ADVERTISEMENT

Thad Matta's health

Apr 26, 2012
I've read a number of comments about him that start with "If he's healthy..."

Well, he's not.

He had a botched back surgery in 2007 that left him with drop foot, a leg brace, a bad limp, and a terrible back. He can't take his shoes off. It got progressively worse over the years, to the point that he was fired at OSU because he couldn't do his job anymore. He never traveled anymore on recruiting trips, and opposing coaches were using it against him with recruits.

So, its not like he was sick, and now maybe he's better. The chances of him suddenly improving after almost 11 years of decline, are unfortunately slim. And I've seen nothing that suggests that he has improved at all, so I'll assume he's still a physical mess and unable to work, until I hear otherwise.

Reactions: Swervin27 and gary2
I thought I read somewhere he had a 2nd surgery recently that helped some of the original botched job.

If you've seen that, please find it and share the link. I've searched and not seen anything like that. I hope its true.
The recent articles on him interviewing at Ole Miss only note that he is interested in coaching again, but there is no mention of a new surgery or improved health.

Raleigh I have read so much on coaches and social media I have no clue. I will be the first to take your word over mine on this one. Coach fatigue already.

If what you say about his health being that bad is still the case I think pitt needs to look elsewhere.

Reactions: gary2
Perhaps ole miss sees this as a serious enough issue to end any and all conversations with Matta.

I hope he is healthy . His resume.....coupled with a desire to get back in is just what PITT needs.

If Pitt is considering him, I would hope they would do their due diligence in regards to his health.

Maybe he is healthy or maybe he is not.

None of the fans know one way or the other but I am sure Pitt will be able to look into that.

I live in Columbus, and I've written about this extensively here on the board. There is no evidence that Matta is healthy. And all of the articles written here in Columbus during and after his demise indicated that doctors said significant Improvement in his condition was unlikely given the length of time since his original surgery. I have no doubt that Matta now "feels" better. He's had a year off and has probably done some rehab and therapy, something that was likely impossible before given the rigors of D1 coaching. But feeling a bit better and no longer having a debilitating condition are two different things. The Pitt job, regardless of who takes it, will be grueling for the next few years. I think it would be an extraordinary mistake for the university to hire him.

Well, he's not.

He had a botched back surgery in 2007 that left him with drop foot, a leg brace, a bad limp, and a terrible back. He can't take his shoes off. It got progressively worse over the years, to the point that he was fired at OSU because he couldn't do his job anymore. He never traveled anymore on recruiting trips, and opposing coaches were using it against him with recruits.

So, its not like he was sick, and now maybe he's better. The chances of him suddenly improving after almost 11 years of decline, are unfortunately slim. And I've seen nothing that suggests that he has improved at all, so I'll assume he's still a physical mess and unable to work, until I hear otherwise.
That's all old news....

I live in Columbus, and I've written about this extensively here on the board. There is no evidence that Matta is healthy. And all of the articles written here in Columbus during and after his demise indicated that doctors said significant Improvement in his condition was unlikely given the length of time since his original surgery. I have no doubt that Matta now "feels" better. He's had a year off and has probably done some rehab and therapy, something that was likely impossible before given the rigors of D1 coaching. But feeling a bit better and no longer having a debilitating condition are two different things. The Pitt job, regardless of who takes it, will be grueling for the next few years. I think it would be an extraordinary mistake for the university to hire him.
Unless you've examined him, your opinion doesn't hold much credibility. Pitt won't hire Maata if he's physically unable to do the job. If they do hire him they will have satisfied themselves that his health has improved to the point he is capable of handling the rigors of coaching. End of story....no offense, but the views of his neighbors from Columbus on his health are completely meaningless. I doubt you will be consulted.

Reactions: balboa10
Unless you've examined him, your opinion doesn't hold much credibility. Pitt won't hire Maata if he's physically unable to do the job. If they do hire him they will have satisfied themselves that his health has improved to the point he is capable of handling the rigors of coaching. End of story....no offense, but the views of his neighbors from Columbus on his health are completely meaningless. I doubt you will be consulted.
I gotta say Del this post is in stark contrast to your typical stance on the track record and capabilities of Pitt admin getting things right. You’re that confident they’ll make the right decision or assessment regarding his health as it relates to his capabilities to fulfill his coaching duties?

With the rumored buyout I find it hard to believe that Pitt will also pony up the money necessary to get a proven assistant that could take a lot of the recruiting duties from Matta if the recruiting trail becomes too uncomfortable for him. Someone like Rob Lanier would set the Panthers back $400k. Others like Bino Ranson or Neill Berry would be in the $200-300k range.

Perhaps ole miss sees this as a serious enough issue to end any and all conversations with Matta.

I hope he is healthy . His resume.....coupled with a desire to get back in is just what PITT needs.
From what I've been reading Matta isn't interested in the ole miss job anymore. For what reasons I don't know, but everything I've seen said it was his sudden lack of interest and not the other way around.

Well, he's not.

Serious question. Do you have first hand knowledge of his condition?

I gotta say Del this post is in stark contrast to your typical stance on the track record and capabilities of Pitt admin getting things right. You’re that confident they’ll make the right decision or assessment regarding his health as it relates to his capabilities to fulfill his coaching duties?
I'm reacting to a guy who seems overly enthusiastic about bursting our bubble as regards Maata being a viable candidate...he's trying much too hard and he makes me suspicious. It may end up being a judgment by Pitt based in part as regards the other viable candidates and their credentials. Give me Cal and I will gladly forget about Maata.

Well, he's not.

Agreed

Well, he's not.

No worries...If he's dead, Lyke should hire him anyway... He'd still be an improvement over Stallings...

Last edited:
Reactions: ratking17
Don’t bet on Pitt not knowing if he is healthy. Just end the speculation and cross him off list immediately if not sooner. Move on, can’t afford to take a chance at this stage!!!!!

Reactions: gary2
I'm reacting to a guy who seems overly enthusiastic about bursting our bubble as regards Maata being a viable candidate...he's trying much too hard and he makes me suspicious. It may end up being a judgment by Pitt based in part as regards the other viable candidates and their credentials. Give me Cal and I will gladly forget about Maata.
Yeah I’ll take Cal as well. I’m a Pitt fan but also live in Ohio and unfortunately have the same reservations regarding Matta.

I think anyone over the age of 50 like me realizes that back problems can be chronic. Mine flare up from time to time and I can barely move. I read quite a bit about Matta's back problems, and they were extremely debilitating. If he would be interested in the job this would be a tough call. His resume is HOF and I'd hire him in a second. But if these problems start to surface again, and he can't recruit, we're stuck.

Other Big schools were telling recruits he was dying. Things went downhill for him because he couldn't recruit as well as he had.

I do trust Pitt to do their homework if he's an option.

Don’t bet on Pitt not knowing if he is healthy. Just end the speculation and cross him off list immediately if not sooner. Move on, can’t afford to take a chance at this stage!!!!!
His credentials are too good to just eliminate his candidacy because you're easily spooked

Reactions: balboa10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT