ADVERTISEMENT

The 3-2-1 Column: Offensive issues, playmaker questions, decommits and more

In this week’s 3-2-1 Column, we’re thinking about decommits, playoff stars, the lasting impact of a final game, playmakers and more.

https://pittsburgh.rivals.com/news/...issues-playmaker-questions-decommits-and-more
Couple of things--I think your numbers are off--I count 69 touches for Ffrenchy--30 receptions, 18 rushes, 20 kick returns, 1 punt return = 69 total touches. He had 1171 total all-purpose yards. That's 16.9 yards per touch--1 ypt more than Q in 2016. That's a negligible difference.

leaving aside returns for a moment and focusing on offensive production and touches from scrimmage (runs and receptions only):

2016 Q (Canada): 86 touches in 13 games
2017 Q (Watson): 53 touches in 12 games
2018 Ffrench: 48 touches in 13 games

So under Watson, the offense's most explosive playmakers in each season only got 3-4 touches from scrimmage per game. That's indefensible.

here's another telltale comparison with George Aston:

2016: 44 touches from scrimmage, 244 yards (5.5 ypg), 10 TDs
2018: 21 touches, 78 yards (3.7), 2 TDs.

One more just for fun-tight ends:

2016 Orndoff alone: 35 receptions, 579 yards (16.5 ypc), 5 TDs
2017 & 2018 TEs combined: 45 receptions, 415 yards, 2 Tds

Watson is an avowed "pro-style" guy. What kind of a pro style offense doesn't use the TE?

Canada was smart enough to try to exploit the unique skill sets of the players he had at his disposal. Watson has not shown any such flexibility or creativity. He tries to jam square pegs into round holes, and when they don't fit, they get cast aside. To say his work at Pit has lacked creativity and has been lackluster would be an understatement.

You're right, Chris, there is a lot of blame to go around for our offensive woes--but the biggest problem by far is the guy sitting up in the box. That is really not even arguable.

Couple of things--I think your numbers are off--I count 69 touches for Ffrenchy--30 receptions, 18 rushes, 20 kick returns, 1 punt return = 69 total touches. He had 1171 total all-purpose yards. That's 16.9 yards per touch--1 ypt more than Q in 2016. That's a negligible difference.

leaving aside returns for a moment and focusing on offensive production and touches from scrimmage (runs and receptions only):

2016 Q (Canada): 86 touches in 13 games
2017 Q (Watson): 53 touches in 12 games
2018 Ffrench: 48 touches in 13 games

So under Watson, the offense's most explosive playmakers in each season only got 3-4 touches from scrimmage per game. That's indefensible.

Good point about French & our explosive playmakers. I have said many times he needs the ball more. As good as Carter was with the ball Ffrench is better because besides speed he has power. He is put together & I don’t think ppl realize the kid is strong. Most don’t know but his best position in HS was RB. He had an amazing Sr year running the ball with an avg of 13 YPC. Just get the kid the ball on a consistent basis every game and he will make big plays all year.

Good point about French & our explosive playmakers. I have said many times he needs the ball more. As good as Carter was with the ball Ffrench is better because besides speed he has power. He is put together & I don’t think ppl realize the kid is strong. Most don’t know but his best position in HS was RB. He had an amazing Sr year running the ball with an avg of 13 YPC. Just get the kid the ball on a consistent basis every game and he will make big plays all year.
Carter was also never used much beyond that occasional jet sweep. Watson clearly never added plays to get the ball into the most explosive players. He has done a very poor job of diversifying the Pitt offense this past year IMO.

Reactions: Usuallyunusual
Carter was also never used much beyond that occasional jet sweep. Watson clearly never added plays to get the ball into the most explosive players. He has done a very poor job of diversifying the Pitt offense this past year IMO.

That’s really my problem with Watson thay badby pointed out. He makes no effort to create different ways to get the ball to guys like Ffrench and carter in space. They should be used out of the backfield, dump passes over the middle and even on the field at the same time

He so freaking vanilla. The best example is how aston was used under Canada vs Watson’s use of Aston

Man you guys are dead on. I kept waiting for some type of add-ons to the power run an jet sweep game. The reality is Watson has been coaching a really long time and he may not have any fresh ideas....which is why we need a young co-offensive coordinator to come in and help out if not take over in a year or two.

Man you guys are dead on. I kept waiting for some type of add-ons to the power run an jet sweep game. The reality is Watson has been coaching a really long time and he may not have any fresh ideas....which is why we need a young co-offensive coordinator to come in and help out if not take over in a year or two.
And by the way since the buck stops at the top why was Narduzzi not demanding that Watson get the ball more often into the hands of our playmakers Ffrench and Carter? I think it would be an understatement if I just said that Carter's freshman year was wasted because he was so underutilized.

Any OC worth his salt tries to get his best playmakers the ball in as many different ways as possible as often as possible. Pretty basic stuff.

And by the way since the buck stops at the top why was Narduzzi not demanding that Watson get the ball more often into the hands of our playmakers Ffrench and Carter? I think it would be an understatement if I just said that Carter's freshman year was wasted because he was so underutilized.
This is a good question. The HC is the CEO and it’s ultimately his responsibility to make sure the OC is doing his best to implement the vision the HC has for his offense. Narduzzi has been almost completely hands off with the offense since he took over.

If he likes what he’s seeing from Watson and the O, and if he thinks he can rely on a one dimensional power run game against every opponent, we aren’t going to get anywhere.

The hoard won’t be happy if they read this. You get screamed at for saying stuff like this.
Chris has street credit on here unlike you since you make the same tired arguments over and over again about how terrible recruiting is. Chris is able to see the both the good and the bad unlike you.

Lack of playmakers is not a problem. Successful OC's have used a handful of plays forever.
1. Power run off tackle.
2. Play action/deep ball
3. Slants/bubbles
4 Screens
5. Reverses/Sweeps.
Lastly, QB designed runs/Wildcat packages.

Ffrench, Shocky, Carter...not used in much variety over the year.....

So the same tired arguments that get made about how everything is just fine are okay? It’s funny what’s okay and what isn’t. Chris is very credible.

I’m glad you comprehend what I’ve said. Sorry it makes you mad, buddy.
No I'm good, not mad. I haven't seen anyone on here except for maybe Steel Curtain say things are all good. I am just saying guys like you lose credibility when all you discuss is the negativity.

Coach Duz had come out and said he wasn't in favor of the early signing day. I have to say I didn't understand that at the time, i thought it would help programs like ours by getting our commits officially signed earlier.

But coincidence or not, recruiting seems more difficult for Pitt, not easier, since it took effect. I'll admit I still don't know know why that would be, but appears to be so.

I guess I should have realized the blue bloods wouldn't allow any change to pass that wouldn't benefit them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT