ADVERTISEMENT

The 3-2-1 Column: 3 observations, 2 questions & 1 prediction on hoops

Good article. Speaking for myself, I will have a much longer leash with the next coach if it is someone like Matta. I know how fans can be impatient, but we have to be resigned to being patient. No way are we ditching another coach 2 years in. I suspect we won't need to though.

Good article. Speaking for myself, I will have a much longer leash with the next coach if it is someone like Matta. I know how fans can be impatient, but we have to be resigned to being patient. No way are we ditching another coach 2 years in. I suspect we won't need to though.

I think some people may have been able to exercise some more patience with Stallings had there been any promise of some good recruits. Next year isn’t knocking anyone’s socks off and I’m guessing 2019 wasn’t gonna be fire either. And Drew demolished the false narrative about how hard it is to recruit at Vandy in short order. Stallings probably does have a good basketball mind. I don’t think the other coaches were totally blowing smoke. I just think his recruiting chops are/were subpar.

So with that I think people will have some patience if there are signs that show it’s warranted. I didn’t see any reason to be optimistic or patient with Stallings.

Reactions: heybandguy
If the Stallings hire wasn’t handled so sleazy, I think he would have garnered a bit- just a bit - more patience. He unfortunately did nothing but sign a contract and then do nothing to earn additional patience.

Really good article. I think the recruiting angle is the biggest factor. There are multiple local recruits that are highly rated. Stallings should have been living in Hermitage to see Tschwibe and Austin. Yet he sent his assistants and not often . The new coach has got to be a recruiter.

Reactions: HOF Coach
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT