the fall. I think WPIAL football will be March, April, May. Baseball May, June July. Basketball - probably wont be played because its indoors and higher risk

I've seen similar results from schools in my area. Hybrid is probably the best way to go early on while we get a feel on how school looks until things get under control. But not only is cyber school not good, it absolutely robs schools of funds, thus going back on the taxpayers. Zero excuse why cyber schools should receive the type of tuition they do from school districts when it costs a fraction of what they receive.

With sports, the PIAA director seemed very confident tennis, golf, and cross country would be good to go and pretty confident with field hockey and soccer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT