ADVERTISEMENT

There was a thread here a while back

about the similarities between Pitt and UCLA

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21553182/by-hiring-chip-kelly-ucla-shows-all-in

no more......

If I had to guess...I would suspect that many here myself included....can not help but replace UCLA....with Pitt in this article.

Congrats to UCLA for making a big time decision. We here at Pitt can only dream.

We would never ever go that route , which would be exactly what we should do. I'm not talking about firing Duzz, just if we were in that position right now, it would be the D Cord at Bowling Green, after a search firm for 1.2 million a year.

Reactions: bubba31
We would never ever go that route , which would be exactly what we should do. I'm not talking about firing Duzz, just if we were in that position right now, it would be the D Cord at Bowling Green, after a search firm for 1.2 million a year.
...or with the coaching change at UCLA, we could now get Tom Bradley for bargain basement money. :eek::eek::eek:

(Ron Cook: "...pleased!")

Reactions: OriginalEther
UCLA has much better fan support as well. The smallest crowd they had for a home game in 2016 was 64,000.

I don’t know if it was in that article but reported the contract is 5 years for 23.5 million. I bet this ends up being a bargain. They’ve been down for a while but I’m betting he brings them back.

UCLA has much better fan support as well. The smallest crowd they had for a home game in 2016 was 64,000.
They also have the population of Southern California to draw from...hardly a fair comparison. And that area is NOT a good pro football area, so the NFL isn’t their competition. There’s more than enough people to support UCLA, Southern Cal, and a lot more.

Reactions: pittman71
They also have the population of Southern California to draw from...hardly a fair comparison. And that area is NOT a good pro football area, so the NFL isn’t their competition. There’s more than enough people to support UCLA, Southern Cal, and a lot more.

I agree but the point is while it is hard to recruit big time players to Pitt with the attendance issues we have it is the same situation with getting big time coaches like Kelly to come here as well.

I agree but the point is while it is hard to recruit big time players to Pitt with the attendance issues we have it is the same situation with getting big time coaches like Kelly to come here as well.
We exist in a different universe than those teams. They spend money like it’s “MONOPOLY” money. We pinch pennies so tight that it hurts Abraham Lincoln.

Reactions: pittman71
Ok guys, can any of you name an equivalent to Chip Kelly that was around for the past couple Pitt coaching searches?
And no, Mike Leach is not an answer

Frankly, UCLA is the beneficiary of the stars aligning here. Though it does help that they chose to fire their coach before Thanksgiving

Ok guys, can any of you name an equivalent to Chip Kelly that was around for the past couple Pitt coaching searches?

Frankly, UCLA is the beneficiary of the stars aligning here. Though it does help that they chose to fire their coach before Thanksgiving

It wouldn’t have mattered, no one like Kelly would ever consider Pitt. I wish it was different, but it probably never will be. UCLA can spend whatever it wants to, and after all it is LA.

The only chance Pitt ever has of getting a 5 star type coach is if he has some seriously significant ties to the city or the University. Part of me always dreamed that Cowher wanted to get back into the game and didn’t want the 16 hour a day lifestyle of the NFL. Obviously was never going to happen, but was nice to think about.

It wouldn’t have mattered, no one like Kelly would ever consider Pitt. I wish it was different, but it probably never will be. UCLA can spend whatever it wants to, and after all it is LA.

The only chance Pitt ever has of getting a 5 star type coach is if he has some seriously significant ties to the city or the University. Part of me always dreamed that Cowher wanted to get back into the game and didn’t want the 16 hour a day lifestyle of the NFL. Obviously was never going to happen, but was nice to think about.

How many NFL coaches do you really think put in anywhere close to 16 hour days? Plus they don’t need to worry about recruiting at all.

The thread comparing UCLA w Pitt had to be the dumbest, most stupid insane thread ever posted here in the history of the Lair.....and bear in mind SMF posts here.
When thinking of Oakland and Pitt oh yea Westwood CA immediately comes to mind.

This further separates it......Pitt could have signed Chip , when he was OC at NH ......but now.
Never.

The thread comparing UCLA w Pitt had to be the dumbest, most stupid insane thread ever posted here in the history of the Lair.....and bear in mind SMF posts here.
When thinking of Oakland and Pitt oh yea Westwood CA immediately comes to mind.

This further separates it......Pitt could have signed Chip , when he was OC at NH ......but now.
Never.

Yup. There’s not a pile of cash big enough that would have attracted a coach like Kelley

Look I do think Pitt has been cheap in the past and has made some dreadful hires as a result. However Pitt will never be able to attract headline coaches like Kelley. To use his hire to criticize the admin for being cheap is pretty dumb

Reactions: TD_istheman

I agree with the first part. I also think that UCLA wouldn't have fired Mora this early if Chip wasn't already signed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT