ADVERTISEMENT

The Pirates might have lost by 2 TD's last night

im lowering the jolly roger and raising the white flag.. it's officially football season and it came a few weeks earlier than usual thanks to this back alley abortion-gone-wrong of a team.

Best management team in baseball, and best college sports administration in the business, both in the same town. Priceless (in that they both emphasize "price" that is "less" than their competitors will pay).

Best management team in baseball, and best college sports administration in the business, both in the same town. Priceless (in that they both emphasize "price" that is "less" than their competitors will pay).

They are both very good at investing just enough to keep fans showing up and buying tickets, while using the revenue to support other things.

The worst fundamental team in baseball by far are the Pirates.Who is to blame for this?I say the organization as a whole from Rookie ball to the Majors.We need total reorganization starting with Hurdle.His act is old to the players and the fans.Dan77 I played a lot of softball against some of your neighbors from Osterburg(Thomas Chevrolet) back in the day!

Normally...professional sports doesn't get my blood pressure up.

But I love baseball...the game I grew up with...and I love the pirates.

I truly would like to punch nutting in the face...

Normally...professional sports doesn't get my blood pressure up.

But I love baseball...the game I grew up with...and I love the pirates.

I truly would like to punch nutting in the face...
As a pirates fan as well, I never understood why there is a segment of the fan base that continues to defend nutting. For some reason they feel like being a fan means you have to have blinders on and you're not a fan if you actually want what's best for the team. I'd be willing to give hurdle another chance, Huntington more of a chance, just as long as nutting is gone! The nicasio move was the most damning truth at how much of a freakin' cheapskate that SOB is.

As a pirates fan as well, I never understood why there is a segment of the fan base that continues to defend nutting.

Yinzer paternalistic mind set. Same people who think it's blasphemy to call out the damn Rooneys when they do something stupid!

And I love the Rooneys in general, but if they're stupid they're stupid, they're not the freaking infallible Pope, in fact the Old Chief stumbled around like a drunk, unable to win for 40 years, hiring his drinking buddies to coach, before they got it together...lol

Last edited:
Last year was supposed to be the bridge year. What does that make this year?

The future is not very bright right now. Cutch is regressing. Catcher is a disaster although Diaz looks somewhat promising. Bell is decent at first base and perhaps Frazier at second. JOrdy is serviceable on a good team. Third base is a huge problem. Polonco is a mess, and Marte is a head case. What was once the best outfield in baseball has rapidly become a weakness. The bullpen other than Rivero is a mess they have NO Stopper as a starter.

Look for attempts to pull the rabbit out of the hat by signing retreads. They had their window a few years ago and Nutting was too cheap to spend the cash.

perhaps when season ticket sales tank next year, that will get their attention.

Where's the poster who was posting after every win and taunting the naysayers? Where? Where oh where?

Personally, I hope the Pirates lose every remaining game.
it wasn't me but I was the one that replied with my support and usually a cheap shot at Del too. Del wins this round but we will be back in the spring. you've won the battle but not the war..

Where's the poster who was posting after every win and taunting the naysayers? Where? Where oh where?

That's was why I posted this. Blows my mind how we were all so wrong in June. I've watched this train wreck my entire life so as far as history is concerned, this season is much more the status quo then anything that's happened in the last few years.

That's was why I posted this. Blows my mind how we were all so wrong in June. I've watched this train wreck my entire life so as far as history is concerned, this season is much more the status quo then anything that's happened in the last few years.
this person is sitting right next to all the people on this board that was stating that Jameson Taillon is now the ace of this pirate squad. In hiding.

"The waiver process -- if enacted -- is supposed to be a confidential process until it reaches conclusion," Pirates general manager Neal Huntington told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "If there is something to report at that time, it will be reported."

Now, Huntington was certainly ordered to make the move, assuming there's not some off-the-field issue going on. If the theory about pinching pennies is correct, it's a pathetic move by the Pirates. Sure, $600,000 is a lot of money, but that's chump change for a big league organization. If owner Bob Nutting is worried about $600,000, he shouldn't own a major league franchise. The optics look terrible -- both to the fans and to the players, who understand they play for a franchise more concerned about saving $600,000 than putting its most competitive product on the field."

An excerpt from Espn.com today. At least people outside of Pittsburgh what a crook Nutting is.

The Rooneys surely get too much adulation but the team at least has delivered champions and contenders... and that's why. It's why I plead for Pitt to field a winner because the university would also get deference.

The Pirates don't deserve such deference but the populace is very very very very very elderly and crotchety and perversely seem to like that they field a baseball team on the dirt cheap. And they get their plastic dolls and fireworks and "free" shirts every week, and there's probably new sriracha slaw for the Manny Sanguillen pulled pork sammie!

Like with the bumbling, cheap and oddly overly puritanical (for a lib arts school) Pitt admin, the only ones actively defending Pirates ownership at this point are sycophantic employees, family members, suffer from delusional sentimentality, or mentally challenged. And before anyone asks, I get pisssd about Pitt because our losing and retarded sideshow follies hurt the value of our degrees, and as for the Pirates, see what Pantera wrote ... Bucs were my first sports love as a kid and it simply blows that today's kids (but mostly myself) don't have competitive baseball to enjoy.

'79 was some of the best of times, the "City of Champions" times, Oakland was hoppin' on Football Saturday's. I really hope that Pitt can become a top 10 team again so that those of you too young to remember can get a taste of it. It really was great fun.

Yinzer paternalistic mind set. Same people who think it's blasphemy to call out the damn Rooneys when they do something stupid!

And I love the Rooneys in general, but if they're stupid they're stupid, they're not the freaking infallible Pope, in fact the Old Chief stumbled around like a drunk, unable to win for 40 years, hiring his drinking buddies to coach, before they got it together...lol

I can't believe the shitbag Nutting has middle income yinzers, more worried about his money and how it's spent than their own, wow!

And Pitt runs their football almost the same , let that sink in

Reactions: pittdan77
The Rooneys surely get too much adulation but the team at least has delivered champions and contenders... and that's why. It's why I plead for Pitt to field a winner because the university would also get deference.

The Pirates don't deserve such deference but the populace is very very very very very elderly and crotchety and perversely seem to like that they field a baseball team on the dirt cheap. And they get their plastic dolls and fireworks and "free" shirts every week, and there's probably new sriracha slaw for the Manny Sanguillen pulled pork sammie!

Like with the bumbling, cheap and oddly overly puritanical (for a lib arts school) Pitt admin, the only ones actively defending Pirates ownership at this point are sycophantic employees, family members, suffer from delusional sentimentality, or mentally challenged. And before anyone asks, I get pisssd about Pitt because our losing and retarded sideshow follies hurt the value of our degrees, and as for the Pirates, see what Pantera wrote ... Bucs were my first sports love as a kid and it simply blows that today's kids (but mostly myself) don't have competitive baseball to enjoy.

Pitt is much closer to the Pirates than the Steelers, don't really deserve the benefit of the doubt either. I hope Pitt figures it out one day , but been hoping for 35 years and still hoping

I can't believe the shitbag Nutting has middle income yinzers, more worried about his money and how it's spent than their own, wow!

And Pitt runs their football almost the same , let that sink in
yeah but pitt's frugal nature is justified, nutting's isn't. nutting makes Big 10 money and spends like a mt west program.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
But they'll be just fine if they win fifteen in a row.

We are trying to save money in arbitration by keeping all the players with bad stats and getting rid of them that have good stats. I mean, Nicasio, would certainly have made more money next year. True, we could have traded him a few weeks ago for good talent (like I recommended on this very board), but then we would only be displacing one of our key minor leagues. Plus we would have another top prospect that we would have to trade for a teams worse player, like getting Johnny Barbato for Frawley earlier in the year. You can only trade for so many pitchers that other teams want to get rid of (Hutchinson, Niece, Barbato)

They are both very good at investing just enough to keep fans showing up and buying tickets, while using the revenue to support other things.
The fans aren't showing-up as often this year. In the first 66 games (the latest stats that I could find), Pirates home attendance is down -276,302. This drop is second only to the KC Royals.

I think that the patience of Pirate fans has finally worn thin.

yeah but pitt's frugal nature is justified, nutting's isn't. nutting makes Big 10 money and spends like a mt west program.
How is it justified? It results in constant subpar results, no support, poor sales and donations, empty seats, and running a deficit. Continuously. It's insane to keep doing things half assed. Go spheres deep or drop out.

Baseball has the financial model that rewards teams, aka whores, willing to lose on purpose for profit. College sports doesn't. It punishes them.

How is it justified? It results in constant subpar results, no support, poor sales and donations, empty seats, and running a deficit. Continuously. It's insane to keep doing things half assed. Go spheres deep or drop out.

Baseball has the financial model that rewards teams, aka whores, willing to lose on purpose for profit. College sports doesn't. It punishes them.
cant spend money you don't have.. that's how. baseball teams are whores? Can you explain that comparison to me? Im not disagreeing, just think i'll enjoy this..

cant spend money you don't have.. that's how. baseball teams are whores? Can you explain that comparison to me? Im not disagreeing, just think i'll enjoy this..
Not hard (that's what she said). Nutting willingly takes it up the tail (well, his team does) for money from the other owners, in the form of payroll discrepancy kickbacks, which he gleefully pockets, because he's not forced to spend it on payroll like he should (because the other owners apparently like some wins to be sure things...aka, whores).

Pitt has money. It already subsidizes sports. Just a little though. Which is insane, because as i proved above, it only ensures continuous failure and perpetual need to keep subsidizing it. So either seriously prime the pump, with a major (but short term) infusion, or give it up totally and revert to club sports (which is more appropriate for university sports anyway, right?).

The slow death by a thousand little pricks (watch the snide jokes, Chris is watching) is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Serious question...who here remembers watching the last playoff series the Pirates won?
Me. I was there for Game 5 of the 1979 World Series and for Game 3 of the NLCS that year. Everyone it seemed ran on the field after we won the pennant. Cold days, both. But happy memories. I never dreamed that 1979 was The End.

And here is what makes it even worse, in my view.

For me.....The Bucs dont have to win the WS. They dont even have to get there. For me....just be in the hunt in September. Meaningful baseball.....I want to go to bed at night checking the out of town scores and see who is on the mound the next day.....who is in the lineup......who do the Cubs have this weekend? Are the cards at home or away? I want to be at PNC in September.....not sitting at home watching MLB network reporting from important games around the league.

If Nutting would make just a small push to be in the chase coming down the stretch i'm satisfied. Its the absolute best time of year to be a sports fan and this Jagov wont make it happen for Pirates fans like me....and so many of you.

Up until a week ago, I would watch the BUC'S. I, like most here, am a Pittsburger thru and thru. However one can only take so much disillusionment. The man, Nutting, has to recognize the futility of his current roster situation. What lies ahead is anybody's guess. That alone should make for interesting off season discussion.

No they won't. No. Over. Time to rebuild.
Or...finish last for 20 more years. Accrue so many #1 draft choices (perhaps actually drafting good players with those choices occasionally instead of unworthy ones they are willing to actually sign because they have bad agents) that by 2037 they might... might...randomly have enough un-awful players to possibly compete for a wild card spot again. Hopefully by then the taxpayers haven't been swindled into giving them another even better ball park...

Pirates errr Pitt let Canada go over money , don't think different , so like I said , both run their team the same , cheap as possible with avg results

Last edited:
Last year was supposed to be the bridge year. What does that make this year?

The future is not very bright right now. Cutch is regressing. Catcher is a disaster although Diaz looks somewhat promising. Bell is decent at first base and perhaps Frazier at second. JOrdy is serviceable on a good team. Third base is a huge problem. Polonco is a mess, and Marte is a head case. What was once the best outfield in baseball has rapidly become a weakness. The bullpen other than Rivero is a mess they have NO Stopper as a starter.

Look for attempts to pull the rabbit out of the hat by signing retreads. They had their window a few years ago and Nutting was too cheap to spend the cash.

perhaps when season ticket sales tank next year, that will get their attention.
Where are the stat guy self announced geniuses, with their Tomato Cans and Bushers they loved....rather their stats loved them.

The bridge year turned into the bridge to nowhere year.

Wait till you see the team of low priced shamoches Nutting fields next year after he runs the new numbers.

Maybe the stat guy geniuses will be back after a year off rest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT