ADVERTISEMENT

The reason why the ACC has always had TV revenue problems

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Yes, more people watch the SEC and Big Ten but not so many more that it should warrant the disparity it does. It all goes back to the early 2000s when the ACC made the decision to accept ESPN's re-up offer instead of going to the open market. They thought the ESPN money was good and they liked that ESPN was letting them let Raycom live. However, about a year or 2 later, the Pac 12 went to market and blew it away and people were like "what just happened?" TV money began to skyrocket. The ACC did the only thing they could do. They added 2 teams to get more money out of ESPN but not much more. Then, they added ND to get a little more. Then, they added ACCN to get a little more. But in getting these extra little bits of money instead of being patient and waiting to go to market, they've tied themselves up to 2036 and are stuck in a TV deal worth about $20 million per year compared to the Big Ten's $100 million.

Part of it is poor leadership, part of it was just bad luck but the ACC has had a string of losing streaks on the TV thing. The money is so disparate right now and there are many coveted teams and markets in the ACC, that if you're asking me to make a prediction, I'm going to say that eventually, 8 members vote to dissolve the league so they can go to the Big Ten or SEC without being hampered by a Grant of Rights. From ESPN's standpoint, they'd love the league to live because they're getting bargain basement programming but at this point, I dont see how that happens unless the dissolution is harder than just the majortity vote that seems to be required

Yes, more people watch the SEC and Big Ten but not so many more that it should warrant the disparity it does.
This is comical. The Big Ten and SEC have something like 16 of the top 18 ranked schools in tv viewership (including Texas and Oklahoma in the SEC). Only Notre Dame and Oregon keep it from being a clean sweep. Clemson checks in at 19 as the highest ranked ACC school.

Reactions: PantherBeliever
Prediction: Pitt is going to end up in a coast to coast Big 12. Big 10 picks off Notre Dame, Oregon, and 2-4 other PAC teams. ACC loses its top 4-8 teams to the SEC (maybe even a few to the Big 10). Big 12, being in the middle, adds the Arizona teams, perhaps Utah and Colorado if they're not taken, and about sixish ACC schools (Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, Georgia Tech, etc.). The few teams left over will have to go down to the G5 level (Washington St. and Oregon St. the Mountain West; Wake Forest and whoever else to the AAC).

Be back in a few hours to change the prediction above.

Prediction: Pitt is going to end up in a coast to coast Big 12. Big 10 picks off Notre Dame, Oregon, and 2-4 other PAC teams. ACC loses its top 4-8 teams to the SEC (maybe even a few to the Big 10). Big 12, being in the middle, adds the Arizona teams, perhaps Utah and Colorado if they're not taken, and about sixish ACC schools (Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, Georgia Tech, etc.). The few teams left over will have to go down to the G5 level (Washington St. and Oregon St. the Mountain West; Wake Forest and whoever else to the AAC).

Be back in a few hours to change the prediction above.
If you asked the average person who was REALLY tuned into the money/finances and going ons of this entire racket, I think they would pretty much agree with every single thing you just typed.

Which means there is zero chance of it happening 🤣😉

Call it ACC. Call it XII. Call it whatever. F*** the big brands. I enjoy watching them. I really do. But I don’t care if my team has a shot against them because I know we can’t compete.

Gimme a Division AA playoff with Pitt, WVU, NCSU, VT, Baylor, TCU, Okie Lite, Utah and whoever else.

Is that an accomplishment to win that tourney? Hell yeah! I’ll be on this board talking s*** to you. (Actually, I typically don’t talk sh** after wins here or anywhere…..that’s shortsighted and not my style).

Last edited:
If you asked the average person who was REALLY tuned into the money/finances and going ons of this entire racket, I think they would pretty much agree with every single thing you just typed.

Call it ACC. Call it XII. Call it whatever. F*** the big brands. I enjoy watching them. I really do. But I don’t care if my team has a shot against them because I know we can’t compete.

Gimme a Division AA playoff with Pitt, WVU, NCSU, VT, Baylor, TCU, Okie Lite, Utah and whoever else.

Is that an accomplishment to win that tourney? Hell yeah! I’ll be on this board talking s*** to you. (Actually, I typically don’t talk sh** after wins here or anywhere…..that’s shortsighted and not my style).
The crime is that Vandy, Indiana, Illinois, Ky, NW, Rutgers, etc will be D1 while Pitt, WVU, Utah, Cincinnati, Arizona State, GT will not be.

The crime is that Vandy, Indiana, Illinois, Ky, NW, Rutgers, etc will be D1 while Pitt, WVU, Utah, Cincinnati, Arizona State, GT will not be.
They won’t be for long.

Here’s the deal and I’ve repeated this ad nauseum. There are only going to be about 35-40 “haves”. I just don’t see how it gets much past the 7-8 big schools that everyone has been mentioning. People say “well they need people to beat up on”.

They fail to realize that number of losses importance is finished….and that’s a great thing! I don’t care if Bama and TOSU have 2-3 losses if they play 8-9 games against big boys (as opposed to 2-3 a year like it currently is set up). They’re in the playoff. All schedules aren’t equal so it’s foolish to base merit on number of losses.

There are going to be playoffs WITHIN the playoff system. It’ll be determined on the field.

Besides, the lesser of the top tier that makes SEC and B1G will still become bit**es.

They won’t be for long.

Here’s the deal and I’ve repeated this ad nauseum. There are only going to be about 35-40 “haves”. I just don’t see how it gets much past the 7-8 big schools that everyone has been mentioning. People say “well they need people to beat up on”.

They fail to realize that number of losses importance is finished….and that’s a great thing! I don’t care if Bama and TOSU have 2-3 losses if they play 8-9 games against big boys (as opposed to 2-3 a year like it currently is set up). They’re in the playoff. All schedules aren’t equal so it’s foolish to base merit on number of losses.

There are going to be playoffs WITHIN the playoff system. It’ll be determined on the field.

Besides, the lesser of the top tier that makes SEC and B1G will still become bit**es.
I agree they dont need teams to beat up on. Its the NFL now, Bama can go 10-4 and make a 16 team playoff. But I dont agree that they're going to kick those teams out. College football is so weird in that its the grossest, most cutthroat, most proft-hungry sports venture out there but yet the Big Ten and SEC haves really do look out for the have nots and absolutely love sharing money EQUALLY with them.......because of....tradition????? It makes no sense.

Ohio State will make $100 million
Northwestern $100 million
Pitt/WVU $5 million

I agree they dont need teams to beat up on. Its the NFL now, Bama can go 10-4 and make a 16 team playoff. But I dont agree that they're going to kick those teams out. College football is so weird in that its the grossest, most cutthroat, most proft-hungry sports venture out there but yet the Big Ten and SEC haves really do look out for the have nots and absolutely love sharing money EQUALLY with them.......because of....tradition????? It makes no sense.

Ohio State will make $100 million
Northwestern $100 million
Pitt/WVU $5 million
I disagree man.

There’s going to be schools ultimately (not short term) kicked to the curb AND it will be unequal revenue sharing.

I disagree man.

There’s going to be schools ultimately (not short term) kicked to the curb AND it will be unequal revenue sharing.
The way college football is, I dont know why they even need conferences. Ohio State and Bama and others can probably make $200 million per year with their own TV deals while Vandy makes $10 million. It really should just be like 1 40 team division with everyone doing their own scheduling. What's the point of Ohio State playing Rutgers? Because they're in the same league. That's stupid

The way college football is, I dont know why they even need conferences. Ohio State and Bama and others can probably make $200 million per year with their own TV deals while Vandy makes $10 million. It really should just be like 1 40 team division with everyone doing their own scheduling. What's the point of Ohio State playing Rutgers? Because they're in the same league. That's stupid
I think the conference construct will eventually definitely go away. I’ve said that for a year.

There will be a time in the not so distant future (15-20 years) when Ohio St is playing in same “league” as Bama, etc.

Yeah I don't really get that "shittalking" to other rivals fans when you beat them. I am happy for well, myself. I could care less about the fans we just beat. Except of course in the case of Penn State. LOL

Reactions: WVUinColumbus
That's the real BS. Mississippi State also. What has Mississippi State ever done worthwhile in football and who the hell cares about Starkville and why would a dog, I mean a complete dog of a state in Mississippi have TWO teams in this Fantastic 40!

I still believe state legislature's are going to get involved.

That's the real BS. Mississippi State also. What has Mississippi State ever done worthwhile in football and who the hell cares about Starkville and why would a dog, I mean a complete dog of a state in Mississippi have TWO teams in this Fantastic 40!I
I agree about two schools in Mississippi. But you’ve just opened a whole can of worms…

That's the real BS. Mississippi State also. What has Mississippi State ever done worthwhile in football and who the hell cares about Starkville and why would a dog, I mean a complete dog of a state in Mississippi have TWO teams in this Fantastic 40!

I still believe state legislature's are going to get involved.
I'd like to see Congress get involved. There are many schools that receive federal funding that will be left out. Why should Mississippi have 2 teams in the "premier league" and lets say Virginia have none? Why should Indiana have 2 shit programs but PA can't get in Pitt or Temple?

People will say Congress has more important things to do? Do they? They decided it was important to debate Daylight Savings time

I'd like to see Congress get involved. There are many schools that receive federal funding that will be left out. Why should Mississippi have 2 teams in the "premier league" and lets say Virginia have none? Why should Indiana have 2 shit programs but PA can't get in Pitt or Temple?

People will say Congress has more important things to do? Do they? They decided it was important to debate Daylight Savings time
That’s why I’m more than a little surprised that (public) UCLA was allowed to leave Cal behind in the PAC. That move will definitely hurt Cal’s bottom line.

Mississippi schools can play some baseball though.
I’m all for Mississippi schools getting paid in the SEC (although I think there’s a real chance Miss St might be playing in Hattiesburg for conference games within a decade).

The school that burns me is Purdont. What a f***ing waste of a program. And Rutgers too.

I respect all of the SEC programs and its passionate fans. I don’t respect B1G and many of its fans who’d rather watch an NFL game….and I love the NFL.

I went to a Minnesota Gopher game. Just the worst. UNC game isn’t much better. I was so disappointed in that “experience”. It was dull.

I respect all of the SEC programs and its passionate fans. I don’t respect B1G and many of its fans who’d rather watch an NFL game….and I love the NFL.
The two conferences have similar viewership numbers but you call one fan base passionate and the other you think would rather watch NFL games. You really are just here to troll.

Maybe it will be more fun being in a league YOU CAN WIN, rather than being the permanent punching bags like they will be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT