ADVERTISEMENT

The women win a game!

Joe the Panther Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Jul 6, 2001
Beat Virginia on the road, 56-52. Liatu King with 15 points, 16 rebounds and 4 assists. Jala Jordan with 18 points and 9 rebounds.

Pitt made a basket (the first one by either team in the quarter) with under eight minutes to go in the game to go up 49-32. And then tried to piss the whole lead away. Fortunately, they failed.

I watched this game and am elated for our players, coaches,
and the program. I know these young women try hard, hustle,
and seemingly have stayed invested. They deserve to be rewarded
IMO.

Now for the real stuff. That honestly may have been the worst
display of bball (both teams) that I've seen in quite awhile. I'll
post some stats later when I see them, but UVA's T0's were off
the charts and may have been more than ours. That's hard to
believe given how we often turn it over.

I'm not sure if I've seen a team struggle inbounding the ball against
such lousy pressure as UVA was showing. Rather than go on and on,
I'll hold off until I see other poster's comments. It is a win and I hope
coaches and players are enjoying the moment.

I watched this game and am elated for our players, coaches,
and the program. I know these young women try hard, hustle,
and seemingly have stayed invested. They deserve to be rewarded
IMO.

Now for the real stuff. That honestly may have been the worst
display of bball (both teams) that I've seen in quite awhile. I'll
post some stats later when I see them, but UVA's T0's were off
the charts and may have been more than ours. That's hard to
believe given how we often turn it over.

I'm not sure if I've seen a team struggle inbounding the ball against
such lousy pressure as UVA was showing. Rather than go on and on,
I'll hold off until I see other poster's comments.
There is no room for remorse when we win. We are sitting out transfers etc. H2P

This was always going to be a struggle, but every time I see a photo of the ladies off the court they are smiling.
It’s easy to have a good attitude when you win. But losing is tough and a huge mental challenge.
If that program achieves mental toughness this season then the season has been a success.

This was always going to be a struggle, but every time I see a photo of the ladies off the court they are smiling.
It’s easy to have a good attitude when you win. But losing is tough and a huge mental challenge.
If that program achieves mental toughness this season then the season has been a success.
Great post!!!!

There is no room for remorse when we win. We are sitting out transfers etc. H2P
Posted that I was elated for the players and the coaches. Sorry Pierre,
but it's a bball message board and discussing what goes on in a
game, both good and bad is what we do here. As for the bball, it was
awful, both teams. That's being objective.

Once again, Im happy for them and they seem like a great group of young
women who are invested and giving it their all.

Last edited:
I was wrong - I thought we’d go oh-for-the-ACC.

The score by quarter really is telling:
Pitt—15–8–24-9
UVA—13-13-6-20

Liatu also was credited with 5 steals. Tonite she got some help from Jordan, who scored 18.

Happy for the players, Coach Verdi, and the staff.

Go Pitt.

Their bball talent may not be ACC level, but there's a few
few other teams in the same boat. You might be surprised
again as another Pitt win is possible IMO.

Our problem is going to be that we now go through a stretch where we are going to be big underdogs for the next half dozen games. Ranked Louisville on the road, then a Duke team that was ranked earlier this season and beat a ranked team tonight by 42 points, then a road game with a Notre Dame team that already beat us, then a home game against ranked Florida State (the team that Duke manhandled tonight), then top ten NC State, then ranked North Carolina on the road.

The good news, I guess, is that after that four of our last five are against other teams at the bottom of the standing (Clemson, Wake, Miami, BC) that we could beat. Let's just hope that the next three weeks don't beat the team down too much for that to happen.

Our problem is going to be that we now go through a stretch where we are going to be big underdogs for the next half dozen games. Ranked Louisville on the road, then a Duke team that was ranked earlier this season and beat a ranked team tonight by 42 points, then a road game with a Notre Dame team that already beat us, then a home game against ranked Florida State (the team that Duke manhandled tonight), then top ten NC State, then ranked North Carolina on the road.

The good news, I guess, is that after that four of our last five are against other teams at the bottom of the standing (Clemson, Wake, Miami, BC) that we could beat. Let's just hope that the next three weeks don't beat the team down too much for that to happen.
Well we've already lost to VTech by 50 and Louisville by 30. On the other hand,
UVA somehow beat a ranked FSU team, so who knows. I am impressed by how
our players have remained positive and seemingly upbeat through these league
games. After tonight's win, hopefully they'll keep up the attitude and stay invested
as they have so far. As I'm sure you know UVA had 22 TO's, and were 28% FG's and
25% on their threes. We weren't statistically much better, but better enough to win.
I feel we're better than what we showed tonight and there just might be another
win after those several upcoming games you mentioned. Hopefully they're celebrating
the win tonight.

—I’m hoping that second half will get Malcolm going some. Would like to see her be much more aggressive - especially in 3-point shooting and going for 50/50 type balls. She has some nice ability, and shows some BB smarts, but then she has lapses…. She is playing a lot of minutes.

—Wonder what’s going on with Battle, injury or doghouse? They need her to play and to score some.

—At the last home game, noticed Ioanna still in a boot. Also noticed that she is no taller than Hutcherson - who is listed as 6–2. I’ve seen Ioanna listed as 6-3 and 6-4. I’m hoping 6-4 is her “plays-like” height…

Go Pitt.

What's the portal like for women's hoops? My guess is that there are WAY fewer transfers due to the lack of NIL inducements and also I'd think women's players are more your true "student-athletes" who actually value the school they attend and friends they've made. The men are straight-up pros always looking for the best opportunity to advance their careers or the most money.

What's the portal like for women's hoops? My guess is that there are WAY fewer transfers due to the lack of NIL inducements and also I'd think women's players are more your true "student-athletes" who actually value the school they attend and friends they've made. The men are straight-up pros always looking for the best opportunity to advance their careers or the most money.
You're wrong. The transfer market is active for women hoops. I don't know how it compares to men, but it's very active.

Regardless of NIL inducement, players are transferring for a better fit or more playing time. It doesn't make sense to stay put at a school if you're not happy.

You're wrong. The transfer market is active for women hoops. I don't know how it compares to men, but it's very active.

Regardless of NIL inducement, players are transferring for a better fit or more playing time. It doesn't make sense to stay put at a school if you're not happy.

How does it compare to the men? I am guessing there are way fewer and that means its tougher for coaches to turn programs quickly

—At the last home game, noticed Ioanna still in a boot. Also noticed that she is no taller than Hutcherson - who is listed as 6–2. I’ve seen Ioanna listed as 6-3 and 6-4. I’m hoping 6-4 is her “plays-like” height…

The good news is that she was at least there again. She was not at (at least that I saw) several games previously. I was starting to wonder if she had gone back home or something. Fortunately, that appears to not be the case.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT