ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 Dumbest P5 Schools

...in that the political views of the two universities I mentioned in regards to certain worldwide events are indeed "dumb" to the greatest level of dumbness I stand by my post...

Would you say that WVU students, on the averaged, are more intelligent that Harvard students?

They will tell you it is because its the university's mission to educate the people of the state....and that's fine. But they should have a better branch campus system set up to filter those kids to branches.
Why? what does it matter? If they can get some education at the main campus, why not?

Reactions: wvmoose
Why? what does it matter? If they can get some education at the main campus, why not?

Because it hurts the brand and it hurts recruiting better students when they have to sit next to a kid who scored an 880 and had 2.4 GPA. At just about every other state school, those kids are filtered to a branch system. That is what WVU should do.

Reactions: xslfyk4
Maybe they have a mission to educate an average, mediocre local hillbilly student, because it's actually the right thing to do.

Yes it is but they shouldn't be at your main campus until they prove themselves at a branch. Serious students do not want to sit by these types of students. Fast forward to the 2:07 mark for the most WVU fan you'll ever see (not a student though). BTW, this isnt a Pitt fan. Its a YouTuber who goes to many rivalries dressed as a visting fan

Maybe they have a mission to educate an average, mediocre local hillbilly student, because it's actually the right thing to do.
Maybe the “right” thing, but it’s not the most successful thing. WVU’s graduation rate is only ~61%. That’s last in the B12 and the lowest in all of the P5 conferences.

Because it hurts the brand and it hurts recruiting better students when they have to sit next to a kid who scored an 880 and had 2.4 GPA. At just about every other state school, those kids are filtered to a branch system. That is what WVU should do.

Dude. WVU main campus is losing students. It is in a death spiral. Projected to lose 5K students in the next decade. They start kicking out the dummies Morgantown will be empty….

Reactions: pittmaninwv
Dude. WVU main campus is losing students. It is in a death spiral. Projected to lose 5K students in the next decade. They start kicking out the dummies Morgantown will be empty….

Good. It should be smaller and more selective. Send the marginal students to a branch.

They start sending the marginal students students to branch campuses it will be about the size of Slippery Rock.
Penn State created a massive branch campus system. The side effect of that is that it killed state run regional and private colleges. In PSU's case, it was a money grab and not a case of trying to educate the masses.

I guess I’ll be the the one to defend WVU….

Their mission first and foremost is to educate citizens from the state of West Virginia. That hurts their metric in USN&WR but, you know…actually helps their state…
But the problem is, and I read this from an article someone posted from their school newspaper, is they literally take anyone with a pulse. And what has happened, is not just bad "ratings", but a really bad graduation rate. We joke about it, but they literally take kids that should start off at a community college to see if they can handle the academic rigeurs of a 4 year university (I know insert joke here) and honestly many can't. And/or they take absolutely bogus majors that qualify them for well....night manager at Hardees. If that. They (a long with many other "college graduates") would be way better off at some trade/skill where they can have a long and successful career at a fraction of the cost.

It is a money grab for WVU and many schools. As we see on almost any world wide ratings on education, the US ain't got that good of a ranking. Yet in many cases, we go to school longer. England, University undergrad degree is 3 years. Many of the schools are more regimented (like Engineering) and without foo foo courses. That's not just a WVU problem, but WVU is one of the most egregious examples of schools just expanding and taking anyone because it is big business there.

But the problem is, and I read this from an article someone posted from their school newspaper, is they literally take anyone with a pulse. And what has happened, is not just bad "ratings", but a really bad graduation rate. We joke about it, but they literally take kids that should start off at a community college to see if they can handle the academic rigeurs of a 4 year university (I know insert joke here) and honestly many can't. And/or they take absolutely bogus majors that qualify them for well....night manager at Hardees. If that. They (a long with many other "college graduates") would be way better off at some trade/skill where they can have a long and successful career at a fraction of the cost.

It is a money grab for WVU and many schools. As we see on almost any world wide ratings on education, the US ain't got that good of a ranking. Yet in many cases, we go to school longer. England, University undergrad degree is 3 years. Many of the schools are more regimented (like Engineering) and without foo foo courses. That's not just a WVU problem, but WVU is one of the most egregious examples of schools just expanding and taking anyone because it is big business there.
Good points. I agree with you.

Yes it is but they shouldn't be at your main campus until they prove themselves at a branch. Serious students do not want to sit by these types of students. Fast forward to the 2:07 mark for the most WVU fan you'll ever see (not a student though). BTW, this isnt a Pitt fan. Its a YouTuber who goes to many rivalries dressed as a visting fan

You aren’t exactly a winning example of an “educated” person.

That's not completely true. The branch campuses are part of the mission of the school. Same deal. Provide schooling to the unwashed masses. Was never meant to compete directly even though that was the net effect once they expanded their four year programs.
And PASSHE pleaded with them and the legislature not to have them go to 4-year. They mostly have completely overlapping territories. It was a pure power and money grab by PSU and it has wasted very limited PA educational resources on duplicative services.

The sad thing is, the PASSHE are much better schools.

PASSHE schools are also competing with UPJ, UPG and UPB. Why go to CalU when you can go to UPG?

West Virginia’s smaller public schools are hurting worse than the PASSHE schools.

It may also be cheaper for PA students to attend West Virginia U than it is for them to attend CalU.

And PASSHE pleaded with them and the legislature not to have them go to 4-year. They mostly have completely overlapping territories. It was a pure power and money grab by PSU and it has wasted very limited PA educational resources on duplicative services.

The sad thing is, the PASSHE are much better schools.

The competition that the PA state universities face from the PSU high schools in every county have crushed them to the point that the PA state schools have to be among the worst in the country.

PASSHE schools are also competing with UPJ, UPG and UPB. Why go to CalU when you can go to UPG?

West Virginia’s smaller public schools are hurting worse than the PASSHE schools.
Two things, PSU branches dwarf Pitt and both schools have been losing enrollment at a higher rate than PASSHE.

Pitt has ~4400 in branches which is down 36% since 2010 and PSU has ~23k in branch campuses which is down 30% since 2010.

PASSHE is down around 29% over the same period.

Penn State Fayette is actually closer to Cal... only 20 miles away.

Pitt's regional campuses all opened when Pitt was still a private university, and each opened at the lobbying of the university by the particular communities.

UPJ dates to 1927 and is the only secular and now the only 4-year public college in Cambria County. St. Francis and Mt Aloysius are the other two colleges in the county, the latter of which was a junior college until the 1990s. There are also no colleges in the immediate adjacent counties of Somerset and Bedford to the south. UPJ is ranked #12 in US News regional colleges North region.

The other Pitt regionals all date to the 60s baby boom college years.

UPB is the only university of any type in its home county of McKean, but there are also no other colleges in any of the 5 surrounding adjacent counties of Warren, Forest, Elk, Cameron, or Potter. To this day, UPB is the only thing for higher ed in that area. UPB is ranked #20 in US News regional colleges North region.

UPG was the only secular and now public college in Westmoreland County, aside from Penn State New Kensignton, if you count that.

Titusville never expanded beyond being a 2 year college, and now has been converted to a regional training hub under the auspices of UPB, but the only other college in Crawford County was Allegheny College.

Last edited:

Pitt's regional campuses all opened when Pitt was still a private university, and each opened at the lobbying of the university by the particular communities.

UPJ dates to 1927 and is the only secular and now the only 4-year public college in Cambria County. St. Francis and Mt Aloysius are the other two colleges in the county, the latter of which was a junior college until the 1990s. There are also no colleges in the immediate adjacent counties of Somerset and Bedford to the south.

UPB is the only university of any type in its home county of McKean, but there are also no other colleges in any of the 5 surrounding adjacent counties of Warren, Forest, Elk, Cameron, or Potter. To this day, UPB is the only thing for higher ed in that area.

UPG was the only secular and now public college in Westmoreland County, aside from Penn State New Kensignton, if you count that.

Titusville never expanded beyond being a 2 year college, and now has been converted to a regional training hub under the auspicies of UPB, but the only other college in Crawford County was Allegheny College.

That article says Titusville has 23 students. That cant be right. I drove past that campus for the 1st time last year and was shocked how small it was. I guess I should have expected that but its really just a medium size HS building. How is it still operating.

FWIW, I always thought Pitt should build a branch campus in suburban Philly. Philly kids dont like Temple and there’s no great public school options out there. Its why you get a large percentage of Philly kids going to Pitt and even a good number to WVU

PSU has 19 branch campuses which is the most branch campuses in the country….by a lot. The branch campuses represent 40% of the total student population. The campuses almost all compete with existing universities in the region. I hate to downgrade higher education but if PSU is not a diploma mill, I don’t know what is.

Reactions: FireballZ

UPJ dates to 1927 and is the only secular and now the only 4-year public college in Cambria County. St. Francis and Mt Aloysius are the other two colleges in the county, the latter of which was a junior college until the 1990s. There are also no colleges in the immediate adjacent counties of Somerset and Bedford to the south.

UPB is the only university of any type in its home county of McKean, but there are also no other colleges in any of the 5 surrounding adjacent counties of Warren, Forest, Elk, Cameron, or Potter. To this day, UPB is the only thing for higher ed in that area.

Titusville never expanded beyond being a 2 year college, and now has been converted to a regional training hub under the auspicies of UPB, but the only other college in Crawford County was Allegheny College.
In my neck of the woods, we call PSNK "Grade 13".

Reactions: Parkview57
If so, you need to tell that to the guy I wrote about: The WVU grad who parked our cars at the US Grant Hotel in San Diego. Majored in hotel administration. Took the low end valet job because he thought he could work his way up. Passed over for promotion for 12 years, which he was convinced was 100% due to his WVU degree.

The fact is that many of their graduates have to leave the state to find work and then find a degree from WVU is worth absolutely nothing elsewhere.

I heard West Chester was moving to become "state subsidized" like PITT, PSU, Temple, and Lincoln but the state stopped them since they are such a cash cow for the PASSHE.
West Chester U is the brightest star in the PASSHE.

I heard West Chester was moving to become "state subsidized" like PITT, PSU, Temple, and Lincoln but the state stopped them since they are such a cash cow for the PASSHE.
They were trying to lobby for that..actually to get out of the PASSHE system... but it isn't happening.

PSU has 19 branch campuses which is the most branch campuses in the country….by a lot. The branch campuses represent 40% of the total student population. The campuses almost all compete with existing universities in the region. I hate to downgrade higher education but if PSU is not a diploma mill, I don’t know what is.
>50% of PSU students begin at a branch. It's a funnel system. And the rock bottom entrance criteria don't count against their main campus when they transfer there. Pitt is completely the opposite in that it tries to keep the students at the regionals all four years.

West Chester U is the brightest star in the PASSHE.

So I take it they are the best state school? Good for them. I am not familiar with how those schools were set up by I think PA did a really poor job of locating those schools and naming them. Of course, I dont know the demographics back then but when you look at Ohio, those schools are in medium-size cities, mostly:

Youngstown
Akron
Kent
Toledo
Cincinnati

And they are named after those cities. Seems like PA should have located these schools in like Altoona, Harrisburg, Erie, Scranton, Greensburg (more populated back then), cities like that.

That article says Titusville has 23 students. That cant be right. I drove past that campus for the 1st time last year and was shocked how small it was. I guess I should have expected that but its really just a medium size HS building. How is it still operating.

FWIW, I always thought Pitt should build a branch campus in suburban Philly. Philly kids dont like Temple and there’s no great public school options out there. Its why you get a large percentage of Philly kids going to Pitt and even a good number to WVU
Titusville had 28 students in the fall term. They're all associate degree nursing students. It is the only Pitt degree left on campus.

The rest of it now serves as a regional training hub stuff... Northern PA Regional College, Brockway Center for Arts & Tech, Manufacturing Assistance Center, Manchester Bidwell...all rent space from Pitt. It is way better than shutting it down, which was the other option, and one no one wanted.

You should have gotten out of your car. It has more than one building, including the former McKinney House mansion, on approximately two blocks:
20201105T01044944717862_1589477820496_UPT_Parking.PNG

Got rid of the student housing a couple of blocks east of the core campus, but has the rest.

IMG_4114.JPG

ptrWEBTitusville070817.jpg

pt-2.png

6511f2e913a03.image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: FireballZ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT