ADVERTISEMENT

Things *other* than the QB situation

str61166

Assistant Coach
Gold Member
Feb 13, 2014
It’s the glaring issue that we’ll rightfully be talking about ad nauseam, so just wanted a space here to see if anyone has much to say on anything else. A few things:

- On the first drive, Hammond had 7 carries for 41 yards. For the rest of the game, he had 7 carries for 8 yards. Obviously we were one dimensional, but that’s still pretty frustrating. WVU had zero issues adjusting to stop the run for most of the game outside of that first drive.

- I wouldn’t exactly call it a successful job stopping the run either. People go on about the run D being a hallmark of Narduzzi defenses, and while we have had the occasional game where an opposing team RB goes off, they are usually pretty rare and cleaned up in subsequent games. But what if the opposing team just has the edge in the trenches? I don’t think that’s often been the case the past few years, but the DL is down and WVU’s OL as we all know is legitimate.

- A frustrating amount of penalties for such an experienced team. Also interesting WVU played a supposedly clean first half, with their first flag coming with I think under a minute left in the 2nd, but whatever, this shouldn’t be something to ruminate over given our other issues.

- Their QB made a few throws, but their leading receiver (a TE) had 3 catches for 21 yards, so assume the secondary was mostly good.

- Overall aside from a few plays and some of those struggles against the run, I guess we can say the D was good too, especially with the situation they were in. But next week might be a bit uglier as I imagine UNC’s offense is way better than both Cincy’s and WVU’s (especially with their backup QB).

- Seems like a lot of guys went down injured too. Not sure how serious and the season could end up shot anyway with an L as most will be expecting next week.

- Special teams were good at least… I know it’s a laugher when your punter is one of your few positives, but still good to have one.

Reactions: jlazinger
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News