ADVERTISEMENT

The U.

It wasn't Clemson, it was South Carolina. George Rogers beat out Hugh Green for the Heisman that year, and the bowl hyped the matchup. I'd have much rather faced Herschel in the Sugar Bowl. That was the 1980 season. We went 11-1, with the loss being to FSU. Notre Dame got the bid because the bowl was afraid we might lose to Penn St.
You're correct. 1977 was when we spanked Clemson in the Gator-I believe Cavanaugh was the MVP.

You're correct. 1977 was when we spanked Clemson in the Gator-I believe Cavanaugh was the MVP.
Outside of seasons that ended in postseason disaster, that might be the most disappointing season I can think of for a local team. The team was as advertised, but they had the one stumble, and they weren't given a chance to overcome it.

Outside of seasons that ended in postseason disaster, that might be the most disappointing season I can think of for a local team. The team was as advertised, but they had the one stumble, and they weren't given a chance to overcome it.
Good fortune didn't smile on us that year for sure.

In 1976, Pitt won the national championship.

Home attendance average: 45,391 (Capacity: 56,500)

In 1979, Pitt finished 11-1 and ranked #6:

Home attendance average: 41,029 (Capacity: 56,500)

In 1980, Pitt finished 11-1 and ranked #2:

Home attendance average; 48,342 (Capacity: 56,500)

In 1981, Pitt finished 11-1 and ranked #2:

Home attendance average: 50,854 (Capacity: 56,500)

That's four seasons where Pitt either won the national title or was in the running. And it was during years when the population of Pittsburgh was nearly double what it is today.

Pittsburgh is a pro sports town... and getting 50k+ per game is EXCELLENT attendance compared to the past, and compared to teams in other pro cities.

And Pitt will never consistently sell out. Ever.

I think our best attendance was 2003. We were ranked in the preseason polls in the top 10, Fitz was a Heisman candidate, the Steelers were just starting to get good again and the home schedule had ND and at the time top 10 VT and Miami. Hell, we had a legit 60K for a noon start against Syracuse. The ND, VT and Miami games were all night games and sell outs.

That is the best we will do.

But it is the best any city school not named USC and UCLA will do.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Miami's average attendance figures during their National Championship seasons:

All these seasons were in the Orange Bowl.. with capacity of 75,000

1983: 44,555

1987: 53,920

1989: 51,634

1991: 57,964

2001: 46,162

Source: http://www.hurricanesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205549026

This is life in a pro city. Pitt will never consistently get 70,000 for home games. Ever.

Any year we average over 50,000 is a GOOD attendance year.

Seriously, look at the above numbers. When Miami won the national championship in 2001, they averaged 46k.

That's what Pitt can expect most years.

There is too much competition for the sports entertainment dollar in Pittsburgh.... most folks can't have season tickets for the Steelers, Pirates, Penguins, *AND* Pitt. It just isn't going to happen.

When you live in a podunk cowtown like State College, there is *NO* competition for your sports entertainment dollar.

Miami and Pitt are pro towns with storied college football programs. And both schools will NEVER EVER EVER consistently sell out their home games. It just isn't going to happen.

And there's nothing wrong with that! 50000 is a great turnout in a city were they share the limelight with not just any NFL team, but one of the top 3-4 all time iconic football teams in the world, Pitt will always be 2nd banana in Pittsburgh football, there's no way around it, if they average 50K/game, that's awesome.

I think our best attendance was 2003. We were ranked in the preseason polls in the top 10, Fitz was a Heisman candidate, the Steelers were just starting to get good again and the home schedule had ND and at the time top 10 VT and Miami. Hell, we had a legit 60K for a noon start against Syracuse. The ND, VT and Miami games were all night games and sell outs.

That is the best we will do.

But it is the best any city school not named USC and UCLA will do.
I think those stats show that if we could achieve some sustained success that Pitt attendance could pretty damn good.

I think those stats show that if we could achieve some sustained success that Pitt attendance could pretty damn good.
Yes.

"Pretty damn good" is averaging about 55,000 like we did in 2003.

We will never average close to Heinz capacity of 70,000.

I think it also says you have to have the right buzz and night games draw much better than Noon games. You have to admit, in that 2000-2003 timeframe leading up to the initial Big East raid, when Miami was #1, VT had guys like Vick and Kevin Jones, BC, Syracuse and WVU were decent, man the Big East had alot of exposure in night games, whether it was a Thursday Night or Saturday Nights.

Reactions: Delpanther
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT