ADVERTISEMENT

This is why Berhalter needs to go

His apology before the team should have been something like "guys, I'm sorry, I let the fact that our coach is a dumbass affect the way that I trained. I shouldn't have let that happen, I should have done my best to ignore him, but that's hard to do when you know you can help a team out and the coach is just too dumb to realize that."

Simple fact. US needs a world class coach. Period. Berhalter isn’t who you trust to win the big one. US soccer from top to bottom has coaching issues. Youth boys and girls and men’s for certain.

As the technical director, Earnie Stewart has to identify coaches who play a system which can generate goals without having a true striker. They cannot rely on Pepi, Sargent, etc. Who out there plays a system where we can get our best 11 on the field? Its surely not Berhalter. 3 goals in 4 games, 2 being vs marginal WC teams Wales and Iran. Not good enough.

As the technical director, Earnie Stewart has to identify coaches who play a system which can generate goals without having a true striker. They cannot rely on Pepi, Sargent, etc. Who out there plays a system where we can get our best 11 on the field? Its surely not Berhalter. 3 goals in 4 games, 2 being vs marginal WC teams Wales and Iran. Not good enough.
Without a striker and without a set piece threat, that’s two strikes against us. Whoever the coach is has his hands full. Which is why we need a world class guy who can draw blood from a stone.

Reactions: anon_d97v9o3a8b6xr
Spend the freakin money and get a world class coach who knows how to manage pro athletes, minimize drama, and can coach to success. Get someone who can call club coaches and demand the players get to work on things and play minutes. Get a coach that can find talent and play in a system that is successful. Find a coach that can develop a team to perform beyond expectations.

Without a striker and without a set piece threat, that’s two strikes against us. Whoever the coach is has his hands full. Which is why we need a world class guy who can draw blood from a stone.

The thing that is truly a mystery is that the US used to be very good at set pieces, to the point that it made up for their lack of high level scoring talent at the nine. I mean Jozi Altidore is probably our best "natural" nine over the last couple of decades. Are they just not emphasizing set pieces enough? Not practicing them enough? Do they have no one who can deliver a good ball on them (surely someone has to be better than Pulisic on corners)?

If you are good at set pieces you can cover up for difficulties in scoring from the run of play. When you aren't good at either you struggle to score against decent competition.

The thing that is truly a mystery is that the US used to be very good at set pieces, to the point that it made up for their lack of high level scoring talent at the nine. I mean Jozi Altidore is probably our best "natural" nine over the last couple of decades. Are they just not emphasizing set pieces enough? Not practicing them enough? Do they have no one who can deliver a good ball on them (surely someone has to be better than Pulisic on corners)?

If you are good at set pieces you can cover up for difficulties in scoring from the run of play. When you aren't good at either you struggle to score against decent competition.
Not sure if you heard but they always talked about the set piece coach that was hired for this cycle. Sadly he’s either the Matt Canada or Danny Smith of his craft…or the US simply doesn’t have any threats on the other end of them. That said, someone has to be able to consistently put them where they belong and that wasn’t Christian.

Not sure if you heard but they always talked about the set piece coach that was hired for this cycle. Sadly he’s either the Matt Canada or Danny Smith of his craft…or the US simply doesn’t have any threats on the other end of them. That said, someone has to be able to consistently put them where they belong and that wasn’t Christian.

Michael Bradley was very good taking set pieces. Pulisic, for whatever reason is very bad. BTW, the demise of Michael Bradley (35) and Jozy Altidore (33) has really been something. While sure, they are a little too old to contribute to the national team, they are both 2 of the best ever. Its really something that their play fell off that much that they couldn't even get into consideration over guys like Cristian Roldan and Jordan Morris.

Michael Bradley was very good taking set pieces. Pulisic, for whatever reason is very bad. BTW, the demise of Michael Bradley (35) and Jozy Altidore (33) has really been something. While sure, they are a little too old to contribute to the national team, they are both 2 of the best ever. Its really something that their play fell off that much that they couldn't even get into consideration over guys like Cristian Roldan and Jordan Morris.
Yeah good players in their day. Jozy had the “what could have been” career.

Reactions: Allan McMurray
When I think of national team players I don’t think of Jozy and Bradley as two of the best ever.
One day when old and gray, if we get there, we are going to be following the career of Jozy’s kid. Not yet born, but with Jozy for a Dad and a tennis star for a Mom, kids destined to be a star athlete.

One day when old and gray, if we get there, we are going to be following the career of Jozy’s kid. Not yet born, but with Jozy for a Dad and a tennis star for a Mom, kids destined to be a star athlete.
Has the Agassi Graff kid gotten old enough to play pro tennis? I have no idea but that’s a kid who should be the next great tennis player. Talk about hitting every athletic gene branch.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I just answered my own question when I researched via Google Machine.

Their parents, Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf, won an astounding 30 grand slam titles between them, so a path to professional tennis seemed inevitable.

But at an age where many prodigies are being groomed by round-the-clock coaching, son Jaden and daughter Jaz hardly play tennis.

"Tennis? I just think we've had enough, quite honestly," Agassi said bluntly, during an interview last week.

"It's a weird sport. We don't see too many second-generation players. For us, it's about raising our children in a way we can share in their life and not always worry about their life."

Instead of drilling their kids on court, Agassi and Graf are forever running them around the suburbs of Las Vegas for other sporting pursuits.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
ADVERTISEMENT