Thank God for Coach Bell

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
Overall all coaching poor.

OL needs to pass proect better.

Pass Rush needs to be better

Pass defense needs to be better

Disappointing performance despite the score.

• Haha
Reactions: Ski11585

Dang Gary.....it wasn't that bad bro....I get you but they put up 55 and easily could have had 14-21 more.

I thought it was a good performance where the score was actually tighter because of a few mistakes. Huge yardage and yard per play differential.

We got stopped on a 4th but they had a targeting call that led to 7.

We fumbled a punt.

We threw an INT in the end zone.

They had a 65 yard pass negated by a rare face mask called on the receiver.

So I thought it was pretty even.

1 game against a very bad team but I came away very impressed.

What was wrong with the coaching?

Did you not like starting Holstein?? Using Reid? What happened in the coaching blocks that was poor?

What was wrong with the coaching?

Did you not like starting Holstein?? Using Reid? What happened in the coaching blocks that was poor?
Giving up a TD pass on a post immediately after seeing the post wide open for a TD on the previous play

Not going for the FG prior to the targeting.

Fielding a punt in your own territory towards the end of the half up 21.

The play call that resulted in the interception at the end zone. Too risky.

Recognizing the limits of your opponent. Down and distance. Time and circumstance. Game day decisions.

You know, the kind of decisions Narduzzi has never been good with.

Last edited:

Hey @HOF Coach there’s got to be a meme to post in response to Gary’s unfortunate grouchiness?

Hey @HOF Coach there’s got to be a meme to post in response to Gary’s unfortunate grouchiness?
jQhCLkFQ2hRQuylnGm.webp

Giving up a TD pass on a post immediately after seeing the post wide open for a TD on the previous play

Recognizing the limits of your opponent. Down and distance. Time and circumstance. Game day decisions.

First off the second one is not a coaching decision. And the other two depends upon your POV. Many on this board have said Duzz plays not to lose and is too conservative. Against a team like Kent, I like the aggressive calls. You PLAY TO WIN THE GAME.

The last one is to general to comment on.

Thank God for HC that most mocked Narduzzi for hiring and then allowing yo hand pick his O staff. A hire he was mostly mocked for... Yes.

O’Brien took the wrong angle. If he didn’t, the ball get knocked down or there is no throw. Everyone else was covered.
It’s KENT! You go for it there.
Reid is the punt returner. He got dinged up with the helmet to helmet penalty, so Mumpfield stepped in.
He was open with no one behind him. The ball was thrown too flat. Any height on that ball and it was a TD.

other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?
My wife and I attended the Western Michigan loss after the big Tennessee win.

Narduzzi was still basking in the glow of a great, but fortunate, win. He did not address obvious problems.

I was very happy to see him have a different attitude coming off Kent

Score 55, first away and real opponent, rivalry game on the horizon. Team needs to be forced to focus.

I liked that in the first half we ran 51 plays but, to me it didn’t seem like the offense was pushing, just to play fast. I didn’t get a Todd Graham vibe from things. It did seem like Bell has a knack for play-calling. Of course, it was Kent State and they are not good but, it looked like Bell had a way to get people into positions to make plays.

On another note I thought too often that Eli was a bit lackadaisical with his passes. A bit too casual and that’s why too often our receivers were falling to the ground to catch short passes.

But, even with a lot to clean up it was fun to have what looked like a modern offense.

Reactions: gary2
We really can't take too much away from that game (either good or bad) given the level of competition. I will say that it was at least entertaining (which is way more then I could say about last year's team).

Reactions: gary2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT