ADVERTISEMENT

Things I Think I Think 12/3/2023

phijo

Freshman
Apr 24, 2005
Had a chance to rewatch the match. Even rewatching the match seemed stressful!

1. Skylar Fields is really good. I mean really really good. Still, she was targeted about 40% of the time so you know where the ball is probably going.
2. The defense was exceptional for the lady panthers during the match. The digs and scrambling to keep balls alive was remarkable. The block especially sets 3 and 4 was great. That had to be demoralizing to USC. Heck USC was pretty darn good the first two sets themselves.
3. The serve receive left something to be desired. But good gosh! The setting from Rachel Fairbanks was fabulous. She seemed very animated this match, which was good to see.
4. I hope that Torrey and Olivia have gotten a feel how different NCAA tournament volleyball is compared to regular season volleyball. You can cut the tension with a knife.
5. There was a play where Tuaniga was attempting to dump a set and VVG blocked it. We had more blocks after that. The energy of the match was just different going forward. VVG is a really good player. She does all of the little things well. She will never dominate a match on her own but she makes a difference.
6. It doesn't get easier. Washington St as the next opponent will be formidable. Pitt's defense has the capability of making the difference. Hope it continues.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT