ADVERTISEMENT

The Prime Effect

Las Panteras

All Conference
May 11, 2014
Colorado spring game a sellout

Season tickets are also gone.

No dog in this, just fascinating to see.

Colorado spring game a sellout

Season tickets are also gone.

No dog in this, just fascinating to see.
That’s unbelievable. I wonder if he was hired at Pitt this year if it would be the same with the spring game or season tickets or even close?

It will be interesting to see how much losing affects coach prime's luster. Is he more than a self promoting marketer and can he actually win? Will be fascinating to watch. I am not sold on the hype machine but taking the Colorado job should tell us if he truly has the goods.

My theory on Deion’s coaching philosophy is, “The Jimmys and the Joes are more important than the Xs and the Os”.

If he can get a team full of guys who have the ability he did, he will be fine.

I think that’s an unlikely scenario.

Reactions: UP_WarStreets21
Good question. I would say the lower bowl would be sold out for the Spring Game.
Unlikely. I don't see Prime's act as working in Pittsburgh, and we've already had a lot of (relative) success, so the fanbase isn't starving. Boulder is also not a big place; it's a quintessential college town in a lot of ways.

The whole big-time spring game is a huge recruiting lure, though, particularly with the big ones all getting televised. Not having that sort of thing hurts us.

It will be interesting to see how much losing affects coach prime's luster. Is he more than a self promoting marketer and can he actually win? Will be fascinating to watch. I am not sold on the hype machine but taking the Colorado job should tell us if he truly has the goods.

He took over like the worst team in all of college football. The analytics had them worse than even the worse G5 teams.

As long as he continues to kill it on the recruiting trail, he will get a few years of losing. And losing probably isn’t going to hurt him on the trail, at least for a few years.

That’s unbelievable. I wonder if he was hired at Pitt this year if it would be the same with the spring game or season tickets or even close?
The hiring of a well known HOF athlete is obviously going to make a significant impact on recruiting and signing players out of the portal. These are young kids who know what Deion Sanders did as an athlete. Of course they are going to want to play for the guy.
With that, ticket sales will certainly increase as well as excitement over the future of the program.
If he would have come to Pitt, would that same thing have happened here? Absolutely it would have. Same thing would happen if an Pitt superstar like a Dan Marino were to be announced as Pitt's new coach.
Let's see just how good he does at this new level of coaching football. I'm willing to bet that it will not be as successful as what a lot of talking heads are saying.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Let's see just how good he does at this new level of coaching football. I'm willing to bet that it will not be as successful as what a lot of talking heads are saying.

I will respectfully go the other way and predict he kills it.

The guy is connected everywhere. He will assemble a five star coaching staff.

And he is smart enough to let them coach.

That, coupled with his ability to sell and the annual over /under for CU will be 9.5 wins

My theory on Deion’s coaching philosophy is, “The Jimmys and the Joes are more important than the Xs and the Os”.

If he can get a team full of guys who have the ability he did, he will be fine.

I think that’s an unlikely scenario.
So all he needs at Colorado is a team loaded with future NFL HOFers at each position to have a shot at “being fine”?

I guess he’s screwed then.

Reactions: csh2088
I just can't stand the guy. I would love to see Colorado competitive again, though.

I just can't stand the guy. I would love to see Colorado competitive again, though.
At least they're relevant and interesting again. That won't last long if they don't win though.

Colorado was a long dead program and Deion is a modern day PT Barnum who knows what matters most is putting asses in the seats. He was exactly what they needed, they could not have hired better.

in 2024, he'll be competing in a pac 10 without usc.. so one year to figure it out and well after that, it's a pretty watered down conference. an average team gets you 6 in-conference wins..

They'll be in the Big 12 any day now, it looks like. Although, no idea when they would actually play a Big 12 schedule.

in 2024, he'll be competing in a pac 10 without usc.. so one year to figure it out and well after that, it's a pretty watered down conference. an average team gets you 6 in-conference wins..
Plus he'll be able to snag some SoCal recruits who have no desire to play road games in State College, Bloomington, New Brunswick and so on.

They'll be in the Big 12 any day now, it looks like. Although, no idea when they would actually play a Big 12 schedule.

According to WVU fans, yes.

Dont pay attention to what the Colorado AD said Saturday:

DiStefano said “there’s a very good possibility” the next deal will bring in per-school revenues ranking third among the Power 5 conferences, ahead of the Big 12 and Atlantic Coast conferences.

According to WVU fans, yes.

Dont pay attention to what the Colorado AD said Saturday:

DiStefano said “there’s a very good possibility” the next deal will bring in per-school revenues ranking third among the Power 5 conferences, ahead of the Big 12 and Atlantic Coast conferences.
Lots of other smoke about this. It seems inevitable at this point.

Lots of other smoke about this. It seems inevitable at this point.

From WVU fans, Oklahoma State fans, and Baylor fans. That's where your smoke is coming from. The "new Big East" of WVU, Cincy, UCF, Iowa State, the Kansas's, OK St, and 4 Texas teams no one cares about is simply not more valuable than a league with Oregon, Washington, Colorado, the Arizona's, etc.

Remember before Pitt and Syr left the Big East, there was talk about the Big East adding Big 12 leftovers Kansas, Kst, Iowa State, etc? And we all thought that was a doomsday. Well that is what the new Big 12 is. Its an alt-Big East.

I'm about the same way. I'm not a Deion fan, but do like it when Colorado is a good team. I'm also curious to see how he's going to do at a school like Colorado.

Reactions: Dan1911
From WVU fans, Oklahoma State fans, and Baylor fans. That's where your smoke is coming from. The "new Big East" of WVU, Cincy, UCF, Iowa State, the Kansas's, OK St, and 4 Texas teams no one cares about is simply not more valuable than a league with Oregon, Washington, Colorado, the Arizona's, etc.

Remember before Pitt and Syr left the Big East, there was talk about the Big East adding Big 12 leftovers Kansas, Kst, Iowa State, etc? And we all thought that was a doomsday. Well that is what the new Big 12 is. Its an alt-Big East.
Ok, dude. Relax and let it play out. We will see.

Ok, dude.

Lets see you rank them. If you have the networks rank most valuable programs for TV, it would be:

1. Oregon
2. Washington (Seattle)
3. Colorado (Denver)
4. Arizona or Arizona State
5. Arizona or Arizona State
6. Oklahoma State
7. Utah (Salt Lake City)
8. Houston (great market but #3 team there behind A&M and Texas)
9. San Diego State (assuming P12 invite, great market but #3 team)
10. Texas Tech (terrible market but decent statewide following)
11. TCU (great market but #4 team behind Texas, A&M, and OU)
12. UCF (good market but #3 team)
13. Cal or Stanford (fantastic market but nobody watches college football)
14. Baylor (Waco market isnt great and #3 or #4 team there)
15. Cincinnati (market is just ok and #2 team with Kentucky being a very close #3)
16. Kansas or Kansas State (no one in KC cares about their football teams)
17. WVU
18. Iowa State
19. Oregon State
20. Washington State

Whether you like him or not, he has people around who are very savvy with social media, connecting with todays player. The guy can chase players away and he will fill spots quickly. New coaches always chase away players taking up a roster spot who don’t fit the system or meet the expectations. The guy is smart and knows how to build a brand. I’ve watched his videos on YouTube. He gets it with marketing and building hype that connects with top level players. Lots of people will be watching that program. He just has to win a few games and look promising this fall. If he can get a competitive fall together, I bet Colorado will be top 25 in 3 years or less. He might do it in 2024.

There's no doubt that Sanders know how to use modern media to his advantage. There's no doubt that he can connect with kids. What he needs to show is whether or not he has the savvy to identify the proper kids to connect with and recruit, and whether he can actually coach at this level. I'm not saying he can't, but until he does it, it remains a question mark.

My admittedly unschooled opinion about recruiting is that the 5-stars are going to be mostly pretty good, and the 3-stars are going to be mostly pretty average. (Of course there are exceptions in both groups.) The programs that kill it are the ones that get the proper 4-stars as their core, that meet or exceed expectations. Let's see if Sanders can figure that out. He apparently will be able to attract a lot of players, but let's see if he is a true talent evaluator.

he's not going to have enough players to field a team in the fall. He can "Connect" with kids? Why did his whole roster go in the portal in the last 3 days.

he's not going to have enough players to field a team in the fall. He can "Connect" with kids? Why did his whole roster go in the portal in the last 3 days.

I wouldn't worry about next year. They will be in the Rose Bowl within 4 years. Bookmark this thread.

Only because at the slightest hint of success, some bonehead school is going to do something stupid and throw a massive wad of cash at him. Somewhere like Arkansas or Miami.
i actually wanted him in acc at fsu. norvell was on his last legs then they went on a hot streak last year and all of a sudden people think he's not a terrible coach...

i actually wanted him in acc at fsu. norvell was on his last legs then they went on a hot streak last year and all of a sudden people think he's not a terrible coach...

Yea I thought he was a guarantee at FSU. How did GT not throw money at him? He played in ATL and you'd think he'd be a fit there. Is GT even trying at anything?

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Maybe they did and Prime was smart enough to realize GT is a horrible job.
people say there is so much talent there which i agree but that "Talent" wants to go to Georgia and probably 5 other SEC schools before going to ga tech..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT