Top 5 American rock bands of all time

Best alternative American Bands
Smashing Pumpkins
The Pixies
Nine Inch Nails
Ministry
Nirvana

hon mention: REM, Sonic Youth
I think sonic youth is pretty darned influential - with out much acclaim .

i May sub kmfdm for ministry as to influence over music and groups that followed .

I like the pixies but dinosaur jr is far better to me

ive often contended smashing pumpkins put together arguably the best 3 records since rubber soul , revolver , sgt pepper- with gish, Siamese dream, and melon collie

Don’t @ me

Gotta give Talking Heads some love. Not top 5, but a very good American band that could get close to top 5. Gotta go with bands that were either influential overall, huge money grossing, top in a particular era, and a little bit of longevity.
Van Halen
Metallica
Nirvana
Springsteen, maybe
Grateful Dead
Talking Heads
I think the 5th positron can have lots of toss ups.

I think sonic youth is pretty darned influential - with out much acclaim .

i May sub kmfdm for ministry as to influence over music and groups that followed .

I like the pixies but dinosaur jr is far better to me

ive often contended smashing pumpkins put together arguably the best 3 records since rubber soul , revolver , sgt pepper- with gish, Siamese dream, and melon collie

Don’t @ me
I dunno. Ministry spanned some genre's early stuff like Revenge was that typical 80's alt poppish single that would show up on MTV and College Radio charts then graduating into songs like Stigmata and Jesus Built My Hot Rod that was the precursor to heavy industrial rock like NIN.

Zz Top
George Thorogood
Journey
Eagles
Fleetwood Mac
Had to add the Beachboys since they were responsible fun, fun , fun with the girls in the 60 's 70's.

Last edited:
The Beach Boys are the NPR anointed ones. Their music critics obsess over Brian Wilson and the depth of their songs. Sorry. I don’t see it.
You really don’t hear the musical complexity and harmonic layers?
I’m far from a beach boy fan - but pet sounds may be one of the most musically beautiful albums ever

Nickelback might have had a chance to move from very good to great had they stayed together.
For Nickelback fans they will be touring in 2020.
Looking forward to being there, whenever, and wherever there is

You really don’t hear the musical complexity and harmonic layers?
I’m far from a beach boy fan - but pet sounds may be one of the most musically beautiful albums ever
Nope. They remind of the artist who paints messes but the critics love. I just see a blob, or in this case, I hear fluff.

In my opinion to pick the Greatest American Bands, you have to consider a few things:

1. Songs - not only great songs, but songs that last.

2. Longevity - a band who's been around awhile

3. Ability of a group to draw big crowds to see their concerts.

4. Great Showmanship - ability to put on a great show and give people their money's worth.

Everyone has listed some great quality bands, no doubt. I'm an old guy who's been going to concerts since the 1970's. I used to believe that The Beach Boys were the Greatest American Band. I've seen The Eagles over several decades and saw them again recently. In my mind they are the greatest American band of all time.

They fulfill all the requirements that make a great band. Their songs are top quality that will last forever.

Chuck Berry and what ever 4 guys he pulled out of the audience to form a band, How about Sly and Chicago early stuff was outstanding later on though did not like them as much reinvented and commercially successful with Peter leading the singing

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
The Grateful Dead
Phish

Best alternative American Bands
Smashing Pumpkins
The Pixies
Nine Inch Nails
Ministry
Nirvana

hon mention: REM, Sonic Youth

REM
Nirvana
Replacements
Sonic Youth
Connells (very under-rated,pop band who never got commercial airplay but were big on college radio like WPTS in the late 80's)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT