ADVERTISEMENT

To my novice eye...watching

pitt_fb_9x1

Scholarship
Feb 5, 2003
the films today of the commitments......the player I’m most intrigued by is Davis
Beville. I talked about it, a little on a different thread, but the size/speed and arm strength are
there. To roll out right and then hit a receiver on the left sideline, fourty yards down field,
Is a 60 yard throw...that’s arm strength... watching his foot work, he is very athletic for a big
Teenager.......I think this kid blows up and some big colleges/universities come knocking still.
This kid has the it factor to me...

Now, everyone looks great on tape....but there are things on his tape you just cant teach..
Speed and arm strength.......

Duzzi hasn’t fallen into the trap other hc here have.. under valuing the qb position..
and as such has attacked the qb position each year.. looking at past coaches, they were
afraid to recruit the position hard. My opinion, prev staffs thought they needed to space it out to protect recent/earlier yrs commitments. Here, coach knows that your one play away from the number two and three qb.

Last edited:
the films today of the commitments......the player I’m most intrigued by is Davis
Beville. I talked about it, a little on a different thread, but the size/speed and arm strength are
there. To roll out right and then hit a receiver on the left sideline, fourty yards down field,
Is a 60 yard throw...that’s arm strength... watching his foot work, he is very athletic for a big
Teenager.......I think this kid blows up and some big colleges/universities come knocking still.

Now, everyone looks great on tape....but there are things on his tape you just cant teach..

Duzzi hasn’t fallen into the trap other hc here have.. under valuing the qb position..
and as such has attacked the qb position each year.. looking at past coaches, they were
afraid to recruit the position hard. My opinion, prev staffs thought they needed to space it out to protect recent/earlier yrs commitments. Here, coach knows that your one play away from the number two and three qb.
Two things.
First Davis is the most talented quarterback brought into the program since Palko. Not seeing pick it won't be a better quarterback than him. Pick it has good talent, and appears to be a darn fine quarterback. The bevel has his talent, and about three four more inches.
I also agree he can throw about four or five different kinds of passes which not a lot of quarterbacks can do. He can put are on a deep ball, for a laser on a long intermediate route, has his quick pot pass he does it's got zip on it but he'll oops it over defenders in man coverage on short out patterns. He looks a little raw, and is going to need a lot of coaching up by Watson. But he's got a shot at being drafted in the first few days of the draft.
Second, du's has absolutely worked very hard to try to get this quarterback position squared away. But it's been like nailing Jell-O to the wall. Hopefully the kids he's gotten now the last two years stick, and they can get class distribution Talent depth right.

He looks a little raw, and is going to need a lot of coaching up by Watson. But he's got a shot at being drafted in the first few days of the draft.

Agree. I am really impressed by his patience and that he looks at the whole field. You can see him scan the field when his first option is covered, which is rare for a high school junior. He also keeps his head up looking down field as he scrambles. Also rare for a high school junior, especially one that can run as well as he can. Total pass first kid, which I like.

Watching his film, I think he compares to Mason Rudolph a bit. Great deep ball, size, similar athleticism (maybe a little better athleticism). I'm not saying he will be as good as Rudolph was in college. Just saying there are some similarities.

How many ships is Pitt giving out in this class ?
Beville's tape does look good. Has nice zip on the ball.

Last edited:
You got to think by the time Picket is drafted, Beville will be ready with 2 years learning the system. God, 2021 may be the year we see Pitt take that next step. Exciting times.

Davis compared himself a second running back on the field, which you can see for his mobility--especially for being so tall. However, other than his arm strength, I liked that he was always looking downfield for a receiver when moving around. He wasn't looking to run, but get the ball to his playmakers.

He could be the clone of that guy(whose name will be uttered here) from Pine Richland who took his game to South Bend.

I don’t know if previous coaches undervalued the position but the turnover in HC, OC and systems has made it difficult to build depth. That necessitated the grad transfers as short term fixes but that further jumbled the developmental pipeline.

I think Pitt fans get more worried that recruiting QB A will negate getting QB B. It might be that some coaches think that, but I doubt it. It is more likely that they weren’t good at identifying talent or the program flux tied their hands.

Joe Flacco clone?

Pickett = Palko

Lets hope he will wait his turn unlike Flacco.

This is what I’m talking about above. Pitt fans have been kicked in the balls so long that we immediately find the black cloud around any silver lining.

Flacco transferred 12 years ago? And it still is the default. In reality, most of the QBs that transferred were no loss and had zero impact elsewhere. Hornibrook is the lone exception. No surprise since HCPC was probably the best QB evaluator since Walt. And the kid transferred due to the coach leaving.

Not picking on you. We’re all guilty. Don’t be afraid of depth.

Joe Flacco clone?

Pickett = Palko

Lets hope he will wait his turn unlike Flacco.

Pickett plays this year, so he's a junior by the time this class enrolls. Assuming Pickett works out and Beville is the future after him, with a redshirt, he's taking over the job his redshirt sophomore year. Why would he transfer? Flacco only had one year of separation between him and Palko, so transferring made sense. And thats' assuming Pickett is the real deal, which we don't really have enough data yet to say for sure.
But either way, you don't transfer when there are 3 years of separation.

Pickett plays this year, so he's a junior by the time this class enrolls. Assuming Pickett works out and Beville is the future after him, with a redshirt, he's taking over the job his redshirt sophomore year. Why would he transfer? Flacco only had one year of separation between him and Palko, so transferring made sense. And thats' assuming Pickett is the real deal, which we don't really have enough data yet to say for sure.
But either way, you don't transfer when there are 3 years of separation.

Wasn't sure what class Pickett was in--thought it might have been 2 years vs 3 separation.

Regarding Flacco--Yes, his decision made some sense since he wanted more PT.

On the other hand, I doubt it did anything for him in the long run. One year backup plus one year starting at Pitt would have almost certainly yielded the same NFL future as 2-years starting at (where was it? Delaware?)--at least IMHO.

Reactions: cashisking884
Wasn't sure what class Pickett was in--thought it might have been 2 years vs 3 separation.

On the other hand, I doubt it did anything for him in the long run. One year backup plus one year starting at Pitt would have almost certainly yielded the same NFL future as 2-years starting at (where was it? Delaware?)--at least IMHO.

Maybe. But what if the job isn't yours? Palko was one of the top QB recruits in the country. What was stopping Pitt from bringing in another in the next class? And then another?
If Flacco stays at Pitt, he has a one year window. You can't struggle in that one year (which he actually kind of did his first year at DE), otherwise maybe you lose your job to another highly acclaimed QB recruit, or even if you don't, you're still the guy with one year of struggling film for the draft to look at.
I agree if Flacco has the type of year he did in his last year at DE, his one year starting at Pitt, his draft stock is great. But it's tough to say, "I'm going to sit for 3 years and then bank on getting it right my only year."

Flacco has said that he has no hard feelings toward Pitt and that Palko squarely won the job. He said he didn’t see himself beating out Palko and given that Wanny had taken over for the coach that recruited him it isn’t a surprise he left.

Oh my, just when I didn't think you could be any siller based on your basketball commentaries, you question a guy's decision to leave Pitt that resulted in him being an NFL first round draft pick and Super Bowl winner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT