ADVERTISEMENT

That’s it. That’s absolutely enough of the pat era.

After that series, Narduzzi and Whipple should be fired before they reach the dressing room. That was the most disgraceful 4 plays I have ever watched. That OL will never have any confidence in themselves now.
Short memory huh? Let’s not forget that absolute embarrassment from the 1 yard line at Va Tech in ‘17. Today was bad, not gonna argue with you on that. But we score a TD easily on that 2nd down play if Pickett hands it off instead of opting to keep it. It was a bad read on his part.

Touché, at least that was 2+ yards though. This was from a guy who went for it on 4th down in his own territory when he didn’t have to a few minutes before this. It seems like there is no continuity to these decisions he makes.

Regardless of the play calling, you gotta go for it. At least they’d only get the ball at the 1. Woulda helped field position on the last drive immensely.
Yeah I can almost see the rationale in kicking the FG there, but that would’ve been what made the decision IMO. You go for it and don’t get it, PSU is at the 1. I can’t really say that’s all that much worse than them getting the ball presumably around the 25 give or take and us being down 4 instead of 7.

Yeah I can almost see the rationale in kicking the FG there, but that would’ve been what made the decision IMO. You go for it and don’t get it, PSU is at the 1. I can’t really say that’s all that much worse than them getting the ball presumably around the 25 give or take and us being down 4 instead of 7.

I get it taking what should have been an easy 3 setting up a td for the win, but I think a pretty big road underdog has to take some chances to win. Rather go down swinging.

Short memory huh? Let’s not forget that absolute embarrassment from the 1 yard line at Va Tech in ‘17. Today was bad, not gonna argue with you on that. But we score a TD easily on that 2nd down play if Pickett hands it off instead of opting to keep it. It was a bad read on his part.

Spot on about the 2nd down play sir. I hate that Kenny had such a great game but made a critical mistake on 2nd down

Reactions: Pittx9
Spot on about the 2nd down play sir. I hate that Kenny had such a great game but made a critical mistake on 2nd down
Yeah I know what you mean. I was really upset with Pickett after the UVA game, and was losing hope he’d ever reach his full potential. But man was he great today. So much so even though he clearly did misread that, I had a hard time even typing that out.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
But there is NO TIME..........
Not completely true. They had one timeout and 159 on the clock when they got it back and I am pretty sure PSU got a first down after the fg but don't remember for sure. While I would have went for it I think pn reasoning was that with their inability to run it's a 50/50 proposition to get it and then they have all the momentum with a stop. I think he was obviously expecting to make the kick then get them in a three and out with around 3 minutes to go.

I get it taking what should have been an easy 3 setting up a td for the win, but I think a pretty big road underdog has to take some chances to win. Rather go down swinging.
That's exactly how I see it. First I just think going for it probably gives you your best shot but I can understand the FG it's not like there was 200 left on the clock

Reactions: TD_6082
That's exactly how I see it. First I just think going for it probably gives you your best shot but I can understand the FG it's not like there was 200 left on the clock

This. Whether people agree or disagree with the decision, there was logic behind it.

If you can't hammer it in from the 1 in three downs, how much confidence can you possibly have that you punch in in on 4th down?

The decision to kick it there doesn't really bother me. I find it more troubling that Pitt can't get a TD in the first 3 downs. ...Only 24 total rushing yards & not being able to kick a short FG are things I find a lot more troublesome.

You go for it because if you don’t make it you are still down only one score and your opponent is backed up on their own end zone. Even if you make the kick you still need a TD and now you are giving them a chance to start at their 25 or worse.

If that’s why he made the decision to kick there it’s even more of an indictment on Narduzzi. Embarrassing if true.

Look, it was a boneheaded call. But if my Offensive Coordinator has tried in his mind 3 good calls on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down and not succeeded against a very good defense, sometimes you go with what your OC thinks. That is why you hired him.

I would have overruled him myself, but it is not embarrassing to put your faith in your coordinator.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
This. Whether people agree or disagree with the decision, there was logic behind it.

If you can't hammer it in from the 1 in three downs, how much confidence can you possibly have that you punch in in on 4th down?

The decision to kick it there doesn't really bother me. I find it more troubling that Pitt can't get a TD in the first 3 downs. ...Only 24 total rushing yards & not being able to kick a short FG are things I find a lot more troublesome.

There’s no logic in it. It goes against every statistical probability.
You’re essentially arguing if you’ve stayed on 20 in BlackJack and lost three straight hands, you should hit the next time you have 20.

Yes, there was logic behind it. The logic of a loser.

Guys who do what we did on first and goal from inside the one while behind seven don't win games. Guys who call for punts on 4th and 2 from the opponents 38 don't win games. Guys who call for punts on 4th and 2 from the opponents 38 who allow the play clock to run all the way down to one and then call time out, only to come out after the time out and still punt not only don't win games, they are dumb.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT