ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts After Virginia

Matt Steinbrink

Head Coach
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
Thought it was a great effort. The defense was there throughout. There were a couple of stretches where a few difficult shots were taken and it allowed Virginia to open up a double digit lead. For that team, a ten point lead is like 30.

What you rarely see is a team make a run back at them like Pitt did. This is not a great Virginia team, but the program is still the standard as far as consistency and commitment. Under Bennett, they don't beat themselves and they very rarely blow a lead. They almost did against this Pitt team. That speaks volumes about the effort and mentality.

With that, the moral victories are getting old this year. You do have to keep things in perspective so that you can understand the progress. But Capel would be the first to tell you that it is time. That is up for debate if they should be in a better spot right now, but the staff can't be content or it will leak into the culture.

Xavier was really good yesterday. Thought it was one of the best games that he has played as a Panther. Clark is a tough match up and is really quick. He's experienced. Felt like there were a few times that Xavier could have just shot over him, but instead tried to draw a foul and make a play horizontally. If Xavier had played like this all season long, I think this team would be sitting in a much better spot. I noticed a different look to him at the start of that Florida State game, and he was everywhere yesterday. I know I have been hard on him this year because that is the Xavier Johnson that I know and expect.

AuDiese is the other one that stands out to me. Has just kept working and grinding away. It isn't always smooth but he has developed into what this program needs. He is a tough kid that doesn't back down.

Ryan just can't buy a shot right now. It has hit his confidence too. There have been several times recently where Ryan passed up a shot and Capel responded by telling him to shoot. At that point, there is no chance. If you have to tell your shooter to let it go, you have big problems.

It is unfortunate that the effort and consistency has not been there the entire season. You saw it yesterday. When they are locked in and moving the ball, it can look good. Even without the outside shooting threat. That is a really good defense that they are playing and there were a lot of really nice possessions. I feel like they are close to breaking through, if these underclassmen can just truly understand what Capel is preaching. When he explains just how fine of a line it is. It can be a few plays here and there.

If they can figure that out, good things are coming. You are going to have basically everyone back. You add your center and more athleticism at forward. I am fairly confident that two really good players are added. The shooting depth you want won't be there yet, but Horton should be an upgrade and there will finally be quality depth and experience. They can also use this year to see how you can run effective offense and win with sound defensive play. All with betters players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News