ADVERTISEMENT

Time for football, athletic departments to split?

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
In my opinion, it may be smart to consider football programs becoming separate entities from the rest of their school’s athletic department, similar to how college hockey operates. There’s no reason why, for example, WVU should be traveling to Lubbock, TX for baseball games or Maryland playing a conference volleyball game in Lincoln, NE. It has become a logistical nightmare and it appears it’s only going to get worse.

I believe a good solution would be to return to regional conferences for Olympic sports while letting football do their own thing, which seems to be trending towards the European “super league” model. This would allow schools to continue generating record-setting profits through football while saving money in other sports by reducing travel costs.

IMO, this may be what’s best for collegiate athletics long-term.

In my opinion, it may be smart to consider football programs becoming separate entities from the rest of their school’s athletic department, similar to how college hockey operates. There’s no reason why, for example, WVU should be traveling to Lubbock, TX for baseball games or Maryland playing a conference volleyball game in Lincoln, NE. It’s become logistical nightmares and it appears it’s only going to get worse.

I believe a good solution would be to return to regional conferences for Olympic sports while letting football do their own thing, which seems to be trending towards the European “super league” model. This would allow schools to continue generating record-setting profits through football while saving money in other sports by reducing travel costs.

IMO, this may be what’s best for collegiate athletics long-term.
Exactly.

The highest level football programs should not be under the NCAA umbrella.

Reactions: Phillypanther2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT