ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s talk some more about the new NCAA subdivision

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
Most commentators are guessing that, at a minimum, it’ll cost $6-7M per year for the pay-to-play requirement. A few questions I had:

• Is it even a guarantee that every P4 school (+ Oregon State and Washington State) can afford that number? I’d imagine we’ll see quite a few Olympic programs eliminated across the country to help offset the new expenses.
• Are there any G5 programs who can afford to compete on this level? I’d guess Memphis and South Florida for starters, especially since they’re investing big bucks on football facilities. Any chance for a schools like Temple in the east or San Diego State in the west?
• Could this lead to additional realignment? I wouldn’t be surprised if this forces some schools to return to more regionally-centric conferences; the last thing they’ll need when trying to find fund money is to have Olympic teams traveling across the country for competition. Perhaps we reach a point where football becomes separate from the rest of the athletic department in terms of conference affiliations?

In all, I’d have to imagine that no more than 60-70 schools will move up to this new level. At that point, I think the FBS and FBS would be better off merging and keeping the amount of D1 subdivisions at zero.

Most commentators are guessing that, at a minimum, it’ll cost $6-7M per year for the pay-to-play requirement. A few questions I had:

• Is it even a guarantee that every P4 school (+ Oregon State and Washington State) can afford that number? I’d imagine we’ll see quite a few Olympic programs eliminated across the country to help offset the new expenses.

Yes. Every P4 will afford it and probably at least half of the G5s. Its a cost of doing business. You cut costs elsewhere and do other things like making season ticket holders donate to the player salary fund.

Reactions: Panther_in_Kentucky
Cutting sports, particularly women's sports, is a sure fire way to get congress involved in solving this mess.

As for regional competition to save on travel costs, in a perfect world that makes Pitt more Big 10 attractive.

We dont of course.....live in that world.

Cutting sports, particularly women's sports, is a sure fire way to get congress involved in solving this mess.

As for regional competition to save on travel costs, in a perfect world that makes Pitt more Big 10 attractive.

It might not be the Big Ten, but I’d love to see conferences re-emerge in the northeast and pacific along with the central region.

For example, I think it’d make sense if Pitt was in a conference with Penn State, WVU, and other regional schools in the ACC/Big East/Big Ten for basketball + Olympic sports and then allow football to do its own thing, whether that’s in a so-called super league or elsewhere.

Yes. Every P4 will afford it and probably at least half of the G5s. Its a cost of doing business. You cut costs elsewhere and do other things like making season ticket holders donate to the player salary fund.
Cost of doing business? are these schools making a profit now? Are P5 athletic departments profitable or are they being subsidized by other funds?

Cost of doing business? are these schools making a profit now? Are P5 athletic departments profitable or are they being subsidized by other funds?

Football and basketball teams are profitable. Their profits are used to subsidize the other sports. So cut costs in the other sports and other places.

• Are there any G5 programs who can afford to compete on this level? I’d guess Memphis and South Florida for starters, especially since they’re investing big bucks on football facilities. Any chance for a schools like Temple in the east or San Diego State in the west?
• Could this lead to additional realignment? I wouldn’t be surprised if this forces some schools to return to more regionally-centric conferences; the last thing they’ll need when trying to find fund money is to have Olympic teams traveling across the country for competition. Perhaps we reach a point where football becomes separate from the rest of the athletic department in terms of conference affiliations?

In all, I’d have to imagine that no more than 60-70 schools will move up to this new level. At that point, I think the FBS and FBS would be better off merging and keeping the amount of D1 subdivisions at zero.
Does anyone think that the timing of this NCAA announcement/proposal is coincidental with the committee’s final football rankings putting Alabama in and leaving FSU out??
Does anyone remember the statement of the SEC commissioner right before the committee’s final ranking:
There is no way in the world that an SEC team will not be included in the final four rankings.
You just have to wonder what pressure(s) the SEC put on the NCAA/committee to include the SEC in the playoff.
Maybe, threatening to leave the NCAA and form their own semi-pro league?
Something about the timing and results of this whole process doesn’t pass the smell test.
The fact that the mighty press has not delved into these developments is telling.
Are there other thoughts????
Your input is appreciated.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Does anyone think that the timing of this NCAA announcement/proposal is coincidental with the committee’s final football rankings putting Alabama in and leaving FSU out??
Does anyone remember the statement of the SEC commissioner right before the committee’s final ranking:
There is no way in the world that an SEC team will not be included in the final four rankings.
You just have to wonder what pressure(s) the SEC put on the NCAA/committee to include the SEC in the playoff.
Maybe, threatening to leave the NCAA and form their own semi-pro league?
Something about the timing and results of this whole process doesn’t pass the smell test.
The fact that the mighty press has not delved into these developments is telling.
Are there other thoughts????
Your input is appreciated.
I wish they would just let the SEC GTFO and go away. Do people with no ties to the SEC schools and no ties to the states they are in prefer to watch their teams over the schools in their own states and their own alma maters? I mean I'd watch Pitt vs. Wofford over Bama vs. Georgia, it's MY TEAM, I don't care about their southern hillbilly asses. They probably do, I just can't relate to that.

Cut all women's sports (outside of VB) as women want to play men's sports now. Title IX is no longer needed!

Women's sports won't be touched. At schools like Pitt, the 50% education fund clause for women requires nearly all of the women's teams just to match up with the 100 scholarships that men will have for football and basketball. Add men's soccer and wrestling, likely to stay, and more women will be needed. I guess another alternative is to not compensate all of the men. But that seems unlikely.

Women's sports won't be touched. At schools like Pitt, the 50% education fund clause for women requires nearly all of the women's teams just to match up with the 100 scholarships that men will have for football and basketball. Add men's soccer and wrestling, likely to stay, and more women will be needed. I guess another alternative is to not compensate all of the men. But that seems unlikely.

You have to cut an equal amount of men's and women's teams. Perhaps the NCAA will allow D1 teams to go D3 in certain sports. Like Pitt baseball and softball can be in a league with W&J, LaRoche, WVU, Waynesburg, etc.

You have to cut an equal amount of men's and women's teams. Perhaps the NCAA will allow D1 teams to go D3 in certain sports. Like Pitt baseball and softball can be in a league with W&J, LaRoche, WVU, Waynesburg, etc.
Don't they allow that already? Johns Hopkins is D1 and in the B1G in lacrosse and D3 in everything else.

What don't you understand about the numbers? Women's teams will be needed to offset just the 100 scholarships for men's football and basketball.

We know you want all other sports cut. They won't be. The only question is whether they will be part of the education fund.

Don't they allow that already? Johns Hopkins is D1 and in the B1G in lacrosse and D3 in everything else.
The NCAA ruled that you can’t be in different divisions for different sports, but I believe some schools (like John Hopkins) were grandfathered in.

What don't you understand about the numbers? Women's teams will be needed to offset just the 100 scholarships for men's football and basketball.

We know you want all other sports cut. They won't be. The only question is whether they will be part of the education fund.
Never mind the optics of doing something that stupid, you need a certain number of sports program just to participate in D1.

Right. So just have football and basketball then throw in women's hoops, volleyball, soccer, softball, whatever else is needed for Title IX. Make everything else D3 or cut it. Or keep it for all I care as long as you can pay our football and basketball players as mucb as low to mid P2 schools.

Right. So just have football and basketball then throw in women's hoops, volleyball, soccer, softball, whatever else is needed for Title IX. Make everything else D3 or cut it. Or keep it for all I care as long as you can pay our football and basketball players as mucb as low to mid P2 schools.
You continue to live in your own little fantasy world.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT