ADVERTISEMENT

The Pac 12 finally has a TV deal, no joke

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001

Lots of CW games, which is interesting for ACC fans since they'll serve as parts of doubleheaders with the ACC. The CW mostly did primetime games last year but the Pac 2 is going to get a lot of CW Primetime:

6:30 games on CW
Aug 31 - Idaho State @ Oregon State
Sep 14 - Purdue @ Oregon State (8:30)
October 5 - Colorado State @ Oregon State
November 23 - Washington State @ Oregon State
November 30 - Wyoming @ Washington State

So maybe CW Primetime does half ACC, half Pac 2.

Lots of CW games, which is interesting for ACC fans since they'll serve as parts of doubleheaders with the ACC. The CW mostly did primetime games last year but the Pac 2 is going to get a lot of CW Primetime:

6:30 games on CW
Aug 31 - Idaho State @ Oregon State
Sep 14 - Purdue @ Oregon State (8:30)
October 5 - Colorado State @ Oregon State
November 23 - Washington State @ Oregon State
November 30 - Wyoming @ Washington State

So maybe CW Primetime does half ACC, half Pac 2.
Well, it’s a step up from the Pac 12 Network…

I think it’s a good landing spot. CW clearly wants in on sports and Oregon State and Washington State get to play on a station that reaches every household in America.

I think it’s a good landing spot. CW clearly wants in on sports and Oregon State and Washington State get to play on a station that reaches every household in America.

While most games for Utah, Arizona, and Arizona State will only stream-only available only by a paid subscription (ESPN+). I read an article the other day that ESPN+ is doing poorly so I wonder if ESPN might start moving more premium content there. Right now, its really just niche sports. I feel bad for West Virginians who cant watch their team due to internet not being available in most of the state.

I could see The CW merging its sports and entertainment shows with NewsNation’s reporting to create the fifth “major” network television channel that their execs have alluded to. Both are owned by Nextster so it makes sense on paper.

Reactions: 303vND
Has there been anyone word on what's going to happen with the PAC12 bowl tie-ins?
The Pac 12 bowl contracts run thru 2025, so the former Pac 12 teams are eligible to play in the Pac 12 affiliated bowl games. Logistically I’m not sure how that will work, though I’d guess Stanford/Cal wouldn’t be selected to play ACC teams and Colorado/Utah/ASU/Arizona to play Big 12 teams.

Why don't they just call it ''2 PAC''?

I mean this when I say that George Kliavkoff has to go down in American history as one of the worst executives of all time. The Pac 12 crumbling is 100% on him. Terrible decision not to raid the Big 12 when Texas and OU left and terrible decision not to accept ESPN's re-up offer a few years ago. What were they paying him for?

I mean this when I say that George Kliavkoff has to go down in American history as one of the worst executives of all time. The Pac 12 crumbling is 100% on him. Terrible decision not to raid the Big 12 when Texas and OU left and terrible decision not to accept ESPN's re-up offer a few years ago. What were they paying him for?
Not exactly a job well done :)

Not surprised though that they got a TV contract for these 2 teams, I mean UConn has a football TV contract with CBSSN

Larry Scott played a big role in the demise of the PAC 12 too.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Larry Scott played a big role in the demise of the PAC 12 too.
This. Regardless of what Kliavkoff was responsible for, the Pac-12 was doomed the moment Larry Scott decided to keep everything related to the Pac-12 Network in-house versus partnering with ESPN or FOX. They had tons of unnecessary production costs (which OSU and Wazzu are left with) and couldn’t get it distributed as widespread as the BTN, SECN, or ACCN.

And that’s not even dropping the ball on missing out on Oklahoma and Texas. Fun fact, did you the Pac-12 had the highest per-school revenue distribution as recently as 2010? Now, all they could fetch were a few millions from The CW…

You’re totally wrong on this one, when Kliavkoff took over the PAC was a ship that was pretty much almost completely sunk. If you read about the Larry Scott tenure the guy was at best incompetent, at worst an arch criminal. The demise of the PAC is almost solely on him.

You’re totally wrong on this one, when Kliavkoff took over the PAC was a ship that was pretty much almost completely sunk. If you read about the Larry Scott tenure the guy was at best incompetent, at worst an arch criminal. The demise of the PAC is almost solely on him.

Kliavkoff could have raided the B12 after Texas and OU left and decided those schools didnt bring enough value. And they dont. They are JUCOs nobody cares about. But he didnt understand that part of the game is killing the competition. He could have ended the Big 12. Jim Phillips could have done the same thing. They let the Big 12 live. The Big 12's greatest asset, ironically, was they have a bunch of teams that no one wants.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Kliavkoff could have raided the B12 after Texas and OU left and decided those schools didnt bring enough value. And they dont. They are JUCOs nobody cares about. But he didnt understand that part of the game is killing the competition. He could have ended the Big 12. Jim Phillips could have done the same thing. They let the Big 12 live. The Big 12's greatest asset, ironically, was they have a bunch of teams that no one wants.
Both of you can be correct. Larry Scott delivered the death blow but Kliavkoff nailed the coffin shut. If they had added, say, Kansas and TCU after the OU/UT departures, the Pac-12 takes the Big 12’s media deal and the Big 12 is the one that goes extinct.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT