ADVERTISEMENT

The 2017 Scholarship Board - Updated 5/30

Chris Peak

Lair Hall of Famer
Staff
Jun 19, 2004
Here's the latest update to the Scholarship Board:

https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/threads/the-2017-scholarship-board.112979/

We've removed Jeremiah Taleni, moved Damar Hamlin to safety and added two redshirt freshmen who have gone on scholarship: kicker Alex Kessman and offensive lineman Jimmy Morrissey.

Kessman went on scholarship prior to spring camp. Morrissey worked as the second-team center this spring and earned a lot of praise from the coaches. Pat Narduzzi even said at one point that Morrissey would probably get a scholarship sooner rather than later; from what I've been told, that "sooner" has come.

So as things stand right now, Pitt is sitting at 85 scholarships. My guess is they won't be at 85 by the time training camp arrives. I think the Zack Gilbert situation is still very much up in the air, and he could come off the books this summer if the doctors decide he can't play. I also think there could be one or two more instances of attrition. And they're going to need that attrition because they need a spot for Matt Flanagan, the tight end who is coming in from Rutgers as a graduate transfer.

So while the board currently says 85, I think things will shift a bit.

If there's room, they could give another walk-on or two a scholarship. Kessman and Morrissey were the priorities as two-deep players - Kessman will be the starting placekicker this year - but they could also look at a guy like Kellen McAlone, who has been a solid special teams contributor and has lettered each of the last two years.

As far as the roster itself, they've built some pretty solid depth at a lot of the offensive positions. Things seems to be set up well at quarterback, running back and wide receiver, and they have used the last two classes to rebuild the depth on the offensive line (eight freshmen and redshirt freshmen on the 2017 roster). There are still some gaping holes at tight end - aside from Flanagan, there are no juniors or seniors on the roster - but signing three in the 2017 class is a start for correcting that issue.

On defense, the line is pretty backloaded with youth: eight of the 18 linemen are freshmen and redshirt freshmen (not counting Gilbert). At linebacker and defensive back, the coaches have some solid numbers, but they need the players they recruited - freshmen, redshirt freshmen, sophomores, redshirt sophomores - to step up pretty soon.

For the 2018 class, I think the board can give you an idea of what the coaches want/need. Really, if you look down the list of sophomore-eligible players, those numbers at each position kind of lay it out: one quarterback, one running back, two (rather than three) receivers, one tight end, two each at DT, LB, CB and safety. Then you throw in 2 or 3 offensive linemen (depending on how they do with JUCOs) and two defensive ends, and you're coming in at under 20, so there's room to add at a couple spots.

https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/threads/the-2017-scholarship-board.112979/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News