ADVERTISEMENT

Return on Investment: Pay to play makes financial sense

ninthgreenat9

Prep
Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Complete speculation here. But an approach worth discussing…

Consider the key factors that produce a top-tier, consistently success college football program…think Top-20 programs. Now - Think about which of those factors are “actionable”. here’s my list

1. Head Coach;
2. Coordinators
3. Facility Quality and Appeal
4. Exceptional (well above the avg) position coaches.
5. Cold hard NIL dollars being utilized to sign top tier recruits / transfers. (This ultimately becomes the most directly influential factor in my opinion)

So, just consider the costs of securing the following:

1. A Top-Tier HC. Lets face it… This is Pitt. it isn’t USC. So you’ll have to outspend the market to land one (if Nard ain’t it). Est cost: $8-12 mil. let’s not focus on duration or guaranteed $.

2. A Top OC - $4m. Sounds like a ton. Ik…. Soooooooo above market. WHO GIVES A ****. This is college football, it comes down to your offense if NARD is HC. Regardless, you need an exceptional OC. Recruits #1 goal at all times is to make the NFL. They want to learn from the best to be the best.

3. This matters. It’s much of the experience you ought not be cheap on. I don’t have a good grasp of the scale of the spend but let’s just assume we’d have to spend on average $10m more than average programs per annum.

4. Exceptional Position Coaches. These are important. Brian Marion. Charlie Partidge. You know the type: $ 4 mil

5. NIL Dollars. I believe Pitt can’t straight donate to an investment firm or whatever vehicle NIL payments are made through. But they can certainly suggest to a donor who planned to donate to the actual university, to consider the 412 alliance, etc, etc. $20 mil

… for those keeping score at home. That’s $50m in aggregate cash outlay.

Now what does that provide you:
1. A well coached tream;
2. High quality talent on your roster;
3. Frequent Competive Seasons
4. Regional Public Interest
5. Improved national visibility
—-
I’m hoping you are noticing the obvious - there is a fly wheel effect - each result this spend provides you as a university has an amplified result on the others. It snowballs.

So, back to financial returns.

Say this approach takes 5 years. And you lose $20m for each of those 5, you are in the hole $100m. So what nerds this is slush fund university money. Trust me….. they can find it when they stop their narrow thinking.

This would create a program that after 5-7 years would be established, and would surely see a financial uptick… whether it’s sponsorship revenue, increase ticket sales, or viewership - this is where the real power is - this is going to determine their 2027 -2050 future. Bla Bla GOR whatever, let’s meet in the middle and assume that’s when things shuffle. Being on the right side of that could easily be $20-30m more per annum on tv rev share. Say $20 over $20 years. That’s $400m by my math.

What was our outlay? $100m

Hmmm… I don’t need to run an IRR in excel to know this makes sense

4 million for an offensive coordinator is beyond ludicrous. The highest paid OC this year was Garrett Riley at Clemson and made just over 2 million. You want to double that salary. It’s laughable at best.

Reactions: pbrad
They should just hire a WPIAL gym teacher for 200K/year to be the HC along with lowball position coaches and then pay recruits $200K/year. We need talent.

It's pretty easy to type up back of the napkin numbers, set up scenarios where they all magically align and work, ignore any roadblock or competition, and it all works out in the end!

MSU giving Smith $11 million for assistants
That’s for every single person coordinator down to the lowest position. But, even that is ridiculous. Alabama pays assistants 9.17 million, Georgia 9.23 million, Ohio Stare 9.3 million. 11 million is insanely dumb.

I agree and have read the posts criticizing the so called inflated figures you use.
Here is a reality check for those who think your numbers are too high:
This is late 2023.
In late 2024 the cost of doing business wil increase.
It will increase in 2025, 2026, etc.
Competent financial planning must consider future increases.
NIL investments will mature to the point where investors will want more than a good team. Marketing budgets geared toward the 18-30 demographic will (IMO) shift money toward NIL.
As my friend in Cleveland (trained by P&G) and head of a North American sales force told me last week “20 years old buy differently than 30 year old who buy differently than 40 year olds…”.
NIL will evolve and change.
My motto in my adult life since age 30 has been and shall remain “Change is inevitable. Growth is optional.”
H2P

I agree and have read the posts criticizing the so called inflated figures you use.
Here is a reality check for those who think your numbers are too high:
This is late 2023.
In late 2024 the cost of doing business wil increase.
It will increase in 2025, 2026, etc.
Competent financial planning must consider future increases.
NIL investments will mature to the point where investors will want more than a good team. Marketing budgets geared toward the 18-30 demographic will (IMO) shift money toward NIL.
As my friend in Cleveland (trained by P&G) and head of a North American sales force told me last week “20 years old buy differently than 30 year old who buy differently than 40 year olds…”.
NIL will evolve and change.
My motto in my adult life since age 30 has been and shall remain “Change is inevitable. Growth is optional.”
H2P
With limited exceptions, big public companies are not going into the NIL business for one reason - it will not gain them a commensurate number of customers to justify it to stockholders. Some might bet big on top players at top schools (Dr Pepper and DJ Uigalelei at Clemson for example), but they aren't spend money at 90% of schools and 99% of players.

With limited exceptions, big public companies are not going into the NIL business for one reason - it will not gain them a commensurate number of customers to justify it to stockholders. Some might bet big on top players at top schools (Dr Pepper and DJ Uigalelei at Clemson for example), but they aren't spend money at 90% of schools and 99% of players.

There is just about ZERO "real" NIL. I actually thought there'd be a lot more than there is. College kids just arent marketable unless you are a Heisman winner. Its all straight up pay for play. I dont even think these NILs are even requiring these kids to make the hospital visits and sports camps to "earn" their NIL. No one even cares anymore. Its just a salary pool.

There is just about ZERO "real" NIL. I actually thought there'd be a lot more than there is. College kids just arent marketable unless you are a Heisman winner. Its all straight up pay for play. I dont even think these NILs are even requiring these kids to make the hospital visits and sports camps to "earn" their NIL. No one even cares anymore. Its just a salary pool.
This is spot on. The Livvie Dunn commercial during the game last week was about it for actual NIL.
Nobody would recognise these guys outside of uniform. And they just don't have the pull for potential buyers to purchase goods or services.
Any legitimate business isn't doing this except for the fanboy angle.
I considered running some of this through my businesses, but throwing money to players would look seriously dodgy on the ledger sheet come tax time. I don't think it would be viewed as a legitimate business expense. (I am overseas, so that would make it look even more dodgy.)
We do sponsor sports at the local level through the businesses. The ROI there is also poor, but there is some visibility at least that comes from that. For Alliance412, what tangible return is there for a business to "donate" that might make it appear to be a reasonable business expense? That expense angle allows for the tax department to match the donation to some percentage of the value.

So you essentially agree with me and disagree with yourself.

This is spot on. The Livvie Dunn commercial during the game last week was about it for actual NIL.
Nobody would recognise these guys outside of uniform. And they just don't have the pull for potential buyers to purchase goods or services.
Any legitimate business isn't doing this except for the fanboy angle.
I considered running some of this through my businesses, but throwing money to players would look seriously dodgy on the ledger sheet come tax time. I don't think it would be viewed as a legitimate business expense. (I am overseas, so that would make it look even more dodgy.)
We do sponsor sports at the local level through the businesses. The ROI there is also poor, but there is some visibility at least that comes from that. For Alliance412, what tangible return is there for a business to "donate" that might make it appear to be a reasonable business expense? That expense angle allows for the tax department to match the donation to some percentage of the value.

I thought there'd be more local NIL at least but you dont even see that. As much as people say PSU and WVU are as popular in Pittsburgh, you think you'd see Drew Allar or Rodney Gallagher (coming off his 74 yard performance.....on the season) doing commercials and promotional appearances. But there's just no money in it. Even the fanboy businesses arent doing it. Its money that cant be justified

Caleb Williams is in a Dr. Pepper commercial, is that NIL? Or just because he's so well known? I mean it's been said Jurkovic made $200k in NIL, but relatively speaking, he's a nobody outside of Pittsburgh, is he in ads? I live in Maryland and I've never seen a Terps athlete in an ad for anything?

Caleb Williams is in a Dr. Pepper commercial, is that NIL? Or just because he's so well known? I mean it's been said Jurkovic made $200k in NIL, but relatively speaking, he's a nobody outside of Pittsburgh, is he in ads? I live in Maryland and I've never seen a Terps athlete in an ad for anything?
Caleb Williams in the Dr. Pepper commercial is exactly how NIL should be working, not this BS pay-for-play from the boosters. I don't care how they frame it. The boosters paying college athletes isn't NIL.

Caleb Williams can do actual NIL endorsements, but that still doesn't cover what he's being paid.
Are you buying a car because Bub Means or Devin Danielson do an ad? Hardly anyone would recognise them.

The Livvie Dunn commercial during the game last week was about it for actual NIL.

Every young lady who looks like her can do well with NIL. Maybe not to her extreme but since her follows on X , instagram and Chinese tictoc and in the millions

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT